MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

So you were about 500 before me.. anyone after me (20912) have it?
Dang, @Slimwhit33 unless I've missed your updates, it looks like you've slipped in some gear upgrades under our noses....

You see the review zerofidelity gave your amp? I've always been enamored with your setup, particularly the Luxman. This review doesn't help

Dang, @Slimwhit33 unless I've missed your updates, it looks like you've slipped in some gear upgrades under our noses....

You see the review zerofidelity gave your amp? I've always been enamored with your setup, particularly the Luxman. This review doesn't help

Thanks for sharing that! I absolutely love the 550. It's amazing.

I added a few items recently after realizing that NBA cards went insane over the last 6 months or so (Google it.. they've gone insane.. so strange) But I decided to take the opportunity to finish my upgrades knowing that I am working from home until at least March, and more likely July or September..so will get plenty of enjoyment. Sold some cards and used the funds on equipment. Also sold my Auralic Vega. *I have to admit that I considered selling more cards and the 550 for the MQ88uC/CL88uC combo... the 550 is really just enough for me.

Replacing the Vega with a Luxman D-03x. I love the Luxman sound and just wanted the symmetry. I'll use the balanced connections between the two. I feel like switching most of my purchasing dollars towards CD's at this point since the cost is so much more reasonable than vinyl. And for Redbook playback, the D-03x bettered my old Onkyo CD player going through the Vega DAC.

As for vinyl, my local has also been talking to me a lot about the Grado carts so I have a Master3 on the way. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the UltraTracker, which I think sounds great.

And the subs are an experiment. Tiny room, dual subs.. what could go wrong?? I have them and they are set up.. we'll see where it goes.

I haven't received the cart or the Luxman yet.. Supposedly this week.. maybe next. Things have been delayed by Covid obviously.

Once I get everything I'll start sharing some thoughts on them!!

Thanks for sharing that! I absolutely love the 550. It's amazing.

I added a few items recently after realizing that NBA cards went insane over the last 6 months or so (Google it.. they've gone insane.. so strange) But I decided to take the opportunity to finish my upgrades knowing that I am working from home until at least March, and more likely July or September..so will get plenty of enjoyment. Sold some cards and used the funds on equipment. Also sold my Auralic Vega. *I have to admit that I considered selling more cards and the 550 for the MQ88uC/CL88uC combo... the 550 is really just enough for me.

Replacing the Vega with a Luxman D-03x. I love the Luxman sound and just wanted the symmetry. I'll use the balanced connections between the two. I feel like switching most of my purchasing dollars towards CD's at this point since the cost is so much more reasonable than vinyl. And for Redbook playback, the D-03x bettered my old Onkyo CD player going through the Vega DAC.

As for vinyl, my local has also been talking to me a lot about the Grado carts so I have a Master3 on the way. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the UltraTracker, which I think sounds great.

And the subs are an experiment. Tiny room, dual subs.. what could go wrong?? I have them and they are set up.. we'll see where it goes.

I haven't received the cart or the Luxman yet.. Supposedly this week.. maybe next. Things have been delayed by Covid obviously.

Once I get everything I'll start sharing some thoughts on them!!

I mean, I rock a considerably larger room with a single SVS, so I'm guessing you'll be just fine.

F3s with dual subs in a 10x10 room is a very special definition of extra. You're gonna blow out the windows.

I have a Master3 on the way. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the UltraTracker, which I think sounds great.
I'll be looking forward to this! I like to ponder about going a different direction with the cart when the time comes.

On the subs, live it up. You can always turn them down to keep them from blowing out the room. If you can make them dissappear, they can only help. It's that integration and disappearing trick that's more difficult.

I'll be looking forward to this! I like to ponder about going a different direction with the cart when the time comes.

On the subs, live it up. You can always turn them down to keep them from blowing out the room. If you can make them dissappear, they can only help. It's that integration and disappearing trick that's more difficult.

Mine doesn't quite disappear, but it's about as close as I will get without a parametric EQ. And sadly, newer SVS subs do not have the speaker-level inputs I need to integrate the sub into my two-amp system.

