MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

AnthonyI

Recreated from cached content - Originally posted March 10, 2018

As an early adapter of the MoFi UltraDeck I thought it might be helpful to others that have picked up either of the MoFi Turntables as well as those contemplating a new turntable to have a spot to share their experiences. I'm hoping that with each amp, phono, cart or speaker upgrade, members will chime in as to how they worked out, sounded and for everyone to get a better feel for what "Plays nice together" when it comes to these turntables.

If you own a MoFi Turntable and would like to add your set up to this post, go ahead and post the following information (See Below Examples) and I'll add it to the fist post so that we can see what type of equipment is connected to the MoFi and most importantly what your likes and dislikes are.

Hoping for some good conversation, insight and any tips we may discover :)

@AnthonyI
Turntable: UltraDeck / Super Heavyweight
Cartridge: Denon DL-103R
Amp: PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP
Phono: Manley Chinook SE MKII
Speakers: Zu Audio Omen DW w/ Druid Mk.IV Drivers
Power Conditioner: Panamax MR4300
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1 Interconnects
Power Cables: Pangea SE MKII Signature Power Cables
Speaker Cable: Zu Audio LIBTEC
@juiceless
Turntable: UltraDeck / Super Heavyweight
Cartridge: MasterTracker
Amp: NAD C375BEE
Phono: Sutherland 20/20
Speakers: ELAC Debut F6
Cables: BJC LC-1
Speaker Cable: Monoprice

@displayname
Turntable: UltraDeck/ Super Heavyweight
Amp: Harman Kardon HK 3770
Speakers: JBL Studio 580
Cables: Blue Jeans Cables
Speaker Cable: Blue Jeans Cables
Headphones: Hifiman HE4XX

@kvetcha
Turntable: UltraDeck / BigBen Record Weight Stabilizer
Cartridge: SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES
Amp: KingKo KA-101 Pro
Speakers: Klipsch Forte II (Crites upgrades)
Power Conditioner: Panamax MR4000
Speaker Cable: BJC 12
Interconnects: Wireworld Terra 7
Headphones: Meze 99 Classics

@GStephenH
Turntable: UltraDeck
Amp: Oppo HA-1
Headphones: MrSpeakers Ether C Flow

@The Denmarkian Wonder
Turntable: MoFi UltraDeck
Cartridge: Nagaoka MP-150
Receiver: Onkyo TX-8020
Phono: MoFi StudioPhono
Speakers: Dali Opticon 2
Sub: Dali Sub E-9F
Cables: Blue Jeans
Speaker Cable: Argon Audio Blue Editio SC-2
Sub Cable: Argon Audio Red Edition SC-1
CD Player: Marantz CD6006

@Slimwhit33
Cartridge: MoFi UltraTracker
Amp: Luxman L550AXii
Phono: Luxman Onboard
Speakers: Klipsch Heresy III's Walnut
Cables: Pangea
Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Rocket 33

@budley007
Cartridge: Grado Gold 2 w/8MZ
Phono: Lounge LCR Gold
Preamp: Marantz AV8801
Amp: Outlaw Audio 7700
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 5(7)-Ch
Sub: (2) SVS SB13-Ultra
Blu Ray: OPPO UDP-205
DAC: Chord Qute EX

@ChrisMag
Turntable: UltraDeck
Cartridge: Hana SL
Preamp: Parasound JC2 BP
Amp: Parasound JC5
Phono: Parasound JC3 Jr.
Speakers: Focal Sopra 2
Power Conditioner: PS Audio P10
Audio Cables: RCA- Blue Jeans LC-1 (for the UltraDeck), Kimber Select, Wireworld Eclipse
Power Cables: Shunyata (various)
Speaker Cable: Iconoclast (by Belden) SPTPC

@tomheo
Turntable: Mofi Ultradeck
Cartridge: Grado Gold v2 (soon to be Hana SL)
Integrated Amp: Parasound HINT 6
Phono Stage: Parasound JC3 Jr.
Speakers: KEF Q350
Sub: HSU Research ULS-15 MK2
Power Conditioner: Audioquest Niagara 1200
Audio Cables: Audioquest Golden Gate RCAs, Zu Mission XLR, Zu Libtec
Power Cables: Audioquest NRG-Z3, Audioquest NRG-Y3, Audioquest Monsoon
Accessories: Mofi Heavyweight, Okki Nokki RCM, Zerostat 3

