Let The Music Oracles Speak: The January Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

scotthilk

Hey, everyone! Hi! Hello! Happy New Year!

Welcome to the January 2024 Record Challenge thread. I am thrilled to be hosting this month. I’m a first-timer 'round these here parts, so bear with me. I have gone through probably twenty different versions of what I wanted to do this month and ultimately landed here. I hope you enjoy the prompts, themes, and fun in-between.

I have always enjoyed Oracle Cards. They have been a fun way for me to reflect and challenge myself. It often gets me thinking outside of my normal box and can help me gain insights, guidance, and inspiration. My wife gifted me this awesome set of Musical Oracle cards for Christmas. We have been picking one each day, and it has acted as a nice and fun way to start the day. I figured I could bring this idea into the thread in hopes that you get some joy out of it too.

The meat and potatoes of it all: Each day, I will post a Musical Oracle card for our prompt. I will randomly select one card a day. The chosen Musical Oracle will guide our listenings in various different ways.

How to play: Same as always - post a record (or CD/cassette/whatever suits you) that coincides with each prompt. Loose interpretations are fine. I want this to be fun and inspired, so I am trusting that each person will find their own meaning in the cards/prompts. Comments/write-ups/explanations are highly encouraged and will selfishly make this more fun for me. Try to play something someone else hasn't played!

The small symbols on each card symbolize the following:

Sunglasses = ATTITUDE
Bottle = LIFESTYLE
Music note = INSPIRATION

You can use these “symbols/keys” for inspiration, or, use the thoughts/prompts I offer with each post.

The fun: One lucky winner will win $50 cash money (Venmo, PayPal, Zelle, whatever) plus a pack of the Musical Oracle cards we used here. No other strings attached.

• For those of you who participate in all 31 days, you will be entered to win. *If no one makes all 31 days, I will use an alternative method to choose which rewards active and quality posts.

The “hat” will pick the winner at the end & draw will happen the afternoon of February 1st. So - play as much catch up as you need to! However, tallies will take place the afternoon of Feb 1st.

Due to the spirit of this idea, I am electing to NOT mass post all of the days at once. One day at a time.

OK - that’s enough fucking rules! Let’s get to the cards!

-----

1/3/2024 Update: So far, 17 people have played.. I did not expect this many! I can assure you that we will have some additional prizes and fun at the end.

Tracking spreadsheet for those who want to watch me waste all my time! Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
Week 1:

January 1: Frank Sinatra

IMG_9040.jpg

Frank Sinatra, known as "Ol' Blue Eyes," was a legendary American singer and actor who rose to fame during the mid-20th century. Renowned for his smooth voice and charismatic stage presence, Sinatra became a cultural icon and one of the best-selling music artists of all time. His contributions to the Great American Songbook and his influence on popular music have left an enduring legacy, making him a symbol of timeless musical elegance and sophistication.

A favorite of mine around dinnertime and starry evenings, Frank always sets a very particular mood. Pick whatever album this Oracle Card prompts for you - whether it be Sinatra himself, an adjacent artist/genre, or anything else that transports you to bar in far Bombay!

January 2: Beyoncé

IMG_9042.jpeg

Beyoncé, born in Houston in 1981, is a globally renowned singer, actress, and producer. From her early success with Destiny's Child to a prolific solo career, she has consistently dominated the music charts. Beyond her musical achievements, Beyoncé is a cultural icon known for her impact on social justice causes and her contributions to film, solidifying her status as one of the most influential and versatile entertainers of her generation.

“Queen Bee” encapsulates all forms of pop music. Pick whatever album this oracle cards prompts for you - whether it be Beyoncè herself, or something else that gets your body Jumpin’ Jumpin’. If you’re not in a pop mood, pick an artist who started off in a band / group and eventually had a successful solo career. Or, choose your own adventure!

January 3: Billie Holiday

IMG_9106.jpg

Billie Holiday was an iconic American jazz and blues singer born on April 7, 1915, in Philadelphia. With her emotive and distinctive voice, she became one of the most influential jazz vocalists of the 20th century, renowned for her ability to convey deep emotion and vulnerability in her performances. Despite facing personal hardships and societal challenges, Holiday's enduring legacy includes timeless classics like "Strange Fruit" and a profound impact on the evolution of jazz music. Her vocal artistry, akin to a musical chiaroscuro, navigates the highs and lows of life, painting poignant musical portraits and leaving an indelible mark on the tapestry of jazz and blues.

