Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

Anyone here have the Kallax shelving in walnut light gray that you could put up a picture? Trying to see if it looks like I think it does.
I was at Ikea three days ago to figure out which one I wanted, and in my opinion up close the walnut doesn't really hold up. It's a picture rather than actually veneer so it has a plastic look to it. With the right lighting you might be able to pull it off but it was fairly obviously not actual wood.

I was at Ikea three days ago to figure out which one I wanted, and in my opinion up close the walnut doesn't really hold up. It's a picture rather than actually veneer so it has a plastic look to it. With the right lighting you might be able to pull it off but it was fairly obviously not actual wood.
Thanks, exactly what I was wondering!

Thanks, exactly what I was wondering!
If you look at my photo they actually have this checkered design inside the white cubes now if you want it and again it's just a graphic BUUUT it kinda spices up the plain white if that's what you're looking for. Also the gray/plywood looks okay if lit properly, the plywood look is still a graphic but you gotta get pretty close to see that it is. However as it wears off from repeated sliding of albums across it, it'll look a bit more obvious...

I pimped one to house my African 7s with a map I bought off Amazon. But I need to buy another one as I've got so many of them...
View attachment 14635
And bought another one today! Went for the slightly dodgy colour scheme but hoping to cover it with something too once I work out. A mix of 30 Ethiopian singles, plenty from Benin, and a few western ones all ready to go in it. I can't quite believe I said 5 years ago I would never start buying 7s!
20190819_195521.jpg

Anyone have this issue? Put the kallax together and the top screw is in all the way but the top won't connect to the side piece. Every other sides are completely togetherimage.jpg

Anyone have this issue? Put the kallax together and the top screw is in all the way but the top won't connect to the side piece. Every other sides are completely togetherView attachment 15234

Is there resistance if you try to screw it further, like it’s stiff and acting like it’s fully screwed in?

If so, not good! If not keep screwing (great life advice too 😉) and it should pull itself together.

Is there resistance if you try to screw it further, like it’s stiff and acting like it’s fully screwed in?

If so, not good! If not keep screwing (great life advice too 😉) and it should pull itself together.
Twisted for three straight minutes and nothing changed, screw top just goes round and round. Have a feeling this isn't going to work, which is pretty shitty since IKEA is 40 minutes away

Twisted for three straight minutes and nothing changed, screw top just goes round and round. Have a feeling this isn't going to work, which is pretty shitty since IKEA is 40 minutes away

Maybe the screw didn’t grip properly. Have you tried talking it out and then putting it back in again to see if it grips better?

Anyone have this issue? Put the kallax together and the top screw is in all the way but the top won't connect to the side piece. Every other sides are completely togetherView attachment 15234
If I remember correctly those screws have a non-threaded section and the hole it goes into isn't evenly drilled through the board. It looks like the screw went in farther than it should have on the board it starts off in, so you've hit the non-threaded section going into the upright board....if this all makes sense. I know IKEA will replace boards, but I think your better off getting the entire thing replaced since its hard to tell which board is messed up.

The screw turning without moving has probably bored out the hole, so it's not going to be that strong anymore........like I said, as much as it sucks, I would go exchange it.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly those screws have a non-threaded section and the hole it goes into isn't evenly drilled through the board. It looks like the screw went in farther than it should have on the board it starts off in, so you've hit the non-threaded section going into the upright board....if this all makes sense. I know IKEA will replace boards, but I think your better off getting the entire thing replaces since its hard to tell which board is messed up.

The screw turning without moving has probably bored out the hole, so it's not going to be that strong anymore........like I said, as much as it sucks, I would go exchange it.
Yeah, this sounds right. Guess I'll go this week. Finally have all my records and want to display them before the school year starts. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I tried everything else but the board just isn't working

A1BDC8CB-C84F-40BD-A2CF-768A9F65E01E.jpeg

Never completely done but the “big moves” are hopefully done for awhile. About eight months effort this round. New Year’s res completed. Feels good to be organized again.

All racks are epoxy reinforced when built and off floor on risers. IKEA units have backstops added as shown earlier. All vinyl shown in this room added to Discogs. I also put on new Sleeve City outers and Mo-Fi inner sleeves as needed for each LP.

CD rack is double sided. CDs are stored as General, Jazz, or Classical. Vinyl starts next with 4 2x4 IKEA units. Vinyl is broken down into numerous subsections. Facing this way is Folk/Blues/Soul/Prog/Pysch.

E37F2568-6399-4F73-9E38-09F5576DBD9A.jpeg

Looking back from other end of room the center 2x4 IKEA units hold the Jazz sections. The eight stacked 2x2 units on the far wall hold Metal - General, the start of the Main - General (A thru G), and some smaller subsections.

6731F7D2-2001-481A-B315-1E9637855F87.jpeg

All the sections are marked with dividers and labels. Box sets are stored alphabetical in bottom cubes of IKEA racks or randomly on top for display.

A0CDC901-5B66-466B-8080-59E350F3DB72.jpeg

These racks are on opposite walls by couch. This one holds Mo-Fi and World sections. Opposite one holds more of the Main - General section as does the various double LP high racks in room center.

B4F35098-6B12-4139-B18E-0B0E8479CAD4.jpeg

Finally, this little rack currently has Electronic and Autographed LPs. Cleaning station is anchored by VPI cleaner.

Back