Movies

Fantasia is definitely one of the biggest pinnacles in animated film. Although...it's not perfect. I'd reduce a segment or two, and cut one out entirely. Then it would be pretty flawless. But the animation and music is so often so transporting, I just love it. I also love how ambitious it is, and how Walt tried so hard to get it made only for it to kinda flop a little bit when it came out. The history of it is worth reading into.

Live action Dumbo is, well, like the other live action Disney films...kind of dumb. Again, there are things I like in it, but there's also a lot of things I think are terrible. It updates the icky positive feeling the original gives off in terms of circuses, but it doesn't gel with the period it is set in. The layout of Dreamland is kinda cool, but also a little too...steampunk-y maybe. The emotion of Dumbo as a character, especially in regards to his relationship with his mom still works in this version though.

Last night we watched Peter Pan...and yikes. Out of all these early Disney films, this is the one that has the biggest problematic outdated cultural depictions. It's...really bad. Worse than you might remember honestly. Now, I love the story and the themes, and the imagery...but that one section I am referring to kinda ruins the whole thing.

Fantasia is definitely one of the biggest pinnacles in animated film. Although...it's not perfect. I'd reduce a segment or two, and cut one out entirely. Then it would be pretty flawless. But the animation and music is so often so transporting, I just love it. I also love how ambitious it is, and how Walt tried so hard to get it made only for it to kinda flop a little bit when it came out. The history of it is worth reading into.

Live action Dumbo is, well, like the other live action Disney films...kind of dumb. Again, there are things I like in it, but there's also a lot of things I think are terrible. It updates the icky positive feeling the original gives off in terms of circuses, but it doesn't gel with the period it is set in. The layout of Dreamland is kinda cool, but also a little too...steampunk-y maybe. The emotion of Dumbo as a character, especially in regards to his relationship with his mom still works in this version though.

Last night we watched Peter Pan...and yikes. Out of all these early Disney films, this is the one that has the biggest problematic outdated cultural depictions. It's...really bad. Worse than you might remember honestly. Now, I love the story and the themes, and the imagery...but that one section I am referring to kinda ruins the whole thing.
The Indians?

Yes. I had forgotten about it completely so it was kind of a shock... I remember the black crows in Dumbo being referenced as racist but I think the stuff in Peter Pan is worse.
Yeah, they were certainly "of their time". Also, tread lightly if you decide to give Songs of The South a go. That one is certainly problematic. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah indeed!

Yeah, they were certainly "of their time". Also, tread lightly if you decide to give Songs of The South a go. That one is certainly problematic. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah indeed!
The first time I saw this movie was in my Georgia History Class in 8th grade. That was 1996. As a young Canadian immigrant I had no idea the cultural significance and insensitivity.

Disney is pulling forward the release date for the filmed Hamilton live with the original cast to ummm this July.
I wish Warner Bros would do something similar and still release In The Heights this summer (instead of pushing it back a year), but this is good news nonetheless.

Another Friday night spent watching Joe Bob Briggs The Last Drive-In.

First movie is Brain Damage.

I had the poster for the movie Brain Damage on my wall when I was a kid I was huge horror fan, I re-watched it not that long ago and it still held up.

Primer....

After watching Prince of Thieves you need to break out some Robin Hood: Men In Tights

I can 1 up that.

After Robin Hood: Price of Thieves I can spin this record:

Foldout-cover including the text:
The special collector's disc commemorates the sale of over 1,500,000 copies of "(EVERYTHING I DO) I DO IT FOR YOU" In The UK

"Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven"
Taken from the A&M Album, Cassette & Compact Disc "Waking Up The Neighbours" 397 164-1/4/2
℗1991 A&M Records Inc. Los Angeles.

"Somebody (Live)"
Original studio version appears on the A&M Album, Cassette & Compact Disc "Reckless" AMA/AMC/CDA 5013
℗1989 A&M Records Inc. Los Angeles.

"(Everything I Do) I Do It For You (Single Version)"
Original version appears on the A&M Album, Cassette & Compact Disc "Waking Up The Neighbours" 397 164-1/4/2
℗1991 A&M Records Inc. Los Angeles.

©1992 A&M Records Inc. Los Angeles.
A&M Records, Ltd. are the exclusive licensees of the U.K.

Made in England

Back