Movies

I have been curious about that one for years considering how controversial it is and how much Disney wants you to forget about it
There's a miniseries on the movie they just did on You Must Remember This; I'd recommend it. It gives a pretty strong impression of what the movie's about and what's so messed-up about it. It sounds like the movie is backwards in its perspective and the politics it hints at, while the content itself is generic Disney shmaltz. It sounds like racist-grandparent-level offensive, where they're never out-and-out saying something you can put your finger on and reprimand, but you're definitely going to have to sit the kids down and explain why this shit didn't really fly in the mid-20th century, let alone in 2020.

There's a miniseries on the movie they just did on You Must Remember This; I'd recommend it. It gives a pretty strong impression of what the movie's about and what's so messed-up about it. It sounds like the movie is backwards in its perspective and the politics it hints at, while the content itself is generic Disney shmaltz. It sounds like racist-grandparent-level offensive, where they're never out-and-out saying something you can put your finger on and reprimand, but you're definitely going to have to sit the kids down and explain why this shit didn't really fly in the mid-20th century, let alone in 2020.
I’ve never listened to that podcast but that sounds interesting. I’ve been distracting myself with even more podcasts lately so this will fit right in.

Speaking of, Paul and Amy from Unspooled (podcast where they go through the AFI list of best films) have been sometimes doing live stream chats about other, light movies that maybe should be on the list. I’ve just watched the one for Big, so I’ll share that here. But they’ve also done Clue and Clueless. I really enjoy their conversations, so maybe some others here will too. Also I love the movie Big.

Speaking of, Paul and Amy from Unspooled (podcast where they go through the AFI list of best films) have been sometimes doing live stream chats about other, light movies that maybe should be on the list. I’ve just watched the one for Big, so I’ll share that here. But they’ve also done Clue and Clueless. I really enjoy their conversations, so maybe some others here will too. Also I love the movie Big.

I was listening to this for a while, but eventually I had to admit to myself that I just can’t stand Amy.

edit: Paul can be obnoxious too, but I had mostly made my peace with him from HDTGM. The two of them without a Jason or a June, though? Couldn’t take it.

I was listening to this for a while, but eventually I had to admit to myself that I just can’t stand Amy.

edit: Paul can be obnoxious too, but I had mostly made my peace with him from HDTGM. The two of them without a Jason or a June, though? Couldn’t take it.
Really? Why? I like them both. I really enjoy Paul on HDTGM too and when he’s a guest on other shows. Amy is good too, but maybe sometimes I don’t find myself agreeing with certain points of view or opinions she has. But I don’t mind that.

Really? Why? I like them both. I really enjoy Paul on HDTGM too and when he’s a guest on other shows. Amy is good too, but maybe sometimes I don’t find myself agreeing with certain points of view or opinions she has. But I don’t mind that.
I don’t know what it is exactly. There’s nothing wrong with her as a person, there’s just something about her presenter voice that sounds very affected and insincere to me. Like she’s trying to match Paul’s energy but it doesn’t sound natural. Plus I didn’t feel like I was getting much insight from them on these films that I couldn’t get from the IMDb trivia page. Sometimes HDTGM is like that too, but at least there’s jokes in between.

I don’t know what it is exactly. There’s nothing wrong with her as a person, there’s just something about her presenter voice that sounds very affected and insincere to me. Like she’s trying to match Paul’s energy but it doesn’t sound natural. Plus I didn’t feel like I was getting much insight from them on these films that I couldn’t get from the IMDb trivia page. Sometimes HDTGM is like that too, but at least there’s jokes in between.
I get more disappointed in some HDTGM episodes than Unspooled. But they’re still so light and fun that I don’t hate them. It’s mostly some of their picks for movies just aren’t that interesting.

Unspooled I don’t listen to every episode, but I’ve heard most of them. And just getting some opinions and whatnot on the films is nice. But I can kinda see what you’re saying about her energy trying to match Paul’s.

Took me five years, but I finally watched Bridge of Spies.

It reminds me of all the things I love about Spielberg as a director.

