May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 23 - underrated

Adem - Homesongs

I used to get sent 100s of useless albums. I reviewed gigs for a couple of years, and for all the good albums you had to ask PRs to send them. This is the *one* decent album I was sent unsolicited and I'm not sure why I listened to it, but I'm so glad I did. It is in my all-time top 10. It's so simple, mostly Adem playing acoustically but with lots of little embellishments, yet so warm. I love it.

20200523_094230.jpg

Day 21: An album to get drunk to
View attachment 48462

I always imagine myself sitting out in a porch, looking into a field of wheat or long grass, whiskey in hand, rocking in a chair. A little breeze on on your skin and everything's right for a while.

Day 22: First album in collection (alphabetically)
15902233182259088321055425644007.jpg

Also a fresh grab.

Day 22: First album in collection (alphabetically)
View attachment 48467

Also a fresh grab.

Day 23: An underrated gem
15902252236898481390746567477876.jpg

This vinyl release of this doesn't have all the tracks that you can find in digital, but it's still great. I definitely believe this group is underrated, but I don't have vinyl of their main project (Small Circle of Friends). So here is this one from their instrumental and beat project STUDIO75.

Day 23 - Am Underrated Gem

Constantines - Kensington Heights

Soulful rock out of Ontario, Canada. I fell in love with this album and then the band disappeared. As far as I know, they have not resurfaced. But, the album tackles issues that still effect the whole of us. The rich keep getting richer and the dwindling middle-class just keeps drowning in a credit river.

I will now take this time to praise the Discogs wantlist. I have been able to grab so many records that seem to have vanished by putting them in that want list and waiting. I’ve gotten about 4 albums, for retail price, that are impossible to find in any online store.
6379E994-1FEC-4A5F-BAE5-B8AB750275F9.jpeg

Couldn’t decide which one to throw up so I‘m tossing in both.

Art farmer Crawl space .
Since I haven’t been the most informed on Jazz releases I honestly don’t know if ifs under rated or not. I do now it is incredibly laid back, and moody . Very chill to have playing in the background, and I’m glad to have stumbled across it.

Grace Lightman Silver Eater
This one was a bit out of my wheelhouse, but I was instantly curios about the cover., so I gave it a listen .I find her voice pleasing and the whole record reminds me of a musical version of the movie Species except instead of being a sexy murdery alien, she’s a nice alien that loves humans and our culture and just wants to hang out in peace but she’s being chased by NASA . It’s weird but I keep coming back to it

29996570-D555-4C6C-A98F-DA18D332385B.jpeg

38F737BA-A52E-4977-820A-7D0DE87DA6DA.jpeg

So I feel a bit bad for skipping this lot in the A to Z ...so to make amends here is Blind Mans Zoo , which I thought was gonna be massive in 1989 thanks to Trouble Me ....one of the great alternative singles ... but it didn’t do a lot in the U.K. ..stupid charts ..beautifully produced album by the way ..full digital but sounds great on this original vinyl pressing

10,000 Maniacs “Blind Man’s Zoo” 1989

62B6834E-0C49-47B7-AA80-C39AD767472F.jpegF0D882CD-8E6E-43D1-8A8F-4EDFB910C559.jpeg

Nahko - My Name Is Bear (SideOneDummy Records, 2017 First Pressing)

Nahko is a fantastic underrated musician who plays spiritual/folk/rock music. He is the leader of the group 'Nahko And Medicine For The People' and is of mixed ethnic background which includes Puerto Rican and Filipino descent. My mate sent me this youtube video of his live 'Gondola Session' from 2013 and I was instantly captivated by his lyrics and coolness. Then, in 2018 the same mate rang to say that Nahko was performing at the tiny, and incredible, Omeara in London and a few of us managed to get tickets. The gig was incredible and it firmed my initial belief that Nahko was a cool, down to earth guy. In fact, at one point he started chatting to the crowd and was asking for the best places to visit when in London. Anyway, his music probably isn't to everyone's tastes, but I think he's fantastic and criminally underrated.

IMG_7260.JPG

No album could really equal how BIG the Black Album was...and before this was even released there was the "OH MY GOD THEY CUT THEIR HAIR THIS ALBUM SUCKS" crowd.

While I agree that this was the start of a down hill trend in the quality of the bands output, it has some great tracks.

Metallica ‎– Load
Elektra ‎– 61923-1, 1996

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Specialty

iMqkRp.jpg

tYTs0l.jpg

Day 23: An Underrated Gem
avery r. young / tubman.
I don’t know if calling this underrated is accurate. That would suggest that people were made aware of it and that critics had listened to it and gave it some publicity, good or bad. Nothing. I’m baffled. If someone told me this was a long lost Curtis Mayfield session from the 70’s, I would believe it. It’s that freaking good. There are a handful on Amazon for 15 bucks. Snatch one up. You can thank me later.3A7043D8-BAE2-4B3F-A865-FDAC5FC0A698.jpeg

Day 22: first alpha in collection

I went with titles and the actual first one is a record I am going to sell in a bit. So I went with the next one and it was this that I haven’t heard in yearsssss

View attachment 48549
The Corin Tucker Band - 1000 years

@Teeeee because I wanna

I love these CTB albums. But i always forget about them. I'll listen to them today.
Day 23: An Underrated Gem
avery r. young / tubman.
I don’t know if calling this underrated is accurate. That would suggest that people were made aware of it and that critics had listened to it and gave it some publicity, good or bad. Nothing. I’m baffled. If someone told me this was a long lost Curtis Mayfield session from the 70’s, I would believe it. It’s that freaking good. There are a handful on Amazon for 15 bucks. Snatch one up. You can thank me later.View attachment 48552
Someone in n&g posted about this album a bit ago. Was it you? I agree, this is criminally underrated. It is just the perfect mix of soul, gospel and funk. It's really excellent.

I love these CTB albums. But i always forget about them. I'll listen to them today.

Someone in n&g posted about this album a bit ago. Was it you? I agree, this is criminally underrated. It is just the perfect mix of soul, gospel and funk. It's really excellent.
I got into this Avery Young - Tubman album through @Ear Wax and put it in my best of 2019 list here - it is seriously good

Back