Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

View attachment 16096

Never completely done but the “big moves” are hopefully done for awhile. About eight months effort this round. New Year’s res completed. Feels good to be organized again.

All racks are epoxy reinforced when built and off floor on risers. IKEA units have backstops added as shown earlier. All vinyl shown in this room added to Discogs. I also put on new Sleeve City outers and Mo-Fi inner sleeves as needed for each LP.

CD rack is double sided. CDs are stored as General, Jazz, or Classical. Vinyl starts next with 4 2x4 IKEA units. Vinyl is broken down into numerous subsections. Facing this way is Folk/Blues/Soul/Prog/Pysch.

View attachment 16093

Looking back from other end of room the center 2x4 IKEA units hold the Jazz sections. The eight stacked 2x2 units on the far wall hold Metal - General, the start of the Main - General (A thru G), and some smaller subsections.

View attachment 16098

All the sections are marked with dividers and labels. Box sets are stored alphabetical in bottom cubes of IKEA racks or randomly on top for display.

View attachment 16097

These racks are on opposite walls by couch. This one holds Mo-Fi and World sections. Opposite one holds more of the Main - General section as does the various double LP high racks in room center.

View attachment 16092

Finally, this little rack currently has Electronic and Autographed LPs. Cleaning station is anchored by VPI cleaner.
Are you sure this isn’t a picture from a store? Holy cow!

Not showing my collection here but needed to cry about it. We had a water pipe issue last night. It flooded my kitchen, which happens to be right over my vinyl collection and audio rack. The records are all in sleeves and in Kallaxes, and I thought they were ok. I just started moving stuff around in the the storage area where the records are, and the shelves all got flooded from the top of the kallax and then down the backs. Water poured into many (so far over 70%) of the sleeves and pooled inside.

If the percentage holds we are talking almost 700 records with water damage to their sleeves, and I guess that’s the best case I can hope for. Currently pulling them out, drying them, and trying to figure out how to avoid mold. The box sets got the worst of it as I didn’t have sleeves for those and apparently they act like sponges, sucking in water.

As for the stereo (this is my multi-media room) I’ve got a dead Denon AVR-X7200WA, dead ATI AT528NC 8-channel amp, two destroyed JBL Synthesis SCL-4’s, a trashed Revel C763L, and a severely damaged Deep Sea Sounds Marianna 18S passive. That is what I know about so far. Which is a LOT of fracking equipment, money, and time. Plus the wood floors upstairs, the ceiling which partially collapsed in the basement, the basement carpet and pad, and who knows what else.

I’m numb. I have insurance and a good policy, but I can see how this is going to be a fight.

Does anyone have any experience with stuff like this, especially the records, and how to minimize damage or get an after the fact, accurate, appraisal on things that are damaged?

Almost all of my Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, and Zep are toast. On a few the outer sleeve and inner sleeve just ... melted into the vinyl and residue is all over them.

Last edited:
Not showing my collection here but needed to cry about it. We had a water pipe issue last night. It flooded my kitchen, which happens to be right over my vinyl collection and audio rack. The records are all in sleeves and in Kallaxes, and I thought they were ok. I just started moving stuff around in the the storage area where the records are, and the shelves all got flooded from the top of the kallax and then down the backs. Water poured into many (so far over 70%) of the sleeves and pooled inside.

If the percentage holds we are talking almost 700 records with water damage to their sleeves, and I guess that’s the best case I can hope for. Currently pulling them out, drying them, and trying to figure out how to avoid mold. The box sets got the worst of it as I didn’t have sleeves for those and apparently they act like sponges, sucking in water.

As for the stereo (this is my multi-media room) I’ve got a dead Denon AVR-X7200WA, dead ATI AT528NC 8-channel amp, two destroyed JBL Synthesis SCL-4’s, a trashed Revel C763L, and a severely damaged Deep Sea Sounds Marianna 18S passive. That is what I know about so far. Which is a LOT of fracking equipment, money, and time. Plus the wood floors upstairs, the ceiling which partially collapsed in the basement, the basement carpet and pad, and who knows what else.

I’m numb. I have insurance and a good policy, but I can see how this is going to be a fight.

Does anyone have any experience with stuff like this, especially the records, and how to minimize damage or get an after the fact, accurate, appraisal on things that are damaged?

Almost all of my Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, and Zep are toast. On a few the outer sleeve and inner sleeve just ... melted into the vinyl and residue is all over them.
I am so sorry to hear this, I can't even imagine having this happen. While I haven't gone through this, I have had this conversation with my insurance agent, who's pretty up front with how policies sometimes play out with things like this. I've shown him my collection in pictures, I've explained value based on Cogs and his advice was this. Have photos of your collection in case you don't have the physical remains (In case of fire) to show the insurance company, then he advises to submit an accurate inventory of the lost items, in this case we talked about Discogs. Submit the inventory and use the high end as your value, now this is important, you will not get that, but if you get a settlement it will be a % based on that number. Since condition is hard to prove or disprove your best to submit the high end and you'll probably end up between the Med and High. That being said, he made no iron clad guarantee on any of this, but, it would be the best way to present it to your agent.

What I would suggest is downloading your collection from cogs and remove the low and mid values from the spread sheet, inform them that the dollar amount is being pulled from Cogs based on "Current Market Value".

Best of luck with all of this, I know for me it wouldn't be about the money, but how hard it would be to replace certain things.

Great advice from @Anthonyl above. I think everyone here who loves their vinyl collection shares your feelings and whole heartedly wishes you the best possible outcome.

I don’t need to tell you the most important thing is no one was hurt. Not that kind of tragedy. Hang in there. Keep enjoying music. Ultimately you can rebound and rebuild the collection.

You know a lot more about what you like in music now than u did when you started. You know a lot more about record collecting. With luck you can recoup the $$$. Then you take your knowledge, love of music, and use the new windfall to rebuild. A lot of empty shelf space and a wad of cash. Could be interesting.

Hope this came out with spirit it was intended because I am rooting for you 100%.

Not as bad as I originally feared as some shelves were spared. A little over 350 albums are pretty damaged. One that’s really hurting was one of my deceased moms. A signed original pressing of Simon and Garfunkel Songs of Silence. I can’t replace that.

That’s for the suggestions. The adjuster is coming over tomorrow and we will go over things. I have full replacement insurance coverage, and an umbrella policy, and a few others, so hopefully we can find ways to make this less painful.

Off to sleep. I’ve been up all night cleaning,drying, and assessing. Thanks again.

Back