MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

That's correct! And the Ultradeck has been with me since. Happy to answer any questions to the best of my memory.
Thanks for the welcome.

Whilst I love my old mk2's, I'm looking for something with a more open sound, wider soundstage etc. Would like to know how the gr compared to the ultradeck, even though the studiodeck is the one in my budget.

That's correct! And the Ultradeck has been with me since. Happy to answer any questions to the best of my memory.
How did the Technics and the MoFi compare feel wise? Was the GR more forward, quicker, more aggressive than the UD, if that makes sense? Are they on par there? I’d assume the soundstage is broader on the UD.

My UltraDeck+MasterTracker arrived several days ago, and has been in almost constant play since.

Oh. My. God.

The amount of additional detail retrieval between this and my previous setup (Schiit Sol and Nagaoka MP-500) is astounding. Also, better rhythm, wider and higher soundstage, clearer and more present highs, and on and on. I’ve heard things in well loved, well listened to albums that I have NEVER heard before. So thankful I went this route. There may be better out there for more $$$$, but I’m content here for the foreseeable future.

For those looking at adding one of the MoFi Delrin record weights, this might be helpful.

MoFi sent me the Super Heavyweight by mistake, should have been the Super Heavyweight Champion. They corrected it immediately, and so for a second I have the 2 to compare before I send the standard one back.

Let’s just say you get what you pay for! The non-Champion was nice, but felt too light to me. Before I even had the Champion bamboo box opened I knew it was gonna be a significantly heftier weight! On paper of course it’s obvious that one is heavier than the other, but the actual feel of the Champion vs the non-Champion is incredible. Plus the fit and finish appear to be much better, from the white logo, to the material, to the finish/sheen, to even the shipping box. It classes up the joint.

As far as audible improvements go, I haven’t had much chance to listen to anything at length yet, but the quick read is it’s at least as good as the former, and easily worth the extra $100 to me for appearance alone. It really looks great on the UltraDeck, the pics don’t do it justice.

Attachments

• 88EE7E8E-4330-4E45-968D-6281D06DBFC4.jpeg
    88EE7E8E-4330-4E45-968D-6281D06DBFC4.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 28
  • E3FB1EC4-19F4-43C8-A433-79BC078DE076.jpeg
    E3FB1EC4-19F4-43C8-A433-79BC078DE076.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 29
  • A9C2201C-9F3A-47C8-A3CD-9E932805EB13.jpeg
    A9C2201C-9F3A-47C8-A3CD-9E932805EB13.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 30
  • C9C724F3-3989-47BF-BDD7-A5B919C1EF0C.jpeg
    C9C724F3-3989-47BF-BDD7-A5B919C1EF0C.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 44211A5C-D9D5-4289-96DF-B37D7A262AE2.jpeg
    44211A5C-D9D5-4289-96DF-B37D7A262AE2.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 31
Guys, I got a mo-if ultradeck with mastertracker cartridge and I have a problem that I cannot figure out. When I turn the power switch off, I get a loud pop through my speakers. If turn the volume down or switch to another channel, then obviously I do not hear it.

I got the player replaced with another new unit and the same thing. I have tried everything - that I can physically do, replace power cord, hook up power cord to a different outlet, using different phono preamp, etc.

Does anyone else experience this? My other Project Classic SB TT does not have this at all in the same system.

I have searched the whole internet and found one post on Stevehoffman forum about experiencing the same and that person did all sorts of experimentation to no avail.

A $2500 player should NOT have issues like this. Period.

Last edited:
Guys, I got a mo-if ultradeck with mastertracker cartridge and I have a problem that I cannot figure out. When I turn the power switch off, I get a loud pop through my speakers. If turn the volume down or switch to another channel, then obviously I do not hear it.

I got the player replaced with another new unit and the same thing. I have tried everything - that I can physically do, replace power cord, hook up power cord to a different outlet, using different phono preamp, etc.

Does anyone else experience this? My other Project Classic SB TT does not have this at all in the same system.

I have searched the whole internet and found one post on Stevehoffman forum about experiencing the same and that person did all sorts of experimentation to no avail.

