Movies

Whoa, how did I miss this one?!? Everything about this is straight up my 5 year old alley.

And that moment when they show the cowboy and that guitar solo comes in? Honestly has no right to be as badass as it is.
Right! it was fun. I remember in the early 2000s while I was in college, the Cartoon Network had an 1 hour early afternoon weekday block where they would show back to back Thundercats and SilverHawks. I am not saying it was the best thing ever, but it held up better than a lot of 80’s cartoons did nostalgia wise.

IMO Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus are better. I also think the director’s cut of Alien 3 is much better than it’s given credit. Covenant is pretty enjoyable too just a bit less enjoyable than the rest.
If we're talking alternate cuts as well... it's a tricky franchise to nail down. The assembly cut is an intriguing misfire. Covenant is really provocative and not as hamfisted as Prometheus, a movie I enjoyed a lot less during a recent rewatch.

David killing our God and hell-bent on destroying us as well is just *chef's kiss*

Watched “Willow” again last night ..good family movie
I gave it a go yesterday. I would say it holds up nicely. Though I will say as an adult who has read LOTR since first seeing Willow I will say it is super influenced by Tolkien (which isn’t a bad thing necessarily just didn’t have that as a reference point when I watched it as a small child). I found it entertaining enough.

A couple things I learned that I did not realize; Willow was directed by Ron Howard. Also, Val Kilmer met his future (now ex) wife, Joanne Whalley during the filming.

Wife and I watched The Lighthouse this weekend. It's on Prime if you're looking to stream it. I liked it a lot, not sure how my wife felt. It was really unsettling in all the right ways, and I liked how the handled the ending. Also, if you're on the fence due to Robert Pattinson being in it, his acting was much better in this. Just goes to show how much a project can bring out the best/worst in an actor.

Wife and I watched The Lighthouse this weekend. It's on Prime if you're looking to stream it. I liked it a lot, not sure how my wife felt. It was really unsettling in all the right ways, and I liked how the handled the ending. Also, if you're on the fence due to Robert Pattinson being in it, his acting was much better in this. Just goes to show how much a project can bring out the best/worst in an actor.
Willem DaFoe is a national treasure.

I gave it a go yesterday. I would say it holds up nicely. Though I will say as an adult who has read LOTR since first seeing Willow I will say it is super influenced by Tolkien (which isn’t a bad thing necessarily just didn’t have that as a reference point when I watched it as a small child). I found it entertaining enough.

A couple things I learned that I did not realize; Willow was directed by Ron Howard. Also, Val Kilmer met his future (now ex) wife, Joanne Whalley during the filming.

Joanne Whaley was super hot! She was also a great actress , brilliant in the BBC drama Edge of Darkness

Today I saw a Mexican film called Vuelven (Tigers Are Not Afraid), and it's kind of a lower-budget spiritual cousin to Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone set in the drug wars, with bleak City of God-style realism mixed with dark fantasy/horror. It wasn't as good as del Toro's Spanish-language films, but it has some genuinely creepy and beautiful moments, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on what the director (Issa López) does next.

Last edited:
These action figures were great lots flying projectiles if I remember correctly, there are a lot of things like this that could be rebooted in fun ways. C.O.P.S., M.A.S.K., Silver Hawks, right off the top of my head (I would have said Thundercats, but I think the Cats Movie this past year showed us that we aren’t quite there yet technology wise to do anthropomorphic cats justice). But Bravestar could be awesome, few things are cooler than cowboys and in outer space.

...Speaking of space cowboys I think a nice TV/Movie adaptation of Fear Agent is long overdue.
View attachment 42019
I have those and need to read them yet, but Remender has definitely been prepping more TV adaptations of some sort. I'm obsessed with everything I've read of his (esp. LOW).

Today I saw a Mexican film called Vuelven (Tigers Are Not Afraid), and it's kind of a lower-budget spiritual cousin to Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone set in the drug wars, with bleak City of God-style realism mixed with dark fantasy/horror. It wasn't as good as del Toro's Spanish-language films, but it has some genuinely creepy and beautiful moments, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on what the director (Issa López) does next.
Watched it last week. Really liked it!

Back