May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 23: An underrated gem

I had 5 that I wanted to play but I narrowed it down to 4. Had my daughter eenie meenie miney mo the 4 and she chose this...

.that dog-Retreat From The Sun

Perfect blend of power indie pop and lovely harmonizing vocals. ❤️

Released and sold at 20th anniversary show at the El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles, CA.

Contains previously unreleased alternate versions and is not a direct reissue of the original album.

Hand-numbered edition of 200. All copies autographed on polyvinyl sleeve by Anna Waronker, Rachel Haden, and Tony Maxwell.

C9348C31-4BB8-4E18-B361-7BD47F7F99AF.jpeg

Honorable Mention:

AFD67E87-2516-4FC7-A23A-C8A7A17C80D5.jpeg

794028BE-0909-4E67-9BBE-91F5BD92FA7E.jpeg

084DB211-4F24-4E2D-9226-6715418EB6CC.jpeg

Day 23: Underrated Gem

I dunno if anyone else would agree but I feel it fits...

Jackie Wilson - The Jackie Wilson Story

3E6B1981-6EA7-408F-AE49-720663FC7A5F.jpeg

It’s weird that despite being named as an influence by the likes of James Brown & Michael Jackson and being named one of the greatest singers of all time by Rolling Stone, I almost never hear Jackie Wilson’s name or music being brought up anymore, which is why I’d classify him as underrated. Which is a damn shame because the music is so great!

Day 23: Underrated

I contemplated Led Zeppelin’s Presence, but it’s hard to call anything that sold millions of copies “underrated/overlooked.” So instead I’m going with the most-overlooked Beach House album of the 2010s.

When Thank Your Lucky Stars came out just 2 months after Depression Cherry, it felt like DC was the main event and TYLS was the afterthought. I’m a huge fan of the band but even I must confess that I didn’t feel up to the task of digesting another new album at that point.

Fast forward a year or so, I realized that TYLS was the Beach House album that I reached for most often. It doesn’t gel as an album inasmuch as it plays like a singles compilation. At this point I feel like DC was the “big” album that Beach House felt like they needed to make to follow up the successes of Bloom and Teen Dream, but TYLS is the one they held closer to their heart.

581B726F-CC1D-4E34-AD7F-044EDBD9CF01.jpeg

Day 23 - Underrated

I’ll never understand how this wasn’t one of the biggest albums of the 90s. It’s strange, catchy, full of great instrumental performances, and free of filler (rare for 90s alt albums). The band already had a hit record, so it’s not like they were just under the radar.

These days, it definitely has a cult following and a strong reputation, but still, this album was released at the right place and the right time but didn’t click.

Blind Melon - Soup
7599A1D5-D686-4375-94DA-2134A74EB162.jpeg

I had 5 that I wanted to play but I narrowed it down to 4. Had my daughter eenie meenie miney mo the 4 and she chose this...

.that dog-Retreat From The Sun

Perfect blend of power indie pop and lovely harmonizing vocals. ❤

Released and sold at 20th anniversary show at the El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles, CA.

Contains previously unreleased alternate versions and is not a direct reissue of the original album.

Hand-numbered edition of 200. All copies autographed on polyvinyl sleeve by Anna Waronker, Rachel Haden, and Tony Maxwell.

View attachment 48567

Honorable Mention:

View attachment 48568

View attachment 48569

View attachment 48570

Good thing I checked this thread first before my post for the day, I almost played that exact same Velocity Girl album! You have good taste :)

You know what? It's just so damn good I might spin it anyway.

Day 23: An Underrated Gem

While there is some undeniable mashed potato filler on this album (I'm looking at you T-Bone), this album also features some amazing guitar playing & effects. And it's got two underrated Neil classics - Southern Pacific and Shots - that deserve to be played at a high volume.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ re*act*or

IMG_7227.jpg

Day 23: An Underrated Gem

While there is some undeniable mashed potato filler on this album (I'm looking at you T-Bone), this album also features some amazing guitar playing & effects. And it's got two underrated Neil classics - Southern Pacific and Shots - that deserve to be played at a high volume.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ re*act*or

View attachment 48597
AIN’T GOT NO T-BONE!!!