A $2500 player should NOT have issues like this. Period.
This is not uncommon. If you put your speakers and amp on dedicated power line, you'll notice this goes away. I even have this happen with my RCM occasionally. It's on the other side of the room, but still on the same power line. The solution is dedicated power line, use outlets on different power lines, or simply turn down the volume before powering on/off.

It has something to do with a combo of your power lines, which gear is turned on, and various power/motor requirements. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can assist, but I can tell you this isn't really that uncommon.

This is not uncommon. If you put your speakers and amp on dedicated power line, you'll notice this goes away. I even have this happen with my RCM occasionally. It's on the other side of the room, but still on the same power line. The solution is dedicated power line, use outlets on different power lines, or simply turn down the volume before powering on/off.

It has something to do with a combo of your power lines, which gear is turned on, and various power/motor requirements. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can assist, but I can tell you this isn't really that uncommon.
I’m thinking the only time you’d hear it is of the volume knob is turned up high. If I’m listening loudly, I turn the knob down before cueing the arm to avoid the “thump” when lowering or raising the arm, so my volume would also be down at the end of a listening session when turning my Ultradeck off.

I’ve got a dedicated line now, but have never heard what @dandaroy describes even at my previous house.

Thanks for the welcome.

Whilst I love my old mk2's, I'm looking for something with a more open sound, wider soundstage etc. Would like to know how the gr compared to the ultradeck, even though the studiodeck is the one in my budget.
Not to gatecrash the MoFi party but I've got the GR with a 740ml and it's absolutely the nuts. Not compared to the MoFi as in the uk the mark up took the ultra out of consideration range for me but in comparison to my old, modded up to the max Rega RP3 its like moving from a Citroen Saxo to a Ferrari.

And I've not changed anything on the technics either. Stock mat, feet and headshell at the minute and its great. I'm hearing detail in records that i've listened to for years and years and had never picked up.

I think you'd be happy with either from what I've read but removable headshells may be my new favorite thing. I honestly think this is my turntable endpoint now

My UltraDeck+MasterTracker arrived several days ago, and has been in almost constant play since.

Oh. My. God.

The amount of additional detail retrieval between this and my previous setup (Schiit Sol and Nagaoka MP-500) is astounding. Also, better rhythm, wider and higher soundstage, clearer and more present highs, and on and on. I’ve heard things in well loved, well listened to albums that I have NEVER heard before. So thankful I went this route. There may be better out there for more $$$$, but I’m content here for the foreseeable future.
Oh my goodness! I want to come over to your house and I want to get an Ultradeck with the Mastertracker SO BADLY now!!! 😍

I really hope I can get both that turntable and cartridge by the time I’m 30 years old! 🤞💪📌

Not to gatecrash the MoFi party but I've got the GR with a 740ml and it's absolutely the nuts. Not compared to the MoFi as in the uk the mark up took the ultra out of consideration range for me but in comparison to my old, modded up to the max Rega RP3 its like moving from a Citroen Saxo to a Ferrari.

And I've not changed anything on the technics either. Stock mat, feet and headshell at the minute and its great. I'm hearing detail in records that i've listened to for years and years and had never picked up.

I think you'd be happy with either from what I've read but removable headshells may be my new favorite thing. I honestly think this is my turntable endpoint now
If I hadn’t purchased the MoFi, there’d be an SL-1210GR in my system right now.

Good morning all.. having an issue with the UD that I'm hoping someone may be able to assist with.

Put on al album last night and the needle was sticking.. just playing the same groove over and over.. took a look at it and the needle was moving towards the center then popping back.

I re-did everything. Used the Geo Disc to make sure everything was aligned properly. Anti skate is on 3rd notch. VTA and azimuth are spot on. VTF set at 2. (Tried 1.8, 1.9, 2.1 and 2.2)

No change.

It actually feels like the arm isn't moving freely.. like there is a bit of resistance. I checked to see if the wires were binded in any way and they seem fine.

When I was switching the carts a few weeks ago I did need to adjust the VTA several times and I have noticed a little "grease" each time near the base of the tonearm. See pic.

