MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Does anyone’s cue level make a little click sound when you lift it after a record is over? Never does it when lowering the level only on the up and usually only after two, three sides have been played. Maybe needs fluid? Not sure..
Yes, mine does this. I generally ground myself before I touch the table, but I guess it could be static between the stylus and the record itself. I will try to pay better attention in the future.

Hi, everyone. First post. Picked up my new Ultratracker+ M, and like everyone else, I'm very impressed with this turntable. This is my first non-automatic, non-semi-automatic turntable in a very long time, and I have a question that may come down to personal preference. When the tone arm is in the resting position, the platter keeps spinning unless you press the on/off button. When you put on an album or flip it, do you turn off the turntable and then change the album, or do you leave it spinning? Thanks.

Turntable: Mofi Ultradeck / Super Heavyweight
Cartridge: Mastertracker
Amp: Luxman L-507uXII
Phono: Luxman Onboard (MM/MC)
Speakers: Focal Aria 936
Cables: Stock Cardas
Speaker Cable: Cardas Clear Sky
I contacted Mofi, and this was their response. Sounds like no real right or wrong way, as long as you can avoid any potential damage to albums. I'll mainly keep turning the TT off as an extra precaution. Doesn't take any more time.

"Pressing the power button will cause no harm to the turntable. Recommend stopping the platter when you are changing a record. This is not to protect the turntable. It is to protect the record from accidently dropping or otherwise damaging the records." Mofi

I have a new Ultradeck w Mastertracker, and I'm about to replace the included phono cable from the turntable to my Luxman integrated. What cables have you found that make a good sonic improvement. I'm running Cardas Clear Sky speaker cables and Cygnus interconnects.

Let's not get into the debate about cables being snake oil. Here is what Mofi wrote me: "The Cardas is w/in the tone arm. The included RCA is just a generic brand. We recommend upgrading these RCA cables with something higher resolution, which matches the system more appropriately."

So, taking Mofi's suggestion to heart, what phono cables have you enjoyed?

I have a new Ultradeck w Mastertracker, and I'm about to replace the included phono cable from the turntable to my Luxman integrated. What cables have you found that make a good sonic improvement. I'm running Cardas Clear Sky speaker cables and Cygnus interconnects.

Let's not get into the debate about cables being snake oil. Here is what Mofi wrote me: "The Cardas is w/in the tone arm. The included RCA is just a generic brand. We recommend upgrading these RCA cables with something higher resolution, which matches the system more appropriately."

I like Blue Jeans. They are extremely well shielded to reject interference. The LC-1is also low capacitance, desirable in this application.

Had Pangea, went to Blue Jean, couldn't be happier :)

Signal Cable Analog Two interconnects, also low capacitance. I did need to add a ground wire, if you ask nicely they might include one with your order no charge. It does appear however that they raised their prices recently, so Blue Jeans are the better deal.

Last edited:

All my innerconnects are Zu Mission cables and I’m quite happy with them. Enjoy them more than the BJC. I also enjoy Wire World cables for the money, particularly in the Eclipse range. But I don’t think they justify the price vs what I paid for the Zus.

I also really like the concept of keeping the chain aligned. I haven’t done it personally, but continuing the Cardas line from the TT makes sense.

Running Cardas Iridium phono cable to my Ultradeck.

I like Blue Jeans. They are extremely well shielded to reject interference. The LC-1is also low capacitance, desirable in this application.
This is what I got. I didn't climb a mountain in Tibet barefooted wearing a wool shirt to find cable audio nirvana or anything, but I have a dead quiet background and that's what I was hoping for.

First review of MoFi UltraGold MC @ HIFI News...

Attachments

• 271860075_10223879396045765_7064942737052264841_n.jpg
    271860075_10223879396045765_7064942737052264841_n.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 271927110_10223879396325772_2268329387723037724_n.jpg
    271927110_10223879396325772_2268329387723037724_n.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 271907334_10223879396845785_6423432468070467406_n.jpg
    271907334_10223879396845785_6423432468070467406_n.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi,

I recently purchased and received the MoFi Ultradeck with the installed Ultratracker MM cartridge.

Around 10 minutes into every side, every record i am playing skips. The turntable is level on a wall Mount, the anti skate is set to manual standards for the pre-installed cartridge, and the stylus pressure is correct (I’ve check multiple times with a stylus gauge).

I have tried everything to rectify the issue, but am
unable to figure out why it continues to skip. Before I use the lever to drop the tonearm/stylus to the record, the tonearm seems to slightly move outward (away from the spindle) around the area of the record where it skips.

What could be the issue and how can it be solved? Is it a manufacturing issue with the tonearm? Is there something wrong with the antiskate? I am very frustrated, especially considering it’s a brand new turntable straight from the manufacturer, and my hi fi dealer is a 3 hour drive.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Steven

Hi,

I recently purchased and received the MoFi Ultradeck with the installed Ultratracker MM cartridge.

Around 10 minutes into every side, every record i am playing skips. The turntable is level on a wall Mount, the anti skate is set to manual standards for the pre-installed cartridge, and the stylus pressure is correct (I’ve check multiple times with a stylus gauge).

I have tried everything to rectify the issue, but am
unable to figure out why it continues to skip. Before I use the lever to drop the tonearm/stylus to the record, the tonearm seems to slightly move outward (away from the spindle) around the area of the record where it skips.

What could be the issue and how can it be solved? Is it a manufacturing issue with the tonearm? Is there something wrong with the antiskate? I am very frustrated, especially considering it’s a brand new turntable straight from the manufacturer, and my hi fi dealer is a 3 hour drive.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Steven
First off, Welcome :)

When it skips, can you move the tonearm/stylus forward and continue to play though?

Back