Movies

Watched The Sound of Metal last night. Thought it was really well done. I actually have hearing problems myself although it's a 1 sided thing but the moment he lost his hearing / hearing test / surgical consultation is all too familiar. Losing all your hearing is extremely frightening to me and probably isn't something that anyone really thinks of until it occurs to them so this hits really close to home.

I don't really understand why awards shows are still a thing. They don't mean anything... It's like the "Top 100 rock songs of all time!" lists... they're just a small group of peoples opinion on something everyone has different opinions on. Like, sure, give lifetime achievement awards to people who have done a lot in a field, whatever, that seems reasonable. But, "This person acted better than every other person last year!" Or "This movie was the best movie last year!" are not only incredibly subjective, but silly. Why do people care?

I guess I'm especially confused when folks here get really into it. This is a fairly eclectic gathering of folks, we all see the validity of differing preferences and opinions. What some random group of industry people decide is worth acclaim isn't relevant to anything...

Someone please explain to me the allure.
It's fun

Long answer: As someone who's passionate about movies, it's nice to have an event where yearly accomplishments are recognized. Of course, I know none of it matters, and there are plenty of misses (Joker got 11 noms just last year), But I feel like the Academy does a pretty decent job of showcasing the good stuff more often than not. The oscars are not like the Grammys (at least yet) where whatever is the most popular just sweeps.

Normally I'd totally get that, but I just don't see the fun in it. It's like looking forward to winning "employee of the month" only it's selected by a group of people you don't know and don't really understand your job. It's so irrelevant to anything. It might as well be some computer algorithm that decides... though arguably at least there would be variables programmed in that gave it a reason to pick one thing over the other... Now I see that a decision made by A.I. holds more weight than these awards.

It's pandering and elitism.

Normally I'd totally get that, but I just don't see the fun in it. It's like looking forward to winning "employee of the month" only it's selected by a group of people you don't know and don't really understand your job. It's so irrelevant to anything. It might as well be some computer algorithm that decides... though arguably at least there would be variables programmed in that gave it a reason to pick one thing over the other... Now I see that a decision made by A.I. holds more weight than these awards.

I can't disagree with any of this

It's pandering for sure, but the Oscars are middlebrow at best.

This could apply to any subjective competition. Even if you don’t agree with the nomination or winners it still sparks debate from those who are passionate and attention to films that might not garner enough on their own. It’s certainly not perfect but that is fine also as long as viewers keep it all in perspective. Over the past few years #OscarsAreSoWhite has helped draw attention to a lack of diversity within the film industry as a whole and while things are still far from equitable there has been an attempt to course correct which is starting to reflect both in terms of nominees and winners.

But beyond that different strokes for different folks. You don’t have to enjoy award shows if it’s not your thing. Personally, what I have enjoyed more recently is the collective experience that award shows provide. Lots of people watching and experiencing the same thing at the same time. These mass communal events used to be much more common place but as entertainment options have become more varied it feels like these events happen much less often. The Oscars and last night the Grammy’s provide an opportunity to connect and I enjoy them more and more for that very reason.

This could apply to any subjective competition. Even if you don’t agree with the nomination or winners it still sparks debate from those who are passionate and attention to films that might not garner enough on their own. It’s certainly not perfect but that is fine also as long as viewers keep it all in perspective. Over the past few years #OscarsAreSoWhite has helped draw attention to a lack of diversity within the film industry as a whole and while things are still far from equitable there has been an attempt to course correct which is starting to reflect both in terms of nominees and winners.

But beyond that different strokes for different folks. You don’t have to enjoy award shows if it’s not your thing. Personally, what I have enjoyed more recently is the collective experience that award shows provide. Lots of people watching and experiencing the same thing at the same time. These mass communal events used to be much more common place but as entertainment options have become more varied it feels like these events happen much less often. The Oscars and last night the Grammy’s provide an opportunity to connect and I enjoy them more and more for that very reason.
I can get behind that. I used to "watch" a lot of college football because I like friends and chicken wings.

It's pandering for sure, but the Oscars are middlebrow at best.
What I love about the Oscars is that they are PEAK middlebrow. Over their entire history, you never know which direction it would swing. Junk like Green Book can win best picture as recently as two years ago, and yet there were points where wild shit like Cries and Whispers and Seven Beauties were nominated for BP. The unpredictability is half the fun.