The “Lady Who Sings The Blues” is a popular pick over round’ these here parts on quiet evenings by the fire. Pick whatever album this Oracle Card prompts for you - whether it be Billie herself, or another artist that gives you a “Good Morning Heartache”.

January 4: Iggy Pop

IMG_9118.jpg

Iggy Pop
catapulted to fame as the frontman of The Stooges, a pioneering rock band that played a pivotal role in the emergence of punk and proto-punk in the 1970s. His dynamic stage presence, marked by unpredictable antics and raw vocal style, became a symbol of rebellion, setting the stage for the punk movement. Iggy's versatility as an artist, from garage rock to experimental sounds, showcased his enduring influence on rock music.

His legacy is marked not only by fame but by his crucial role in shaping the rebellious essence of punk and his lasting impact on subsequent generations of musicians. Pick whatever album this Oracle Card prompts for you - whether it be Iggy, The Stooges, or another album brimming with rebellious attitude.

January 5: John Coltrane

IMG_9136.jpeg

John Coltrane
, a luminary in the world of jazz, holds profound importance as a transformative force in the genre. Renowned for his groundbreaking improvisational skills and avant-garde approach, Coltrane pushed the boundaries of conventional jazz, reshaping its sonic landscape. His innovative work, particularly in albums like "A Love Supreme," not only influenced countless musicians but also transcended the realms of music, leaving an indelible mark on cultural and spiritual spheres, solidifying his legacy as a trailblazer in the evolution of jazz.

I fondly remember learning about Coltrane in my college Jazz History course. Back then, I could take or leave the genre. I'm still probably on the fence half the time. However, I can confidently say that Coltrane was an absolute innovator, genius, and light years ahead of the rest! Pick whatever album this Oracle Card prompts for you - whether it be Coltrane himself, another favorite jazz record, or a masterful genre bender.

January 6: James Brown

IMG_9147.jpg

James Brown, the iconic Godfather of Soul, left an indelible mark on the music industry, shaping the landscape of funk and soul in the 20th century. His revolutionary rhythmic innovations and electrifying stage presence made him a trailblazer, influencing countless artists across genres. Brown's social and political activism, evident in songs like "Say It Loud – I'm Black and I'm Proud," contributed to the civil rights movement, amplifying his cultural impact. His enduring legacy extends beyond music, as James Brown remains a symbol of resilience, artistic innovation, and a powerful force for social change.

A personal favorite of mine! Let's get funky. 🤩

January 7: Amy Winehouse

unnamed.jpeg

Amy Winehouse rose to fame and popularity due to her extraordinary vocal talent and unique blend of jazz, soul, and R&B, making her a standout artist in the mid-2000s music scene. Her second studio album, "Back to Black," released in 2006, catapulted her to international stardom with hits like "Rehab" and "Back to Black," showcasing her raw and emotive singing style. Winehouse's magnetic personality and unapologetic approach to her art endeared her to fans, while her turbulent personal life and struggles added a layer of complexity to her public image. Despite her tragically short life, Amy Winehouse's legacy endures through her timeless music, influencing subsequent generations and earning her a permanent place in the annals of soulful and authentic musical expression.

I love Amy Winehouse. What a talent - gone far to soon. Spin whatever you want, as usual. Extra emphasis today on showing Amy some love (post duplicates are OK, due to her limited output). Otherwise, try to spin an artist who left this earth too soon.

-Scroll down to the next post for our Week 2 picks-

Last edited:
Week 2:

January 8: Ludwig Van Beethoven

IMG_9185.jpg

Ludwig van Beethoven
rose to popularity in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, captivating audiences with his extraordinary talent as a composer and pianist. His innovative contributions to music during this period marked a transition from the classical to the romantic era, introducing dynamic and expressive elements that redefined the art form. Beethoven's importance is underscored by his ability to push the boundaries of traditional musical structures, creating emotionally charged and groundbreaking compositions. His enduring legacy spans centuries, influencing subsequent generations of composers and leaving an indelible mark on the cultural and artistic landscape of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Beethoven holds a special place as my ultimate favorite "Classical" composer. His profound impact on both the piano and symphonic realms is nothing short of extraordinary, transcending the limits of musical expression. The brilliance of his piano compositions, coupled with the emotive depth found in masterpieces like the "Ode to Joy" melody, resonates with a timeless and unworldly allure. Let Beethoven guide your listening today - whether it's Beethoven himself, another Classical composer, a symphony, or anything else that the card inspires in you!

