Movies

Were watching The Quiet Man (w/ The Duke and Maureen O'hara) tonight for St Pats. Directed by the great John Ford.

I think I’ve seen that film about 7 million times. The village it’s filmed in is 3 miles from the farm my mum grew up on. The real star of that film is the countryside on the Galway/Mayo border!

Last edited:
Alright someone needs to hose you down about all this DC love. It's a fun garbage movie for sure. But it's on the level of mid-tier Marvel.
I enjoyed it more than most of the MCU. There's also only something like four legitimately good MCU movies.

For those of you keeping tabs, those films are:

Black Panther
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
GOTG

That's not including Venom or Into the Spiderverse.

I recently did an MCU rewatch and most Marvel films are at least competent but the template is so boring and you never really question a hero's motivations or actions. You take for granted they're always trying to do the right thing. Until Civil War (and I guess parts of Ultron). And I legit felt for Arthur Curry, who is like an inverse Superman: he has to serve as a bridge between two species and yet he hates that and wants to run away from his responsibility.

If anything else, the DCU made their characters reflect against each other in often intriguing ways. Marvel never really got that. It's a collection of people we like who we want to be ok. which is fine but... *shrugs*

Into the Spiderverse effectively ruined superhero films for me. Here was tangible proof that these films can be artful, creative, different, and all sorts of other things, and nothing has come close or even tried to be that since. Endgame was a mindless, dumb fun conclusion to the whole thing and was the perfect point for me to hop off.

I rewatched Black Panther after Chadwick Boseman passed, the only MCU film I've rewatched, or had any interest in rewatching since maybe the first Avengers, and it barely registered a spark in me. It's kind of wild how invested I was seeing The Avengers at midnight a decade ago, but now when I hear of whatever 'content' disney is cooking up at this point, I just feel cold.

I enjoyed it more than most of the MCU. There's also only something like four legitimately good MCU movies.

For those of you keeping tabs, those films are:

Black Panther
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
GOTG

That's not including Venom or Into the Spiderverse.

I recently did an MCU rewatch and most Marvel films are at least competent but the template is so boring and you never really question a hero's motivations or actions. You take for granted they're always trying to do the right thing. Until Civil War (and I guess parts of Ultron). And I legit felt for Arthur Curry, who is like an inverse Superman: he has to serve as a bridge between two species and yet he hates that and wants to run away from his responsibility.

If anything else, the DCU made their characters reflect against each other in often intriguing ways. Marvel never really got that. It's a collection of people we like who we want to be ok. which is fine but... *shrugs*
You can enjoy it more, but it's no less formulaic.

Into the Spiderverse effectively ruined superhero films for me. Here was tangible proof that these films can be artful, creative, different, and all sorts of other things, and nothing has come close or even tried to be that since. Endgame was a mindless, dumb fun conclusion to the whole thing and was the perfect point for me to hop off.

I rewatched Black Panther after Chadwick Boseman passed, the only MCU film I've rewatched, or had any interest in rewatching since maybe the first Avengers, and it barely registered a spark in me. It's kind of wild how invested I was seeing The Avengers at midnight a decade ago, but now when I hear of whatever 'content' disney is cooking up at this point, I just feel cold.
Black Panther is a mid tier marvel movie. Boseman and Jordan's performances save it from being part of the boring "origin story" tier.

Especially after Wandavision gave up on its initial promise of a fresher style of storytelling into the same narrative baton-passing each movie is basically doing, I'm right there with you in hopping off. Also, I realized the sitcom having weird energy is attributable more to the MCU's tendency of being humorous but having poorly-written jokes.

Black Panther is a mid tier marvel movie. Boseman and Jordan's performances save it from being part of the boring "origin story" tier.
Wakanda is a fascinating setting, Black Panther is the Marvel movie that is most adept at handling sociological questions that bear legitimate weight in our time and place. A crazy, kinetic Afrofuturist vision with love and family and betrayal. A villain who channels pure anger at the nature of colonial rule. It questions Wakanda's role (or lack of it) on the global stage. And it's fun.

Winter Soldier, great as it is, is too scared to really question the military industrial complex and the villains are just splinter cells within the authorities we've come to trust.

Especially after Wandavision gave up on its initial promise of a fresher style of storytelling into the same narrative baton-passing each movie is basically doing, I'm right there with you in hopping off. Also, I realized the sitcom having weird energy is attributable more to the MCU's tendency of being humorous but having poorly-written jokes.
All the Wandavision writers wanted to pay tribute to classic sit-coms and created somewhat interesting situations but brought no comedy. There are redeeming aspects to it. A competent Shield/Sword oriented B-plot, Teyonah Parris is great but... It's great that the show really delved into Wanda's trauma. Episode 8 is a highlight in terms of origin stories in the MCU. But that show didn't know what it wanted to be.

I'd say it's probably top 5 (even tho the MCU films max out at like a 4/5 anyway), it has enough aesthetic vibrancy and neat set pieces to stand out. Plot is pure vanilla though.

Not to sound up my own ass, but I had a feeling from the very beginning that Wandavision would lure people in with the premise of being something new and interseting, and just reveal itself as more MCU by the end. Disney will never take risks of that magnitude.

Disney did the same thing to Star Wars, fwiw. The fact that The Last Jedi exists is a fucking miracle. A personal blockbuster? Subverting expectations? Coming to grips with the past, embracing a future that isn't beholden to the Skywalker line!

And then you've got S2E8 of The Mandalorian... smdh

Back