Movies

I watched Beastie Boys Story tonight on Apple TV+

Pretty much a condensed version of their book...so it was good...but really wasn't better.

I think the audiobook version of the book was even better than both.

Just finished this. Loved it. Still need to read the book. The “movie” was nice because you could hear and see Yauch.
I miss them and am very fortunate that I experienced them when I did.

Season 2 of The Last Drive-In started tonight.

Movie #1 of the double feature is Chopping Mall.

Movie #2 was Bloodsucking Freaks.

The director, Joel M. Reed recently died of Covid-19.

Trailer is very NSFW

Last edited:
I rewatched Magnolia yesterday on a whim. It was a quiet Sunday afternoon and I sat on the patio where my mom has a tv and sound system set up.

You know those days where you sift through the content trays on Netflix for hours and never know what to throw on? That didn't happen. I just opened the app and had the title on the "suggested" tray and picked it. It's not like I went onto Netflix with the intention of watching the film, it just so happened to be a minor moment of kismet. It was the right suggestion at the right moment, conveniently delivered to me by an algorithm that has really improved as of late.

This is a movie I've seen at least five times beforehand. But for some reason, this rewatch was particularly resonant. Maybe it was the setting: outdoors with the sound of the breeze kicking in occasional and bird songs warbling lightly. But I just felt every goddamn scene. What a wallop.

I rewatched Magnolia yesterday on a whim. It was a quiet Sunday afternoon and I sat on the patio where my mom has a tv and sound system set up.

You know those days where you sift through the content trays on Netflix for hours and never know what to throw on? That didn't happen. I just opened the app and had the title on the "suggested" tray and picked it. It's not like I went onto Netflix with the intention of watching the film, it just so happened to be a minor moment of kismet. It was the right suggestion at the right moment, conveniently delivered to me by an algorithm that has really improved as of late.

This is a movie I've seen at least five times beforehand. But for some reason, this rewatch was particularly resonant. Maybe it was the setting: outdoors with the sound of the breeze kicking in occasional and bird songs warbling lightly. But I just felt every goddamn scene. What a wallop.

Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the filmmakers I've really meant to dive into but never have. I oughta.

Damn, RIP to Irrfan Khan. Can't say I ever saw the majority of his work, but he was always immediately recognizable and had that kind of quality that demanded your attention whenever he was on screen. If you find yourself in the mood for some light fare, the 2013 film The Lunchbox was really nice. I always thought he was a lot older than he actually was.

Damn, RIP to Irrfan Khan. Can't say I ever saw the majority of his work, but he was always immediately recognizable and had that kind of quality that demanded your attention whenever he was on screen. If you find yourself in the mood for some light fare, the 2013 film The Lunchbox was really nice. I always thought he was a lot older than he actually was.

He was easily the best part of The Namesake. What screen presence.

Continuing my journey through Disney classics... in the past couple of weeks, we've done

Dumbo (loved it so much, even if it's lacking in certain areas and problematic in other areas, there's still so much great emotion this story and its characters)

Cinderella (out of the princess movies this one might be my favorite. it has more of a concrete plot construction, great side characters, and a more fleshed-out central character)

Beauty And The Beast (I used to watch this all the time as a kid, so some of it came flooding right back to me when we watched it - other parts I had no recollection of. Some of the animation, like the nature scenes and backgrounds look incredible...the character designs of the humans though...not my thing. there's so much charming about this movie though, even if again it has its problems...but the music is great, the musical sequences are fantastic, and again there's just a shade more to the princess character here than in past ones)

So around Sleeping Beauty and Dumbo I started to wonder...what do these live action versions look like? How are they? Probably bad, right? Well, naturally, I am now checking them out.

I have done Maleficent so far. It seemed to have the most potential in terms of telling a new story. And yeah there are aspects of it I really like, but I feel like for a new take on the classic story...for a look at the inner workings of a classic villain...it was kinda...boring. Parts were pretty good, but as a whole...not so much. The CGI was rough in a lot of places. The three good fairies especially were...yikes. But I kinda appreciate the twist in the ending re-write. I predicted it, but it still was a kinda nice. Not perfect, but decent.

Now I'm onto Maleficent 2. And yeah, as expected it's not as good. I haven't finished it yet, but the bombardment of not great CGI, the deeper dive into fairy stuff...is just not that interesting. Maleficent as a character should be so dynamic and fascinating, but especially in this one, she's just not. Bummer.

Dumbo is up next. Anticipation is not high. I absolutely loathed Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland. It's so fucking bad to me, so this one, I just don't know how it'll go down.

Also this weekend we're finally gonna do Fantasia. Even though I haven't seen it in years, I believe in my heart and in my memory that it's one of the most ambitious and interesting animated films possibly ever. We'll see.

I deeply love Magnolia. It threatens to go off the rails from the beginning, but PTA keeps it tightly woven. The acting is so great all over the film too. The amount of character that every actor packs into their screen time is impressive.

Back