MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Still no luck. I even went as far as pushing the pin all the way out. Here’s what things look like with the arm off. That’s it a pin and four holes. No bearings. Nothing fancy.

While the arm was off, I pushed the pin back in just the arm. Didn’t seem to have much of any resistance, if anything it has a little play to it. I attempted to look through the hole and my eyes suck. Even using a magnifying lamp. The tonearm wires may be what I’m seeing inside. I’ve got to pop back out tomorrow, and make sure they’re tucked out the way. I can’t see anything else that would create drag. That is unless they yoke is squeezing the arm. Slowly getting somewhere, don’t know where though.

Attachments

• 1997D9EF-C372-4F74-8EF0-1DA3B7E8A08A.jpeg
    1997D9EF-C372-4F74-8EF0-1DA3B7E8A08A.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 9C604F76-38F9-4848-B2C1-CE9FBD17561E.jpeg
    9C604F76-38F9-4848-B2C1-CE9FBD17561E.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 4DE67E04-AB38-4FB1-8B0B-83483052F9BE.jpeg
    4DE67E04-AB38-4FB1-8B0B-83483052F9BE.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 3CA0478B-09C0-4AD3-B00C-41C6FCB50864.jpeg
    3CA0478B-09C0-4AD3-B00C-41C6FCB50864.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
I suppose if the yoke were bent in on one side it might explain the pin sticking out and the additional friction, but that sure doesn’t seem like a minor oopsie.

really hope you can get this sorted, it pains me seeing the table in that condition.

I still like your theory about the wiring being in a bind. With the pin "play" you mentioned, the arm should be willing to balance. With so simple a yoke/pivot mechanism the problem has me baffled. In desperation, I wouldn't try to bend anything. If the wiring proves faultless, maybe some light sanding on the inside of the yoke to "deburr". Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and pay for a repair through Mofi. You're just one problem away from having an outstanding turntable. Best wishes.

Though perhaps reaching out to MoFi for confirmation would be wise, just as a CYA.
Still no luck. I even went as far as pushing the pin all the way out. Here’s what things look like with the arm off. That’s it a pin and four holes. No bearings. Nothing fancy.

While the arm was off, I pushed the pin back in just the arm. Didn’t seem to have much of any resistance, if anything it has a little play to it. I attempted to look through the hole and my eyes suck. Even using a magnifying lamp. The tonearm wires may be what I’m seeing inside. I’ve got to pop back out tomorrow, and make sure they’re tucked out the way. I can’t see anything else that would create drag. That is unless they yoke is squeezing the arm. Slowly getting somewhere, don’t know where though.
Honestly, I wouldn't monkey with it too much. You don't want to accidentally make it a bigger problem.

I still like your theory about the wiring being in a bind. With the pin "play" you mentioned, the arm should be willing to balance. With so simple a yoke/pivot mechanism the problem has me baffled. In desperation, I wouldn't try to bend anything. If the wiring proves faultless, maybe some light sanding on the inside of the yoke to "deburr". Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and pay for a repair through Mofi. You're just one problem away from having an outstanding turntable. Best wishes.

As for the yoke, I plan to measure the spread for consistency. Like you said it's such a simple pivot point. After checking the yoke it'll be back to looking deeper at the wiring.

Honestly, I wouldn't monkey with it too much. You don't want to accidentally make it a bigger problem.

The story of my life...I can't leave things alone. I wrote back to MoFi's reply and haven't heard anything. I did tell them I was the 2nd owner and my experience is that's usually a "well, had you bought it new we'll help, otherwise good luck".

I suppose if the yoke were bent in on one side it might explain the pin sticking out and the additional friction, but that sure doesn’t seem like a minor oopsie.

really hope you can get this sorted, it pains me seeing the table in that condition.

I reached out t the original owner, he never had these issues. He removed the original cart and replaced it and said everything was good, never had any issues. I'm operating on trust that he's being honest. I have no reason to believe otherwise. So, if he's telling the truth then my theory that the wires got pulled a bit removing the cart after auditioning may hold water. He wasn't an amateur, he knew his stuff so I really doubt that yoke is bent or he would have these same issues and he could have had MoFi fix them under warranty. We packed the table in the original box and it rode home on the floor of my truck.

Just got phone with MoFi, the table is going on a field trip back to its birthplace.

The rep was very cool about it all. He’s as perplexed as everyone else. He really doesn’t believe the wiring is the issue. And by seeing a mix of bare wire and covered wires, he could be right. In any event, the table will get a good go over. The money part sucks, but in for a penny, in for a dollar.

I’ll update once it returns, with Covid it’s not going to be a quick turnaround. Thanks again for help and kind words. So far, it’s been a pleasure to not deal with the normal forum bs on top of a sucky situation.

Just got phone with MoFi, the table is going on a field trip back to its birthplace.

The rep was very cool about it all. He’s as perplexed as everyone else. He really doesn’t believe the wiring is the issue. And by seeing a mix of bare wire and covered wires, he could be right. In any event, the table will get a good go over. The money part sucks, but in for a penny, in for a dollar.

I’ll update once it returns, with Covid it’s not going to be a quick turnaround. Thanks again for help and kind words. So far, it’s been a pleasure to not deal with the normal forum bs on top of a sucky situation.

We don’t “normal forum” around here. 😎

MoFi will get you straightened out. Sorry about the issue. Please let us know how it progresses and more importantly how you like it when you get it back.

At this point, I'd done the same thing. Don't beat yourself up about the money. Peace of mind is priceless. I hope it gets back to you soon. Keep us posted.

Back