I don't quite know how to describe it, but while knowing full well the Oscars are driven by money and campaigning, and that the nominees are often presaged by the Golden Globes and the HFPA is largely a bullshit cloister of old white dudes...knowing all that, I still enjoy watching fame-os get dressed up and hand one another gold statues. I like trying to predict the winners beyond who/what I think should win, and often the awards are a barometer of what types of movies are de rigueur, as well as what trends we'll see copied in the wake of what wins.

It's like being a record collector and regular concert-goer who sometimes goes to Battles of the Bands; music isn't competitive by nature, and the concept of judging live acts is a losing proposition in itself, but occasionally it's fun to just watch 'em battle.

pcdC8Br.gif

In all, I think this is probably the best set of noms in a while. The academy brought in a ton of young and diverse new members in the last year, and it shows.
I agree. Didn’t love Da 5 Bloods, but was hoping Delroy would get a nom (I thought he was incredible). I think the supporting actor category is great, very happy to see Paul Raci get a nod, but I think Lindo was a better candidate than Sacha. Still, it feels like a better year than most

I agree. Didn’t love Da 5 Bloods, but was hoping Delroy would get a nom (I thought he was incredible). I think the supporting actor category is great, very happy to see Paul Raci get a nod, but I think Lindo was a better candidate than Sacha. Still, it feels like a better year than most
I would boot Gary Oldman for Delroy Lindo in a heartbeat.

I would boot Gary Oldman for Delroy Lindo in a heartbeat.
Word. I just love Gary Oldman and I enjoyed Mank more than Trial of the Chicago 7

I also think it’s hard with the ensemble casts to differentiate between who should qualify for Best Actor/Supporting Actor

Woah.

Pleasently surprised at all the nominations for The Sound of Metal but also fairly shocked at all the love for Promising Young Woman. As a big fan of Killing Eve, I was fairly disappointed by it and felt it was quite uneven.

Not surprised Zendaya (Malcom and Marie) got snubbed but think it's a shame. And who the hell thought the actors from Judas should be be pitted against each other in best supporting.

Biggest snub overall imo is definitely the doc Boys State. Probs because it's stuck on Apple TV and so nobody has seen it.

Really need to see Minari, Another Round and Nomadland

Woah.

Pleasently surprised at all the nominations for The Sound of Metal but also fairly shocked at all the love for Promising Young Woman. As a big fan of Killing Eve, I was fairly disappointed by it and felt it was quite uneven.

Not surprised Zendaya (Malcom and Marie) got snubbed but think it's a shame. And who the hell thought the actors from Judas should be be pitted against each other in best supporting.

Biggest snub overall imo is definitely the doc Boys State. Probs because it's stuck on Apple TV and so nobody has seen it.

I’m sure you know this already but Nomadland and Another Round are streaming on Hulu. Haven’t seen the latter, but plan to soon

Woah.

I thought PYW was uneven and flawed as well BUT it took a few big swings and some of them hit, which is pretty admirable for a debut, so I'd say the noms are deserved. Just imo.

Judas is definitely category fraud but I feel if that's what it took for their excellent performances to be recognized, so be it. The best actor category was way too stacked for either of them to make it.

Minari, Another Round, and Nomadland are all great. Enjoy!

I’m sure you know this already but Nomadland and Another Round are streaming on Hulu. Haven’t seen the latter, but plan to soon

Yeah. I don't have access to Hulu atm. Amazon + Netflix + Spotify + NBA League Pass + the new Playstation 5 is already pushing the limits of my budget. I'm leaning towards canceling Netflix and switching over because FX alone is better than Netflix (and they cancel all my favorite shows anyways)... but then I question if I want to give my $$$ to Disney whose merger with Fox cost more than a couple of my friends their jobs (among many other reasons to hate Disney). And yes, I see the irony in complaining about Disney while admitting to having an Amazon sub.

Surmise it to say that I detest the effect streaming services have had on the film industry and miss the days of Blockbuster... it's actually part of why I bailed on the industry (worked as an editor for a decade). If your goal is making indie films, good luck finding distribution on a wide enough scale that people actually see it... But that's just me.

On a more positive note, I definitely recommend Sean Durkin's new film The Nest. His debut Marcy Martha May Marlene was one of my 10 or so favorite films of last decade. 9 years later, after numerous project fell apart, he finally got a 2nd go at it... and it's damn good. Isn't on any streaming services but can be rented in HD for the very reasonable price of 5 bucks from YouTube.

Oh and because I mentioned it as biggest snub:

Last edited:
Back