Any suggestions? Is there a bearing adjustment that can be made? Or lubrication needed somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help! E302704C-9D8C-4EF2-8886-841FBBF1C3E2.jpegA706A0F1-9CB8-4F3C-9822-F284099567CC.jpeg03AA05CC-21E0-452A-82C6-E12EB2ACFB70.jpegDAC3AABA-A2A4-4DCD-A3E2-0F16FC950C05.jpegAAB726BF-6790-4F61-80CB-EA73A47A32CD.jpeg

Good morning all.. having an issue with the UD that I'm hoping someone may be able to assist with.

Put on al album last night and the needle was sticking.. just playing the same groove over and over.. took a look at it and the needle was moving towards the center then popping back.

I re-did everything. Used the Geo Disc to make sure everything was aligned properly. Anti skate is on 3rd notch. VTA and azimuth are spot on. VTF set at 2. (Tried 1.8, 1.9, 2.1 and 2.2)

No change.

It actually feels like the arm isn't moving freely.. like there is a bit of resistance. I checked to see if the wires were binded in any way and they seem fine.

When I was switching the carts a few weeks ago I did need to adjust the VTA several times and I have noticed a little "grease" each time near the base of the tonearm. See pic.

Any suggestions? Is there a bearing adjustment that can be made? Or lubrication needed somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help! View attachment 74806View attachment 74807View attachment 74808View attachment 74809View attachment 74810
Is the cueing lift under the arm coming into contact with the arm?

Is this the same type of issue you had with the Grado?

Is the cueing lift under the arm coming into contact with the arm?

Is this the same type of issue you had with the Grado?
Cueing arm is clear. No, the issue with the Grado is that it shook like crazy. I used everything for a solid week after switching back to the UltraTracker without issue, including spinning all last weekend. I hadn't used it again until last night.

@Slimwhit33 here's something to check - when I was auditioning a StudioDeck for a couple months, I'd pulled the trigger on an open box, and when it arrived, the tonearm was somehow set so that it wouldn't travel all the way to the end of the record - meaning, whenever it was re-set up for VTA, they had swung the tonearm to the right, away from the platter, if that makes sense. It totally caught be by surprise, and only found out because it appeared there was a locked groove, then noticed the tonearm had reached the end of its travel. Yeah... I cringed. Could that be what you've got going on here?

@Slimwhit33 here's something to check - when I was auditioning a StudioDeck for a couple months, I'd pulled the trigger on an open box, and when it arrived, the tonearm was somehow set so that it wouldn't travel all the way to the end of the record - meaning, whenever it was re-set up for VTA, they had swung the tonearm to the right, away from the platter, if that makes sense. It totally caught be by surprise, and only found out because it appeared there was a locked groove, then noticed the tonearm had reached the end of its travel. Yeah... I cringed. Could that be what you've got going on here?
Its happening at any point on the record.. whether I set it down at the start (it won't come out of the start up grooves) or at any other point, so I don't think that is it. I actually think I saw your posts about that when I was researching the issue last night!

No change.

Thanks in advance for any help! View attachment 74806View attachment 74807View attachment 74808View attachment 74809View attachment 74810
I had this exact issue with a UTurn. The diagnosis was a bad bearing. Contract your dealer or Mofi and they should be able to help.

Its happening at any point on the record.. whether I set it down at the start (it won't come out of the start up grooves) or at any other point, so I don't think that is it. I actually think I saw your posts about that when I was researching the issue last night!
But actually.. you have me thinking you might be right...I just checked and I hadn't been noticing that when the VTA is adjusted the assembly not only goes up and down but also can rotate. So maybe it rotated outward or something? Any idea how to know where its supposed to be from a rotation standpoint?

But actually.. you have me thinking you might be right...I just checked and I hadn't been noticing that when the VTA is adjusted the assembly not only goes up and down but also can rotate. So maybe it rotated outward or something? Any idea how to know where its supposed to be from a rotation standpoint?

That's a good question. They don't provide any sort of info on that, do they? I suspect as long as it travels to the end of the record, you're good, right? Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I can provide further insight!

Back