Movies

2001 is up there for sure. All of the Alien movies, Interstellar, The Martian, Moon, High Life, Solaris, Gravity, First Man, I am hoping to watch Ad Astra this weekend.
It was great, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for the recs, I’ve seen most of these except for Moon, Solaris and The Martian. Have you seen Blade Runner 2049?

It was great, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for the recs, I’ve seen most of these except for Moon, Solaris and The Martian. Have you seen Blade Runner 2049?
Oh yeah, I guess I was just doing space movies but yeah I Love both Blade Runner Movies the directors of 2049’s other sci-fi movie Arrival is rad too, I am really looking forward to his version of Dune. Annihilation is other good recent one. You could also toss in Ex Machina and then you could add Primer which might be the best time travel flick and that directors other movie Upstream Color is dope too. Lots of good scI-fi over the past 20 years or so.

Me and my lady are on a Sci-Fi roll after watching 2001 & Ad Astra recently. What’re everyone’s fave Sci Fi flicks?
Silent Runnings is another good one .... the first Star Trek movie has its critics but the new director cut that’s on most DVDs etc makes it a much better film than the one I saw at the movies as a lad ..had no idea what was going on but visually it was stunning ...and wrath of Khan is great ..and I really like J J Abraham’s 1st two reboots

2001 is up there for sure. All of the Alien movies, Interstellar, The Martian, Moon, High Life, Solaris, Gravity, First Man, I am hoping to watch Ad Astra this weekend.

First Man...sci-fi? 🤔

2001, Alien(s), Arrival, Blade Runner/BR2049, Contact, Ex Machina, Moon. Soft spot for Source Code.

Oh yeah, I guess I was just doing space movies but yeah I Love both Blade Runner Movies the directors of 2049’s other sci-fi movie Arrival is rad too, I am really looking forward to his version of Dune. Annihilation is other good recent one. You could also toss in Ex Machina and then you could add Primer which might be the best time travel flick and that directors other movie Upstream Color is dope too. Lots of good scI-fi over the past 20 years or so.

Coherence is another great no-budget sci-fi flick.

Tonight was the season finale for season 2 of The Last Drive-in with Joe Bob Briggs....and I slept through it.

I'll watch them later when they can be streamed....

Movie #1 - Hellraiser 2

They had Ashley Lawrence and Doug Bradley on as guests, so that will be interesting to watch.

Movie #2 - Hell Comes to Frogtown

I picked up the movies "Anna" and "Galvingston" yesterday on the iTunes store. They were on sale for $4.99 for 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

I watched Anna last night and thought it was a really good movie. Going to have to watch it again to put more pieces together. It's one of those movies where time is not in order.

Going to watch Galvingston today.

Got a few more Criterion blu rays recently...

Scorsese Shorts
Hoop Dreams
House
Do The Right Thing
All About Eve

and I just got Portrait Of A Lady On Fire.

Yeah and this is just the past month... what happens when that sale hits?

I watched Portrait Of A Lady On Fire this morning and I’ve now been thinking about it all day. I wish I had had the chance to see this in the theater, but still it looked amazing. So many beautiful shots, restrained acting, tenseness in the quiet. What a fantastic film. I think if I had seen it last year as opposed to this year it would have been in my top 5 of 2019. As it stands, I am just in love with how this movie is crafted and how well it works. Criterion really rushed to get this out and I know why. It deserves it. I wish it had slightly better packaging and even more extras, but it’s still a lovely thing.

I just finished watching '7500' on Amazon Prime. It was actually really good (although my expectations for it were low so maybe that helped). Tense scenes, lots of shouting at the tv moments.

Breaking out some of my old Asian cinema DVDs and Blu-Rays during this down period. I've always had a soft spot for a fun martial arts flick.

Last night I watched my Blu-Ray version of "A Touch of Zen". I had purchased the movie years back, but I don't think I had actually ever watched that copy of the film, mainly due to the 3 hour time investment that is required. I had an older DVD version, and I remember liking the movie quite a bit, but that version was tough to view because the print was so dark during the night time scenes. The Blu-Ray version has given me even more appreciation for this film, which was a big inspiration for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". It isn't your traditional martial arts film. I mean, it does have fight scenes sprinkled throughout, and the storyline is pretty simple, but the cinematography is fantastic, and the acting is better than average. It is more of an actual film...that features martial arts themes and action in places. It is a slower moving film for sure, but, with a title like "A Touch of Zen", I feel like that is kind of to be expected.

I also re-watched both "Lady Snowblood" films earlier in the week. The first one is a classic, but, for some reason, I enjoyed the second one more this time than I have before.

Might try and revisit the Samurai Trilogy this coming week. It has been a while since I watched those.

Last edited:
Back