@mp29k
Turntable: UltraDeck (with Russ Andrews Yello Power cable)
Cartridge: MoFi Mastertracker
Preamp: Schiit Freya S
Amp: Schiit Aegir
Phono: Lounge Audio LCR mk3
Speakers: Tekton Design Lore/ HSU STF-2 (Pair)
Power Conditioner: Cullen Cable Perfect Plug
Audio Cables: Van Damme Silver LoCap with lockkkg WBT and Lounge Audio RCAs
Power Cables: BLE Design and Russ Andrews
Speaker Cable: JW Audio Cryo Nova

@bobdg
Turntable: Ultradeck
Phono: Audio Alchemy PPA-1 w/PS-5 power supply
Preamp: Audio Alchemy DDP-1 (shares the same PS)
Amp: BAT VK-75SE
Speakers: Legacy Focus SE
Cables: Morrow & Cardas

@BattleFlag
Turntable: Mofi StudioDeck
Cartridge: Mofi Ultratracker
Amp: Onkyo TX-8220
Phono: Moon 110LP V2
Speakers: KEF Q100 Bookshelf
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1

@cul8er
Turntable: MoFi StudioDeck
Cartridge: MoFi Ultratracker
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-815
Phono: Vincent Pho-8
Speakers: Bose 301
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans

@gaucho98
Turntable: MoFi StudioDeck
Cartridge: MoFi MasterTracker
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A680
Phono: Marantz 2245
Speakers: Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Mk. II
Phono Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1
Speaker Cables: Zu LIBTEC
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 650
CD/SACD: Sony UBP-X700
Power: Audioquest Powerquest 3

@strappo
Turntable: Mofi StudioDeck
Cartridge: Hana SH
Clamp: Clearaudio Quadro
Audio Cables: Blue Jeans LC-1
Phono: Moon 310LP
Amp: VTV Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A Amplifier
Speakers: DIY Murphy Corner Line Array

@Ginormousthumbs
Cartridge: MoFi MasterTracker
Amp: Rogue Audio Sphinx V3
Speakers: Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Mk.II
Speaker Cable: Zu Audio Mission
Cassette Deck: Pioneer CT-F9191
CD Player: Sony RM-R51

@Lacubrious
Cartridge: MoFi UltraTracker
Weight: MoFi Super Heavyweight
Amp: Onkyo 708
Preamp: MoFi Ultraphono
Speakers: Tannoy 609

Here's a quick guide to what the UltraDeck has over the StudioDeck:
  • The tonearms look identical but there are some differences:
    • The Ultra has better bearings for less friction in both the horizontal and the vertical planes. Less friction equals better tracking.
    • Cardas wiring is used internally in the Ultra arm.
    • The Ultra arm has a special internal damping material to make it even less resonant.
  • The platter is much beefier on the Ultra. This is important in the design since the material chosen (a unique formulation of Delrin) has the same mechanical impedance as the vinyl that LP’s are made from. You'll see mentioned in most any review of either table how quiet they are. Surface noise is much less apparent than on competing designs. The reason is that the platter literally drains away surface noise. The larger platter on the Ultra does so even more effectively. More mass also equals a more stable rotation.
  • The Ultra also makes more comprehensive use of what we call Constrained Layer Damping. This is the combination of the aluminum top plates mated to the wood (MDF) base. It makes the Ultra a more stable and inert chassis for the entire unit to rest on.
  • The cartridge is a significant upgrade (a $300 retail difference). While the Studio cartridge is extremely good for it’s price range, upgrading to the Ultra represents a clearly audible benefit.
  • The Ultra has gold-plated output connections.
  • The head shell is aluminum.

My wife got me a MoFi Ultradeck w/Master Tracker for Christmas. What a peach! ...anyways, just popped in here to hand you my gear list and offer a caveat with regard to cartridge/stylus setup, especially as it applies to the MoFi tables.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING - UNPLUG THE TURNTABLE!!!

Yes, yes, I know it is Rule #1 and obvious something we know to do since like birth, but while setting things up and testing and fudging and tweaking and testing...on my final tightening I failed to unplug my turntable one last time. My power button, I swear that sucker has got to be in the worst possible spot... and I'll be dad-gummed if I didn't lean on it. My VTF gauge instantly spun into my stylus and bent the cantilever about 1/8" out of alignment. Wow, what a sick feeling. It's not decapitated, but after carefully attempted to straighten it back out, it might as well be. It's ruined.

