Movies

Yeah. I don't have access to Hulu atm. Amazon + Netflix + Spotify + NBA League Pass + the new Playstation 5 is already pushing the limits of my budget. I'm leaning towards canceling Netflix and switching over because FX alone is better than Netflix (and they cancel all my favorite shows anyways)... but then I question if I want to give my $$$ to Disney whose merger with Fox cost more than a couple of my friends their jobs (among many other reasons to hate Disney). And yes, I see the irony in complaining about Disney while admitting to having an Amazon sub.

Surmise it to say that I detest the effect streaming services have had on the film industry and miss the days of Blockbuster... it's actually part of why I bailed on the industry (worked as an editor for a decade). If your goal is making indie films, good luck finding distribution on a wide enough scale that people actually see it... But that's just me.

On a more positive note, I definitely recommend Sean Durkin's new film The Nest. His debut Marcy Martha May Marlene was one of my 10 or so favorite films of last decade. 9 years later, after numerous project fell apart, he finally got a 2nd go at it... and it's damn good. Isn't on any streaming services but can be rented in HD for the very reasonable price of 5 bucks from YouTube.

Oh and because I mentioned it as biggest snub:

Definitely use Netflix the least of all subs. It’s hard to support Disney, but it seems likely unfortunately the way to access content that is worth watching. Haven’t heard of Durkin, but always appreciate good recommendations. I watched Boys State and I loved it (I live in Austin and always blown away by different it is from a lot of Texas).

Definitely use Netflix the least of all subs. It’s hard to support Disney, but it seems likely unfortunately the way to access content that is worth watching. Haven’t heard of Durkin, but always appreciate good recommendations. I watched Boys State and I loved it (I live in Austin and always blown away by different it is from a lot of Texas).

Start with Marcy Martha May Marlene (2011).

Came out the same year as Nichols' Take Shelter, has a similar tone and was equally as acclaimed but Durkin's second project was supposed to be a Joplin biopic that fell apart several times so his career stalled while Nichols' took off. Launched the career of Elizabeth Olson though (and she's phenominal in it).

Also, I think you just convinced me to sub to Hulu once my PS5 is paid for.

There's something about Spike Lee's bravura and pulpiness that reminds me of Sam Fuller. This need to take the audience by the neck and show them ignorance and racism in full display but also to find beautiful moments between marginalized characters who are the victims of systemic injustice. I kept thinking about anyone who would make a movie as radical and honest and heartfelt as Da 5 Blood's. No one could've made that movie and no one could've nailed Paul's monologue. Lindo was robbed, plain and simple.

Oh, and, figured since I'm back, I'd drop a hang grenade into this thread.

Batman v. Superman: Ultimate Edition is a fascinating, if fundamentally flawed work. This is a new development in my life. I spent four years hating this goddamned movie but after I really broke the plot down and let my initial hostility fade away because it wasn't another MCU series in terms of tone (it's an Elseworlds story, it totally doesn't give a shit about expectations for the canonical Supes), I found myself really invested in the movie.
But Snyder has these weird aesthetic choices that make him seem like he's glorifying Bruce Wayne's fascism. He's not and has gone on the record as such. But a viewer doesn't get that sense in the film. And the "Martha" scene is ruined because of that. Because in the film as exists, there are no stakes for Bruce's soul if he kills Clark, he's just another body.

And Doomsday being the exhumed Zod is daffy. Doomsday only serves the plot so much as to get to the emotional climax, Clark's death.

I must admit this movie has stuck with me more than most of the MCU. It's awkward, too long yet too short and even the Ultimate Edition has problems. But I think I get what Snyder wanted to do and I... goddamn it, I hate to say it, but I really appreciate it.

Oh, and, figured since I'm back, I'd drop a hang grenade into this thread.

Batman v. Superman: Ultimate Edition is a fascinating, if fundamentally flawed work. This is a new development in my life. I spent four years hating this goddamned movie but after I really broke the plot down and let my initial hostility fade away because it wasn't another MCU series in terms of tone (it's an Elseworlds story, it totally doesn't give a shit about expectations for the canonical Supes), I found myself really invested in the movie.
But Snyder has these weird aesthetic choices that make him seem like he's glorifying Bruce Wayne's fascism. He's not and has gone on the record as such. But a viewer doesn't get that sense in the film. And the "Martha" scene is ruined because of that. Because in the film as exists, there are no stakes for Bruce's soul if he kills Clark, he's just another body.

And Doomsday being the exhumed Zod is daffy. Doomsday only serves the plot so much as to get to the emotional climax, Clark's death.

