Metal!

looking for recommendations with a caveat: I hate cookie monster vocals. I mostly grew up with and love thrash and I enjoy technical and prog metal and I like most other varieties of the ol' heavy metal, but those cookie monster vocals always fucking ruin it. If I can't understand what you're saying, you're just getting in the way of me hearing the music, cookiemonster singer dudes. anyone got any good recs for metal with clean (or not, just no growly dudes who need cookies) vocals?
Khemmis.

looking for recommendations with a caveat: I hate cookie monster vocals. I mostly grew up with and love thrash and I enjoy technical and prog metal and I like most other varieties of the ol' heavy metal, but those cookie monster vocals always fucking ruin it. If I can't understand what you're saying, you're just getting in the way of me hearing the music, cookiemonster singer dudes. anyone got any good recs for metal with clean (or not, just no growly dudes who need cookies) vocals?
Inhuman Nature are pretty good.

Hippie Death Cult

Astronoid

Visigoth

Telekinetic Yeti

Last edited:

Here’s the deepest of my cuts: Death Angel; WolfTooth; Bridge Farmers; Pig Destroyer; Toke; Huntsman; and Wraith.

Does Cheville count as “Metal”?

Otherwise, It’s likely you already know the big hitters in the mainstream.

My 16 y/o son went with a buddy to his first concert a couple weeks ago. A little background, he’s super into deathcore and has two guitars, including an 8 string, plays like crazy. Anyways, the lineup was Brand Of Sacrifice, Shadow Of Intent, Whitechapel, and As I Lay Dying. He was most excited about the two openers, somewhat for Whitechapel, and said he’d stay for As I Lay Dying if they were better live than on record.

First two bands, he got right up by the stage, and he said they just killed it. He moshed, got all sweaty, and had a blast. After each of their sets, he got to chat with the bands, got some autographs and pictures! He was so excited! He said Whitechapel and As I Lay Dying were good too, but overall had the best time ever.

As a music fan and a dad, I couldn’t have hoped for a better first concert experience for him to have than this one, to get swag, signatures and pics….what a fun experience for a 16 year old.

Here he is with the singer for Brand of Sacrifice
9208921A-9E06-48A8-A137-AF8679F9CEF0.jpeg

Any luck with Elder or King Buffalo?

ok, I love this. I wouldn't call it 'metal' (I've only heard a few songs though) but this is definitely in my wheelhouse and I love it. debating whether I want it digital or cd or wax or what, but i'm ordering some today, it's so, so good, thank you for mentioning them

Glad to help. I'm a BIG fan. First time I listened to 'Orion' back in the day, I was sold.

I've got some recommendations for you (I see someone already recommended Khemmis and Elder 👍)

Progressive Metal -  Haken. Best prog metal band since their debut in 2010. This cut is from their 2013 album The Mountain (my #2 for 2013).

Thrash -  Vektor. Their three records since 2009 showcase some of the best thrash metal since the 80s, IMO, especially 2016's Terminal Redux (In my top10 for 2016), which this track features on.

Prog Rock -  Opeth. One of my favorite bands of all time. They started out more black metal in style, transitioned to progressive death metal, and then in the 2010s they transitioned to mostly progressive rock and completely clean vocals. This cut is from their 2019 album In Cauda Venenum (my AOTY).

Let me know if you like any of these. I can always recommend more 🤘

I've got some recommendations for you (I see someone already recommended Khemmis and Elder 👍)

Progressive Metal -  Haken. Best prog metal band since their debut in 2010. This cut is from their 2013 album The Mountain (my #2 for 2013).

Thrash -  Vektor. Their three records since 2009 showcase some of the best thrash metal since the 80s, IMO, especially 2016's Terminal Redux (In my top10 for 2016), which this track features on.

Prog Rock -  Opeth. One of my favorite bands of all time. They started out more black metal in style, transitioned to progressive death metal, and then in the 2010s they transitioned to mostly progressive rock and completely clean vocals. This cut is from their 2019 album In Cauda Venenum (my AOTY).

Let me know if you like any of these. I can always recommend more 🤘

A lot of very solid bands listed, not all what I would consider metal (of all the recommendations, not just the ones in @musicjunkiegreg's post) but want to second Haken (I think you can still get a couple of theirs on sale at Newbury) and in that vein I also would throw out Astra as one of the best comparable bands out there.

A lot of very solid bands listed, not all what I would consider metal (of all the recommendations, not just the ones in @musicjunkiegreg's post) but want to second Haken (I think you can still get a couple of theirs on sale at Newbury) and in that vein I also would throw out Astra as one of the best comparable bands out there.
Glad to see someone else endorsing Haken! They took the progressive metal torch from Dream Theater in the 2010s and have been running strong since.

I discovered Opeth in 2008, just before the release of Watershed. Initally, I was turned off by their growl-style vocals, as I had never listened to any music with harsh vocals before. But I came to love Opeth's harsh vocal style, especially since Michael uses both harsh and clean vocals in many songs. Opeth was my "gateway" band into heavier and extreme metal 🤘

I forgot to recommend another of my favorite bands of all time,  Agalloch. I have coined them as a "dark metal" band, with their blend of black metal and post-metal. This cut is from their 2006 album Ashes Against The Grain (a top3 for me from that year). John Haughm's vocals are raspy, but they are decipherable and fit the music perfectly, IMO.

Back