MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Nothing like taking the platter off to grease the bearing and then have the platter not slide into place after 10+ attempts. It stops the same place like there's a spring between the bearing and the platter.

Me right now after all the bullshit this week:

source.gif

This is normal. Let it sit overnight. It’ll settle on its own.

This is normal. Let it sit overnight. It’ll settle on its own.

Is it like an air bobble or something? It slid into place the first time but it made a sound occasionally while spinning so i took it off to check and add a little more grease and after that it wouldn't slide all the way down.

Also, 24 hours later and it hasn't moved a millimeter.

Yup. Breathe!! Lol

Is it like an air bobble or something? It slid into place the first time but it made a sound occasionally while spinning so i took it off to check and add a little more grease and after that it wouldn't slide all the way down.

Also, 24 hours later and it hasn't moved a millimeter.

How much grease did you use?

Different table but when I put lubricant into my bearing housing somethings I find that it takes the platter a while to go down. Slowly rotating it encourages it along its way.

I've rotated the platter as well but it doesn't move down. I think i'll take the platter off, wipe the bearing and bearing house clean(ish) and apply little less and only on the bearing.

I've rotated the platter as well but it doesn't move down. I think i'll take the platter off, wipe the bearing and bearing house clean(ish) and apply little less and only on the bearing.
That's what I was going to suggest.

I'd say you probably ran into the same problem I did with my first failed attempt - Too much grease. I had to completely clean the entire spindle and platter hub before I succeeded. Seriously, I had to just about polish everything. Once that was done, I put just a blip of grease to cover the ball bearing of the spindle. When the platter was reseated it settled perfectly with a few spins and I was [virtually] friction free. With normal use, the grease will eventually warm up and disperse partially down the shaft in a micro-thin coat.

That's what I was going to suggest.

I'd say you probably ran into the same problem I did with my first failed attempt - Too much grease. I had to completely clean the entire spindle and platter hub before I succeeded. Seriously, I had to just about polish everything. Once that was done, I put just a blip of grease to cover the ball bearing of the spindle. When the platter was reseated it settled perfectly with a few spins and I was [virtually] friction free. With normal use, the grease will eventually warm up and disperse partially down the shaft in a micro-thin coat.

Looks like that was the issue. I wiped the bearing clean and also the bearing house as much as i could and then applied some grease to the bearing only. Spun the platter gently and it slid into place. So that's one issue solved :)

I think I figured out what it was. I was getting really bad slippage on an album, it was super warbly but I flipped it and it played fine. I think I probably just need to get a record weight since there's no mat. It looks like they make one specifically for the Mofi decks too
I ended up getting the Mofi record weight and it completely fixed the issue. I have a couple records with mild dishwarps and they play just fine now.

i think the studio deck will probably work for me better than the ultradeck, though hopefully it doesn't run too fast on the studiodeck (and i'll change the cartrige with a good MM/MC)

While I'm loving how good my Ultradeck sounds, I'm getting frequent skipping/repeating across multiple albums. It's not skipping ahead, just repeating on a loop. This honestly never happened to me once before this turntable. I clean my records with a RCM. I used a Geodisc to align my cartridge, which is a Grado Gold3 set a 1.65g. Is this skipping/repeating normal, or is it a sign of improper setup somewhere?

While I'm loving how good my Ultradeck sounds, I'm getting frequent skipping/repeating across multiple albums. It's not skipping ahead, just repeating on a loop. This honestly never happened to me once before this turntable. I clean my records with a RCM. I used a Geodisc to align my cartridge, which is a Grado Gold3 set a 1.65g. Is this skipping/repeating normal, or is it a sign of improper setup somewhere?

This is improper setup. Is the UD level? Did it do this with the MoFi cartridge? When you changed cartridges, did you change the position of the anti skate weight?

Just to add to @HiFi Guy's statement, I've never had an issue on mine, you may also want to check the VTA while your at it. If I remember correctly, going from the MoFi cart to the Grado it did need to be adjusted a bit.

This is improper setup. Is the UD level? Did it do this with the MoFi cartridge? When you changed cartridges, did you change the position of the anti skate weight?
I'll double check the level. I wouldn't be surprised that was the issue, since the stand is warped (new stand coming later this year).

I did change the position of the anti skate to the outer most notch, based on the directions in the manual for a cartridge of its light weight. Outer notches = light cartridges, inner = heavier, right?

In regards to the VTA, I adjusted that to the point wher I felt things sounded much better than the factory setting for the Ultratracker's VTA height. The goal is the arm should be parallel to the plinth? Maybe that is still off?

I'll double check the level. I wouldn't be surprised that was the issue, since the stand is warped (new stand coming later this year).

I did change the position of the anti skate to the outer most notch, based on the directions in the manual for a cartridge of its light weight. Outer notches = light cartridges, inner = heavier, right?

In regards to the VTA, I adjusted that to the point wher I felt things sounded much better than the factory setting for the Ultratracker's VTA height. The goal is the arm should be parallel to the plinth? Maybe that is still off?

There’s your issue. Lighter cartridges are set closer to the pivot point. You’ve got your anti skate set backwards. From the manual:

Attach the anti-skate weight
with loop to the anti-skate pin, and dress the remaining line and weight to the arm’s anti-skate hanger. Set the loop to the suggested notch on the pin based on your cartridge’s weight. Each notch reads from front to back:

Notch 1: 4g – 6g cartridges
Notch 2: 6g – 8g cartridges
Notch 3: 8g – 10g cartridges
Notch 4: 10g – 12g cartridges

You need to be in Notch 1, not Notch 4.

The goal is the arm should be parallel to the plinth? Maybe that is still off?
I've hung on to a $1 bin medium weight album and adjust the arm parallel to the album on the platter. If your running more 180g records you might want to go that route. If you don't have a old album to use, I've cut and folded over an inner sleeve to put on the album to avoid scratches. I also use the "level" from Hudson Hi-Fi for both Azimuth and VTA -

Last edited:
There’s your issue. Lighter cartridges are set closer to the pivot point. You’ve got your anti skate set backwards. From the manual:

Attach the anti-skate weight
with loop to the anti-skate pin, and dress the remaining line and weight to the arm’s anti-skate hanger. Set the loop to the suggested notch on the pin based on your cartridge’s weight. Each notch reads from front to back:

Notch 1: 4g – 6g cartridges
Notch 2: 6g – 8g cartridges
Notch 3: 8g – 10g cartridges
Notch 4: 10g – 12g cartridges

You need to be in Notch 1, not Notch 4.
Cool, that's very easy to fix! I confused what is meant as the front notch vs. back, I guess. Thanks!!

Back