I must admit this movie has stuck with me more than most of the MCU. It's awkward, too long yet too short and even the Ultimate Edition has problems. But I think I get what Snyder wanted to do and I... goddamn it, I hate to say it, but I really appreciate it.
I am not a Snyder fan by any means but I’m starting to get the itch to watch his DC movies just to see what the fuss is about.

I am not a Snyder fan by any means but I’m starting to get the itch to watch his DC movies just to see what the fuss is about.
They pissed off so many people. Including me. The finale of Man of Steel is essentially 9/11 time 1000. It's shocking. What first felt like a long, drawn out fight at the end of a superhero movie is really about the consequences of earth harboring an alien after first contact and the guilt Clark feels. Except Snyder has problems conveying it in the finale of MOS.

BVS which felt initially like it was an intentional retcon to get Batman and the rest of the DCU involved does make sense. As long as you're willing to deal with the most likely scenario for what would happen if a billionaire playboy dealt with his trauma by beating up criminals to a pulp or abusing folks who themselves may be dealing with trauma: he'd be an asshole.

It's like how a ton of fans misread the end of The Dark Knight and called TDKR unnecessary. Everything Bruce does at the end of TDK is necessary if hollow. He's not really worthy of being Batman til the finale of TDKR when he's willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, not in the name of vanity or his own losses but because he knows it's the only way.

Yeah. I don't have access to Hulu atm. Amazon + Netflix + Spotify + NBA League Pass + the new Playstation 5 is already pushing the limits of my budget. I'm leaning towards canceling Netflix and switching over because FX alone is better than Netflix (and they cancel all my favorite shows anyways)... but then I question if I want to give my $$$ to Disney whose merger with Fox cost more than a couple of my friends their jobs (among many other reasons to hate Disney). And yes, I see the irony in complaining about Disney while admitting to having an Amazon sub.

Surmise it to say that I detest the effect streaming services have had on the film industry and miss the days of Blockbuster... it's actually part of why I bailed on the industry (worked as an editor for a decade). If your goal is making indie films, good luck finding distribution on a wide enough scale that people actually see it... But that's just me.

On a more positive note, I definitely recommend Sean Durkin's new film The Nest. His debut Marcy Martha May Marlene was one of my 10 or so favorite films of last decade. 9 years later, after numerous project fell apart, he finally got a 2nd go at it... and it's damn good. Isn't on any streaming services but can be rented in HD for the very reasonable price of 5 bucks from YouTube.

Oh and because I mentioned it as biggest snub:

I get my hulu included with my spotify for free. It has commercials but it seems like they only show at the beginning of movies and then they play un-interuppted - the tv shows are interrupted with commercial breaks though.

It looks like it was a special deal that you can’t sign up for anymore, but it might be worth keeping an eye out in case it comes back. Weirdly, they initially offered it as a bundle where I had to pay an extra $2.99/month to add hulu to my spotify subscription, and I did that for a while, and then they just made it free a couple years ago.

They're bad but I'm totally getting stoned and watching Justice League this weekend.
This is how it started with me. I ate three edibles and watched MOS and BVS back to back and laughed until it was out of my system. They're weird movies. Very earnest and self-serious almost to a fault. But goddamn it, at least it has a discernible personality besides setting up the next movie in the franchise which is what limits my enjoyment of the MCU.

This is how it started with me. I ate three edibles and watched MOS and BVS back to back and laughed until it was out of my system. They're weird movies. Very earnest and self-serious almost to a fault. But goddamn it, at least it has a discernible personality besides setting up the next movie in the franchise which is what limits my enjoyment of the MCU.
This is how I learned to love bad Adam Sandler movies. I fucking HATED Waterboy and Little Nicky then I came across them stoned and I was laughing so hard that I cried. The best part was once the weed helped my brain connect with these movies I was able enjoy them when I’m not high as well (though they are still infinitely more fun with a little THC coursing through my veins).

I enjoyed Man of Steel, and to this day it's the only DC movie I've enjoyed. But I still haven't seen Shazam.

I really enjoyed Birds of Prey, but I think I was in the minority there. It's the only DCEU movie I can say I've really liked from beginning to end.

Same! We've watched it 3 times already. SO much dang fun.
Yay! I'm not alone lol. One of the last memories I have from the old world is seeing it and Sonic the Hedgehog in the theater with friends. Both movies occupy a similar status of being a lot of fun by knowing what they are and having fun with it.

Also, I completely forgot about it in my original post, but Shazam! wasn't too bad either.

Back