Day 23: an underrated gem

Michna - Thousand Thursday

I think one of the most slept-on artists in the Ghostly International catalog is Michna, whose first album isn't even available on vinyl. The distinctive use of horns is the secret ingredient that really makes his vibrant electronic compositions stand out. I recommend the track "Time Will Tell" for a good feel of what this album's all about.

20200523_155949.jpg

Day 23 - why don’t you guys play the fuck out of this record!!!!

Queen of Gothic Blues!!! This album is amazing. I came to find her because she was supposed to open for Sturgill the first time I saw him. A storm prevented her from taking the stage, but I’ve been a fan since.
C484B744-20A5-4A50-A859-2DF276653719.jpeg
Adia Victoria - Silences

Last edited:

Official release date is next week, so it hasn't been rated yet! Which means it is completely underrated.

Nicole Atkins - Italian Ice

IMG_20200523_205856.jpg

Just received it today, and so far I am enjoying it. And right now "Captain" is playing, and I remember her playing it live at her show last year. Glad it made the album!

DAY 23 - UNDERRATED.

IMG_20200523_213146.jpg

It actually confuses me and breaks my heart that this album isn't as loved as it is... now, by the BAND, okay, I get it, it's a soundtrack of bad times.
I have the luxury of not having their experience, so when I listen to it, I am blown away every single time.
This album contains two of their best loved recordings, "Fourth Of July" and their version of Yoko Ono's "Listen The Snow Is Falling."
This album contains two of their best slow burn builders, "Way Up High" and "King of Spain (Part Two)."
And, honestly, my top two favorite songs of theirs ("Summertime" and "Melt Away") are on this one.
I listen to Today and On Fire because they are fabulous albums with great songs, indisputable classics. But my hear and source of influence as a musician and listener lies with This Is Our Music.

If you haven't heard it in a while, please re-visit.
If you've never heard it, I hope you'll thank me later.

Last edited:
DAY 24 - SOUNDTRACK SUNDAY
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Was having trouble coming up with something for this until I remembered this is technically a soundtrack (well, half of it anyway). Even though it's more of a compilation than an actual album, it's one of my favorite Beatles releases. For me, this is the peak of psychedelic Beatles. The soundtrack side is very surreal and eccentric, while the singles side contains some of their most enjoyable and well-crafted material from this era (in my opinion). "Strawberry Fields Forever" is one of my top Beatles songs but the rest of the songs are a treat to the ears as well. A fantastic record front to back ^_^
20200521_175428.jpg

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait
F558BB21-157A-4611-9D01-DFF2E36FB4E0.jpeg

Within the sturdy discography of Bob Dylan sits a few albums that are a bit unfairly maligned, none more so than his 1970 double LP Self Portrait. Coming off The previous decade where he had a Midas touch this album was certainly a letdown by comparison. That being said, it is still a pretty fun and loose record; probably didn’t need to be two LPs, but I still enjoy it front to back. It’s not an important record but it is definitely underrated gem and a pretty good time.

Last edited:
Day 22: First album in collection alphabetically

A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Ashes Grammar

I went with Discogs first listed, but I organize loosely by genre and then alphabetically within that, but even I don't go by articles. That's ok since I wanted to listen to this album anyway. This band is local to me and I was very excited when VMP repressed this one. I still think it's one of the better exclusives they've done.

IMG_20200523_235008.jpg

DAY 24 - SOUNDTRACK SUNDAY

For today I use the chance and play some Prince. He's my favorite artist. ❤️ I love his creativity, so many amazing albums. 🎨 This one was created to accompany his Graffiti Bridge movie. It features amazing tracks like "Joy in repetition", "Thieves in the temple", "New Power Generation", "The Question of U" and also features other artists as George Clinton or Mavis Staples.

Prince "Music from Graffiti Bridge"

IMG_20200524_074125.jpg

Back