Check out the Manson series as well; it was my intro to the podcast and an all-timer.
I second the recommendation on the Manson eps of You Must Remember This. It was my primer going into seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood last year and was the perfect tuning fork to get into the era and culture of what Tarantino was going for.

I felt compelled to watch Soylent Green yesterday, which one can only surmise that it was my subconscious speaking to me given the current state of affairs. Admittedly, I feel like early 70s cinema is a bit of a mixed bag (outside of the obvious highs), but I think this one still holds up really well.

It's sci-fi without having to lean on too much of the special effects aspect of the genre, and rather outlining the "vibe" of dystopian sci-fri -- and it's noir without leaning in too heavily to esoteric characters and smoky (or in this instance "green-y") imagery.

Besides this, the message is obviously what holds up best. The fact that one character partook in
assisted suicide because he couldn't stand to see the truth for what society truly was
is obviously what we're smack dab in the middle of right now. And then there's the whole over-population / climate change / pollution issue at hand. Then of course there's the famous last lines which actually is what piqued my curiosity in the first place.

All-in-all, solid flick. While some may say this is a "classic", I still feel it would actually benefit from a well-crafted remake put into the hands of a respected director. Perhaps put more of a psychological spin on it vs. action-spin (i.e. how Total Recall remake completely flopped).

I felt compelled to watch Soylent Green yesterday, which one can only surmise that it was my subconscious speaking to me given the current state of affairs. Admittedly, I feel like early 70s cinema is a bit of a mixed bag (outside of the obvious highs), but I think this one still holds up really well.

It's sci-fi without having to lean on too much of the special effects aspect of the genre, and rather outlining the "vibe" of dystopian sci-fri -- and it's noir without leaning in too heavily to esoteric characters and smoky (or in this instance "green-y") imagery.

Besides this, the message is obviously what holds up best. The fact that one character partook in
assisted suicide because he couldn't stand to see the truth for what society truly was
is obviously what we're smack dab in the middle of right now. And then there's the whole over-population / climate change / pollution issue at hand. Then of course there's the famous last lines which actually is what piqued my curiosity in the first place.

All-in-all, solid flick. While some may say this is a "classic", I still feel it would actually benefit from a well-crafted remake put into the hands of a respected director. Perhaps put more of a psychological spin on it vs. action-spin (i.e. how Total Recall remake completely flopped).
Omega man is good too..old Charly Heston was on a roll with sci fi ..did the planet of the apes too

I still feel it would actually benefit from a well-crafted remake put into the hands of a respected director. Perhaps put more of a psychological spin on it vs. action-spin (i.e. how Total Recall remake completely flopped).
Definitely needs a new hook in the sense that everyone knows the twist in Soylent Green, so you have to make the preceding 100 minutes somehow worth watching because no one will be surprised if there's nothing new to it.

Definitely needs a new hook in the sense that everyone knows the twist in Soylent Green, so you have to make the preceding 100 minutes somehow worth watching because no one will be surprised if there's nothing new to it.
True. Though I had no idea I Am Legend and The Omega Man were based on the same book until a couple years ago. So maybe change the name from Soylent Green to Make Room (since it was based on the novel Make Room! Make Room!)

I guarantee there'd be folk walking out of there still surprised if it was marketed well. Now granted those in the know would still know it's coming but if David Fincher can make Zodiac an interesting piece for 2.5 hours then I've no doubt there's some gold buried in here. It's not about the ending as they say, but the jooouuurneeeey maaaan

They pre-announced the 2nd movie for tonight's airing of The Last Drive-in...

It's Cannibal Holocaust. This movie has some disturbing on screen animal killing....so I get why they let people know. It is also good to know that the all animals killed were also used as food by the indigenous people in the movie.

The Grindhouse Releasing bluray comes with a "cruelty-free" version of the movie.

Last edited:
They pre-announced the 2nd movie for tonight's airing of The Last Drive-in...

It's Cannibal Holocaust. This movie as some disturbing on screen animal killing....so I get why they let people know. It is also good to know that the all animals killed were also used as food by the indigenous people in the movie.

The Grindhouse Releasing bluray comes with a "cruelty-free" version of the movie.

Heard of it by reputation only. Is the actual movie any good or just good for shock value?

Back