MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Turntable: StudioDeck / Super Heavy Weight
Cartridge: Studiotracker
Amp: Yamaha RX 730
Phono: Cambridge Alva Solo
Speakers: Kenwood JL 870

I too was having issues with skipping, ended up moving the rubber mount in between the first and second hoop and problem fixed. To those with the Heavy Weight, is it normal for the tone arm to be this close at the end of the record? 1 or 2 more mm and the tone arm will hit the weight. Also, the weight seems to be wobbling and not leveled with the records. Aside from that, I'm happy. I upgraded from a Planar 1 with Rega Bias 2 cartridge.

Also, and I'm trying to visualize the wobble/level thing, is the puck sitting flush on the album? Is is sitting on the album surface? It might be possible that the weight is defective in terms of how far the spindle hole goes in, it might not be drilled in far enough causing the weight to sit up on the spindle, if that makes sense.

Also, and I'm trying to visualize the wobble/level thing, is the puck sitting flush on the album? Is is sitting on the album surface? It might be possible that the weight is defective in terms of how far the spindle hole goes in, it might not be drilled in far enough causing the weight to sit up on the spindle, if that makes sense.

I’m guessing my trusty bic biro wouldn’t work for that spindle hole 😂

It might be possible that the weight is defective in terms of how far the spindle hole goes in, it might not be drilled in far enough causing the weight to sit up on the spindle, if that makes sense.
After seeing the video, that's exactly my thoughts. One last thing to check, is your spindle screwed all the way in? Few nights ago I noticed my spindle was a bit loose when I was wrestling off a too tight new record.

After seeing the video, that's exactly my thoughts. One last thing to check, is your spindle screwed all the way in? Few nights ago I noticed my spindle was a bit loose when I was wrestling off a too tight new record.
I never knew the spindle unscrewed. I thought it was press fit. I just checked. Mine was fine.

Find a flat surface and verify with a good level. Place the weight, then check the level of the top of the weight. If it's not level then your weight is defective. If it is level, then it's the record or something on the turntable that's squirrely. Does your spindle wobble when you spin the platter without the weight? Might be easier to see on the 45rpm setting. No luck, then try spinning the platter with the weight and no record and check for wobble.

From what I'm seeing on that video, the weight looks like it's defective.

How rigid are the tone-arm bearing? I was unlucky today when i took the lid off. Hit the rear of the tonearm where the counter-weight is and sent the tonearm flying. :/ Happened once before.. Damn. No damage tho.

Just pulled the trigger on a MoFi Ultradeck with a Grado Opus3 cart from Upscale Audio. Had to do it today, seems overnight prices on the Ultradeck have jumped about $500 per option. Ultradeck with no cart is now showing as $2500 at a lot of places, including the local Hi-Fi shop I just visited today. When he told me the price of the UD with a Mastertracker is $3000 I almost died.... I thought he was trying to gouge me but when I got home I noticed that is in fact the price that MD is showing today.

Fortunately looks like Upscale Audio still has no cart option at $1999.99... I heard the MasterTracker in person today and while it sounded great I wanted to try something entirely different and love what I've heard about Grado here on the forums for years so thanks to @HiFi Guy and @JohnnyCashFan for providing those options, saved me some money and provided a new listening experience I imagine. Excited beyond belief to get this in my house!

Just pulled the trigger on a MoFi Ultradeck with a Grado Opus3 cart from Upscale Audio. Had to do it today, seems overnight prices on the Ultradeck have jumped about $500 per option. Ultradeck with no cart is now showing as $2500 at a lot of places, including the local Hi-Fi shop I just visited today. When he told me the price of the UD with a Mastertracker is $3000 I almost died.... I thought he was trying to gouge me but when I got home I noticed that is in fact the price that MD is showing today.

Fortunately looks like Upscale Audio still has no cart option at $1999.99... I heard the MasterTracker in person today and while it sounded great I wanted to try something entirely different and love what I've heard about Grado here on the forums for years so thanks to @HiFi Guy and @JohnnyCashFan for providing those options, saved me some money and provided a new listening experience I imagine. Excited beyond belief to get this in my house!
Wow, yeah I am not surprised. Material costs have absolutely skyrocketed across the board. I’m glad you were able to get your order in in the nick of time! Virtually all other manufacturers in that price range have had hikes, too.

You’ll love the opus! It’s a really really nice sounding cartridge! Congrats, sounds like you’re in line for a huge upgrade!

Back