After the funeral, I decided to research my options and eventually landed in the forums at Vinyl Me Please and discovered several august kindred who've already eschewed their MoFi cartridges in favor of an affordable alternative. I'm happy to report that I'm now back up and running with a Grado Gold 2, ($20 bucks with points on Amazon), and an 8mz stylus from the Needle Doctor. It's already settling in to a very satisfying presentation. I'll eventually contact MoFi for an expensive trade-in on the Master Tracker, but I'm not in any hurry now. I'll be riding this setup to the end. Thanks for all your valuable help. Here's the list:

My wife got me a MoFi Ultradeck w/Master Tracker for Christmas. What a peach! ...anyways, just popped in here to hand you my gear list and offer a caveat with regard to cartridge/stylus setup, especially as it applies to the MoFi tables.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING - UNPLUG THE TURNTABLE!!!

Yes, yes, I know it is Rule #1 and obvious something we know to do since like birth, but while setting things up and testing and fudging and tweaking and testing...on my final tightening I failed to unplug my turntable one last time. My power button, I swear that sucker has got to be in the worst possible spot... and I'll be dad-gummed if I didn't lean on it. My VTF gauge instantly spun into my stylus and bent the cantilever about 1/8" out of alignment. Wow, what a sick feeling. It's not decapitated, but after carefully attempted to straighten it back out, it might as well be. It's ruined.

After the funeral, I decided to research my options and eventually landed in the forums at Vinyl Me Please and discovered several august kindred who've already eschewed their MoFi cartridges in favor of an affordable alternative. I'm happy to report that I'm now back up and running with a Grado Gold 2, ($20 bucks with points on Amazon), and an 8mz stylus from the Needle Doctor. It's already settling in to a very satisfying presentation. I'll eventually contact MoFi for an expensive trade-in on the Master Tracker, but I'm not in any hurry now. I'll be riding this setup to the end. Thanks for all your valuable help. Here's the list:

I've always not only made sure to unplug the TT, but I also move it to a different table to work on it. Glad you found the joy of the Grado/8MZ combo on your UD :)

Hey all! Haven’t been able to be on the new site as much as the old since work is blocking the new site, but still lurking on my phone when I can.

Anyone else have an issue with the cue lever on their UD falling down on its own? Is there a way to tighten it?

Hey all! Haven’t been able to be on the new site as much as the old since work is blocking the new site, but still lurking on my phone when I can.

Anyone else have an issue with the cue lever on their UD falling down on its own? Is there a way to tighten it?

That's a weird one. Mine is still...uh, tight.

It's dropping from it's upright position on its own??

I put it in the up position and 9 times out of 10 it falls back to the down position within a minute. If I leave the arm resting on the cue lever, it’s 10/10 under 30 seconds.

Well, today I ran into a little snag that had me perplexed. When I pressed the power button on my UltraDeck today it ran for about 7-8 seconds then shut off. Tried it again about 5 times and it continued to shut off, always after the same period of time. I unplugged the turntable and tried again, still with no success. I unplugged it for varying periods of time, but always ended with the same 7-8 shut off. After shaking my fist at the world, I eventually resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to contact MoFi and at best, have the problem solved with some simple fix over the phone or at worst, have the turntable packed up and shipped off for more serious repairs.

Being Sunday, I wasn't going to get anywhere till tomorrow. So that was that. ...Well, I'm the proverbial fool at times, so against all hope, I stopped by the turtable and tried again a few hours later. Yep, same results. As I was about to walk away dejected, I figure I'd try something that my over-inflated electronics savvy ego assured me would be worth my time. I unplugged the turntable, but before plugging it back in, I pressed and held the power button down. The turntable did not power back up, but when I release the button and pressed it again. Bingo! I'm back in business folks. No more shut off. Who'd thunk?

I'll be calling MoFi to make sure my issue is documented for warranty purposes, and I'm sure the guy will tell me that what I did was what he would have told me to do. Heck, you guys might have known this already and I ran into it blind, but all the same, if this happens to you, then give it a try. In all honesty, I hope it was some weird cosmic fluke, because I'm really enjoying this turntable and would hate to think that I'd have to do this periodically ad infinitum. I'll keep you folks posted.

Back