Metal!

The debut album God's Country by Oklahoma experimental/industrial noise rock/sludge outfit Chat Pile really delivered. One of the heaviest things you'll hear all year. Intense, harrowing, brutal, nihilistic, this album is a hopeless expression of Ameican realities.

The debut album God's Country by Oklahoma experimental/industrial noise rock/sludge outfit Chat Pile really delivered. One of the heaviest things you'll hear all year. Intense, harrowing, brutal, nihilistic, this album is a hopeless expression of Ameican realities.

I didn't love the production on this one on first listen but Pitchfork just gave it BNM so I know i'll be seeing it a lot more. I'll have to give it another go, you and another buddy just brought it up. Thanks.

I didn't love the production on this one on first listen but Pitchfork just gave it BNM so I know i'll be seeing it a lot more. I'll have to give it another go, you and another buddy just brought it up. Thanks.
It's a challenging listen for sure. I feel like this is one that will take a few revisits to fully sink in and appreciate.

Hell yeah! I posted this one last week. One of the best metal albums of the year so far IMO
Lol, i'm going to delete mine now, I had even hearted yours but had only heard the single until that point.

Check out the new Wake album folks!

The Alberta, Canada quintet  WAKE is back with a new deathgrind album Thought Form Descent, and it crushes 🤘

Another standout metal release from today was this RBF Zigurat from Columbian grindcore/hardcore/sludge band MICO. This was my first experience with them and it was an absolutely relentless 43-minute experience. The drumming on this one was impeccable.

Finally got around to listening to this today. It goes hard as f*ck! Loving it.

I mean the Wake vocals make me roll my eyes but honestly I'll probably put up with it just because the music is killer
I guess if you're not a fan of harsher vocal styles these vocals wouldn't be for you. I think they compliment the music pretty damn well 🤘

Edit: Most extreme metal vocals are harsh like this. It took me a very long time to appreciate and then like (and love) harsher vocals. If you're looking to get into more extreme metal, but you're turned off by the vocals, I recommend starting with some other bands. Opeth and Agalloch were my two "gateway bands" into harsh vocals and extreme metal (I recommended both to you in a previous post ✌️)

Last edited:
Translation Loss has 20% off almost their entire catalog through today (minus only pre-orders and some recent selects).
Discount automatically at checkout.

Translation Loss has 20% off almost their entire catalog through today (minus only pre-orders and some recent selects).
Discount automatically at checkout.

Those Giant Squid albums are excellent.

I guess if you're not a fan of harsher vocal styles these vocals wouldn't be for you. I think they compliment the music pretty damn well 🤘

Edit: Most extreme metal vocals are harsh like this. It took me a very long time to appreciate and then like (and love) harsher vocals. If you're looking to get into more extreme metal, but you're turned off by the vocals, I recommend starting with some other bands. Opeth and Agalloch were my two "gateway bands" into harsh vocals and extreme metal (I recommended both to you in a previous post ✌️)
I'm an old metal head and I am familiar with the variety of genres and vocal styles; the vocals yes, definitely match the convention for the style, but holy smokes do I find that stylistic convention tiring and monotone. A little cookie monster goes a long way for texture -- Mike Patton's death metal yowls in Mr Bungle's "Merry Go Bye Bye" are so much more effective than if the whole thing were growls. I do like Opeth, Agalloch is on my to-listen playlist.

I'm not big on the 80s dramatic vocals often found in hair metal, but at least it doesn't wear my ear down like this stuff. I'll take an hour of Dio singing about rainbows over this; although for preference I do prefer clean-but-harsh vocals of, say, slayer/megadeth/metallica/anthrax/testament etc. I think John Bush's vocal turn in Anthrax was the best thing to happen to that band in a long, long time. Love me some Joey era material, but John Bush's voice is better suited IMO.

Back