May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 22: First album in collection (alphabetically)

9A812F8A-A3A1-4A0A-8D20-81AAB2AF2626.jpeg

Aceyalone accompanied by Mumbles "A Book of Human Language"

Well the first page and a half was either 7", 12" or cassettes so it took a while to get to this and I'm happy I got here! It's been forever since I listened to this and I remember playing it a lot! Really heady raps over really dope beats! I was a big into Freestyle Fellowship and the whole Project Blowed scene but I tend not to pull out that stuff all that often, maybe I should revisit it?

Day 21: An album to get drunk to

I just realized I missed yesterday. Admittedly I had trouble with this prompt. I'm more of a one glass of wine with dinner kinda girl.

But this album reminds me of the north of England which is where I did my MA and all the crazy house parties my upstairs neighbors would throw.

Arctic Monkeys - Everything They Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
IMG_2901.jpeg

Day 22 - First album alphabetically

20200522_211941.jpg

ABBA - The Album

Love the interpretation of using album title instead of artist that alot of people have! I'm going with how I originally intended it

I was expecting to see alot more ABBA in here! Well anyways, I'm happy my pick wasnt already chosen. This album includes one of my favorite songs of all time so I'm excited to give it a spin

Just some quick contest updates! I have fallen a bit behind on my tracker and probably wont be able to work on it till monday due to work. That being said I have noticed some gaps in people's days, I will double check that those are accurate and I didnt just overlook something. And just a friendly reminder that to be entered in the drawing you must play an album for each theme, so if you got that gap be sure to fill it in!

Just some quick contest updates! I have fallen a bit behind on my tracker and probably wont be able to work on it till monday due to work. That being said I have noticed some gaps in people's days, I will double check that those are accurate and I didnt just overlook something. And just a friendly reminder that to be entered in the drawing you must play an album for each theme, so if you got that gap be sure to fill it in!

Looks like you missed my Day 14 post -

Day 14: Rated M for Mature

View attachment 46878

I got bored with this game...but the music is great.

Various ‎– The Music Of Red Dead Redemption II (Original Score)
Lakeshore Records/Invada ‎– LSINV225LP, 2020

Pressed at Optimal

GF7BIH.jpg

RcGBTs.jpg

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/35888/Red+Dead+Redemption+2/

DAY 23 - UNDERRATED GEM
Laura Stevenson - The Big Freeze
Decided to go with not only an underrated album, but an underrated artist in general. I discovered Laura Stevenson through her association with Jeff Rosenstock, and they're both artists who have had a major impact on my life and produced work that's been there when I needed it most. While Jeff has managed to make a name for himself, Laura still has yet to get the exposure she deserves. Her voice is one of my absolute favorites in music, hands down. The topics she writes about are often quite dark and deeply personal and she writes and performs with so much emotion. I'm rarely wowed by one person and a guitar, but the song "Nervous Rex" off of her debut album is just that and is a perfect showcase of what I love about her work. Her music is often more folk-influenced but she does shake it up fairly often with influences from other genres such as punk rock (she was a member of a band led by Jeff Rosenstock, after all). The album she put out before this one, Cocksure, is probably my favorite of hers, because it showcases her amazing talents against a punk rock and power pop backdrop and the contrast makes for some of the most compelling songs she's put out in my opinion. It was also the first album of hers I listened to so in that sense it will always hold a special place in my heart. The Big Freeze is her most recent album, released in March of last year, and is her most acoustic and intimate album yet, a hard left from Cocksure. Because of this, it didn't hit with the immediacy of her other albums and it's slow burn vibe and darker tone threw me for a loop. However it's a grower and it has some of her best writing and vocals in her entire career. This album seemed to *finally* get her some serious buzz and more attention, and I really hope that she continues to gain momentum and is recognized as the fantastic talent that she is. I was very close to making her my N&G AOTM artist, but her work can be hard to get on vinyl so I didn't want to risk it. Either way, I hope at least one of you has been swayed by my rambling to give her a chance and hopefully her music can strike a chord with you like it has me.
20200521_173646.jpg

DAY 23 - UNDERRATED GEM

Star Tropics "Lost world"

This is an album by a young boy/ girl dreampop band from Chicago, which I had discovered while surfing through bandcamp. It has some distant The Cure/The Smiths vibes and is really impressive, especially in regards to their young age. It is actually one of my favorite albums of 2017. ❤️ It starts with the only instrumental track "Windfall". Highlights for me are "Another sunny day", "All the way to heaven" and "Sparrow". 💜

Since then they've undergone some changes in the band, and I hope they'll be putting out another album in the future.

If you like some dreampop, give it a listen. 🙂

IMG_20200523_071551.jpg

Day 20: 2020 hype! View attachment 47916

I just played this and it's awesome 🔥

Day 21: An album to get drunk to
15902181961245522062561990031028.jpg

I always imagine myself sitting out in a porch, looking into a field of wheat or long grass, whiskey in hand, rocking in a chair. A little breeze on on your skin and everything's right for a while.

Back