Ours are close.. does yours have the cover over the tonearm wires? Mine doesn't.. has anyone who has posted the SN had the sheath?
No, mine are bare. I have a suspicion that, (if it exist), the sleeve has either slid down into the plinth, or still laying in the arm tube. I could probably try and find out, but...I don't feel like it. :)

The Ultradeck has arrived! This is a factory refurbished model Music Direct was selling. If it wasn't for one little ding on the side, I'd assume this was brand new.

It came with the factory installed Ultra tracker cartridge, which I imagine is new, but I don't really know. I'm going to go with this cartridge for a few weeks, then install my Grado Gold3 w/ 8mz and see how that compares.

It's super early, but this deck is bringing the 3D soundstage I've been chasing since I started upgrading gear. My Technics SL1200 could provide a wide soundstage, but it stopped there. I was listening to Radiohead and could clearly place Thom right in the middle of the depth of field, with instrumentation in front of him (and to the left and right) and drums behind him. With the Technics, I would have just described the instrumentation as being more prominent, the drums less so, and Thom somewhere in the middle. Basically overlapping 2D images.

Stoked to be an official club member!

20200923_123941.jpg20200923_122744.jpg

The Ultradeck has arrived! This is a factory refurbished model Music Direct was selling. If it wasn't for one little ding on the side, I'd assume this was brand new.

It came with the factory installed Ultra tracker cartridge, which I imagine is new, but I don't really know. I'm going to go with this cartridge for a few weeks, then install my Grado Gold3 w/ 8mz and see how that compares.

It's super early, but this deck is bringing the 3D soundstage I've been chasing since I started upgrading gear. My Technics SL1200 could provide a wide soundstage, but it stopped there. I was listening to Radiohead and could clearly place Thom right in the middle of the depth of field, with instrumentation in front of him (and to the left and right) and drums behind him. With the Technics, I would have just described the instrumentation as being more prominent, the drums less so, and Thom somewhere in the middle. Basically overlapping 2D images.

View attachment 67426View attachment 67427

Congrats! You can touch that up with permanent marker.

View attachment 67426View attachment 67427
Gratz!! I can honestly say the thought of another turntable has never crossed my mind since getting the UD :)
Enjoy!!

Gratz!! I can honestly say the thought of another turntable has never crossed my mind since getting the UD :)
Enjoy!!
Thanks! I've learned never to say never, but I don't envision feeling the need to upgrade my vinyl components for many years. That's my goal right now - identify what I think will be end game for me, hunt bargains down, and get off the gear carousel. Except for cartridges. I'm really interested in playing around in that sandbox

Hello everyone,

New to the forums here, happy Ultradeck owner.
I do however have a slight issue, probably down to absolute stupidity 🙄

When using the anti skate weight, I occasionally get skips back to the outside of the record. Removing the anti-skate takes care of the issue. Tracking force is 2.0g (measured with a scale), using an UltraTracker.

Any suggestions? Notch 3 is recommended in the manual, but again... which direction are the notches measured? Towards the tonearm weight or the cartridge?

Thanks guys!

Hello everyone,

New to the forums here, happy Ultradeck owner.
I do however have a slight issue, probably down to absolute stupidity 🙄

When using the anti skate weight, I occasionally get skips back to the outside of the record. Removing the anti-skate takes care of the issue. Tracking force is 2.0g (measured with a scale), using an UltraTracker.

Any suggestions? Notch 3 is recommended in the manual, but again... which direction are the notches measured? Towards the tonearm weight or the cartridge?

Thanks guys!

Hi and Welcome.

The anti skate weight is set from the cartridge towards the counterweight. So “notch 1” is closest to the cartridge. Then count from there. Sounds like you have too much anti skate.

From the manual:

“If UltraDeckTM came with the UltraTrackerTM cartridge preinstalled, use Notch 3.”

Nothing like taking the platter off to grease the bearing and then have the platter not slide into place after 10+ attempts. It stops the same place like there's a spring between the bearing and the platter.

Me right now after all the bullshit this week:

source.gif

Back