May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 24 - soundtrack

Ahmed Malek - Musique Originale de Films

This is such a great album with a series of pieces written for Algerian films and TV. One of my favourite African sellers, himself Algerian, once found me an original of the 2LP compilation this release is based on and offered it to me for the bargain price of €800! It's fantastic music but...

20200524_115626.jpg

Day 23 - Underrated Gem

DAY 23 - UNDERRATED.

View attachment 48628

It actually confuses me and breaks my heart that this album isn't as loved as it is... now, by the BAND, okay, I get it, it's a soundtrack of bad times.
I have the luxury of not having their experience, so when I listen to it, I am blown away every single time.
This album contains two of their best loved recordings, "Fourth Of July" and their version of Yoko Ono's "Listen The Snow Is Falling."
This album contains two of their best slow burn builders, "Way Up High" and "King of Spain (Part Two)."
And, honestly, my top two favorite songs of theirs ("Summertime" and "Melt Away") are on this one.
I listen to Today and On Fire because they are fabulous albums with great songs, indisputable classics. But my hear and source of influence as a musician and listener lies with This Is Our Music.

If you haven't heard it in a while, please re-visit.
If you've never heard it, I hope you'll thank me later.

Great pick!
I'll follow with another underrated album from Dean Wareham.

Dean & Britta - Back Numbers

9D7AB677-9DD0-43A2-922F-FD92B9BB5B67.jpeg

Day 24: Soundtrack Sunday

Seu Jorge ‎– The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions (Hollywood Records, 2014 Clear Bootleg Pressing)

I was originally going to use the Chef soundtrack for today's pick, but I already used it later on. Luckily I have this incredible collection of songs to fall back on. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is one of my prefered Wes Anderson films, and this soundtrack definitely plays a big part of it. It consists of original David Bowie hits, performed by Seu Jorge acoustically in Portuguese. Bowie was a massive fan of this idea and stated "Had Seu Jorge not recorded my songs acoustically in Portuguese I would never have heard this new level of beauty which he has imbued them with". Although a bootleg (I dont think it has ever had an official release) it is actually a half-decent pressing. One day hopefully they will officially release it!

IMG_7276.JPG

Day 24 - Soundtrack Sunday

Switched On - A Link To The Past

A Link To The Past is one of the greatest video game soundtracks made, only being bested by Mega Man 2, and this version sees the songs being recreated with analog synthesizers. If you like any of the old chip-tune 8 and 16 bit soundtracks, I recommend you find Switched On over at Bandcamp. He has made this, The Secret of Mana, and is working on an Earthbound soundtrack to be released in the future.

Buy guilt-free, as well, since he gets the rights to reproduce the music and all original creators receive royalties.

EA1F520E-8563-47D9-BC0B-14CF8B2B799A.jpeg

Prince - Girl 6 Soundtrack

2xLPs of Prince songs for Spike Lee's movie Girl 6. This album was released as promo only as far as I can tell on vinyl. It has 3 previously unreleased tracks on it that are awesome. Plus it has Pink Cashmere on it and that song is so rad. @Lee Newman this one should be up your alley if you don't know it already...

IMG_1086.JPG

Last edited:
Day 23 - why don’t you guys play the fuck out of this record!!!!

Queen of Gothic Blues!!! This album is amazing. I came to find her because she was supposed to open for Sturgill the first time I saw him. A storm prevented her from taking the stage, but I’ve been a fan since.
View attachment 48607
Adia Victoria - Silences

I am REALLY liking this, Lee. thank you!

Big Little Lies

Not only is this a great soundtrack, but it's the perfect Sunday soundtrack! A great, soulful compilation that's full of jams to complement a lazy Sunday at home. One in which you're hanging out talking while having morning coffee, making breakfast with the fam, sleeping in, or whatever else you may want to do on a Sunday (but seriously, those should be the only things you do on Sunday ;))

Big Little Lies

Not only is this a great soundtrack, but it's the perfect Sunday soundtrack! A great, soulful compilation that's full of jams to complement a lazy Sunday at home. One in which you're hanging out talking while having morning coffee, making breakfast with the fam, sleeping in, or whatever else you may want to do on a Sunday (but seriously, those should be the only things you do on Sunday ;))

The music is maybe the best part of that show! Didn’t realize it came out on vinyl actually...

So... I don't actually own any soundtracks, I don't tend to listen to film music outside of the context of the film, I'm weird.

The closest I have is this pretend film score for a movie I would watch if it existed. Also the Sound of Silence cover on this album is awesomely haunting.

Chromatics - Closer to Grey
IMG_2903.jpeg

F086F7F1-841A-43AB-A505-E204FF238764.jpeg

Selections from the Original Motion Picture Sound Track BLOODS HAUL - The Keystones featuring Malcolm Catto

Now this is what I call a soundtrack!!! The movie is...um...well... probably not a real thing but the music is dope!! I actually thought I'd have to get creative today but I have a few more soundtrack options than I thought!

Day 23: Underrated

Hater - You Tried

I was surprised this didn't get more love when it came out in 2018 on the similarly underrated Swedish label, PNKSLM. Dream pop with post punk flourishes, but still hook driven in the way that seemingly all Scandinavians are born with. I also considered that Laura Stevenson record @gaporter picked, so give that a listen as well.

IMG_20200524_004545.jpg

Switched On - A Link To The Past

A Link To The Past is one of the greatest video game soundtracks made, only being bested by Mega Man 2, and this version sees the songs being recreated with analog synthesizers. If you like any of the old chip-tune 8 and 16 bit soundtracks, I recommend you find Switched On over at Bandcamp. He has made this, The Secret of Mana, and is working on an Earthbound soundtrack to be released in the future.

Buy guilt-free, as well, since he gets the rights to reproduce the music and all original creators receive royalties.

View attachment 48680

I just listened to a few of the tracks and I quickly smashed that buy button! Unfortunately bandcamp is down for maintenance, so I’ll have to check back later.
ALTTP is probably one of my favorite games!
Thanks for posting this!!!

P.S. I had a hard time choosing the color 😁

Back