January 9: Janis Joplin

IMG_9202.jpg

Janis Joplin, a legendary American singer and songwriter, played a pivotal role in shaping the landscape of rock music during the 1960s. Her raw and powerful vocal style, coupled with an uninhibited and passionate stage presence, set her apart as an icon of the counterculture movement. Joplin's importance lies in her ability to break traditional gender norms in the music industry, proving that women could be just as influential and rebellious as their male counterparts. Her enduring legacy endures through her timeless hits like "Piece of My Heart" and "Mercedes Benz," as well as her impact on subsequent generations of musicians who continue to draw inspiration from her fearless and authentic approach to music.

I was thinking about Janis yesterday and then grabbed this card. The oracles speak! I am fortunate to know one of her family members, so I've always felt a very slight extra connection to her via that connection.

Janis' voice is unmistakable. Let this card guide you today - whether you throw on some Janis herself, someone who was influenced by her, or someone who has a voice you recognize the second you hear it!

January 10: David Bowie

IMG_9235.jpg

David Bowie
is celebrated for his groundbreaking contributions to the music industry, earning him enduring popularity and recognition as one of the most important musicians of all time. First and foremost, his chameleon-like ability to reinvent himself across various musical genres, from glam rock to electronic and experimental sounds, showcased an unparalleled versatility that captivated audiences. Bowie's charismatic stage presence and distinctive fashion sense, notably his iconic alter ego Ziggy Stardust, elevated him to a cultural icon, influencing fashion trends and challenging societal norms. His groundbreaking albums, such as "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" and "Heroes," are considered masterpieces that pushed artistic boundaries. Bowie's impact extended beyond music, as his work in film and art, coupled with his androgynous persona, challenged conventional notions of identity and established him as a symbol of liberation and self-expression. David Bowie's multifaceted talent, innovation, and cultural influence solidify his status as a legendary and enduring figure in the history of music.

David Bowie was often dubbed the "chameleon of rock" due to his constant musical reinventions. Spin a record today by Bowie, influenced by Bowie, an influence of Bowie, or another "chameleon of a genre" in your collection.

Bowie was one of the best to ever do it!

January 11: Kendrick Lamar

IMG_9256.jpg

Kendrick Lamar is renowned for his impactful contributions to the hip-hop genre, earning fame through his exceptional lyricism, storytelling, and social commentary. His innovative and thought-provoking albums, such as "good kid, m.A.A.d city" and "To Pimp a Butterfly," showcase his ability to address complex societal issues, making him a voice for the marginalized. Lamar's legacy is marked by his influence on the evolution of rap, seamlessly blending conscious rap with mainstream appeal. Notable accolades include multiple Grammy Awards, a Pulitzer Prize for Music, and widespread acclaim for his ability to consistently push artistic boundaries while remaining socially relevant.

Over the past decade, Kendrick has taken the rap and hip hop game by storm. Today, spin something that pays homage to Kendrick - whether it be Kendrick himself, other rap/hip hop artists, or another young new artist who has jumped to the top of their genre over the last ten years.

January 12: Patti Smith

IMG_9276.jpg

Patti Smith is celebrated for her revolutionary contributions to the punk rock movement in the 1970s, blending poetry with music in a unique and influential way. Her distinctive vocal style and powerful stage presence have captivated audiences, earning her a reputation as the "punk poet laureate." Beyond her musical prowess, Smith's socially conscious lyrics and fearless approach to self-expression resonated with a generation seeking authenticity and rebellion. Her legacy endures not only for her iconic albums like "Horses" but also for inspiring subsequent generations of artists to embrace individuality and challenge conventional norms in the world of music.

To be honest, I am the least familiar with Patti Smith out of all of the oracles thus far. That will change today! That being said, consider playing an album today either by Patti Smith, reflecting her influence, OR explore music by an artist you're less acquainted with but eager to discover.

January 13: Bruce Springsteen

IMG_9301.jpg

Bruce Springsteen
, renowned for his unparalleled contributions to rock music and his role as a prominent singer-songwriter, has left an indelible mark as a global icon. His distinctive voice and dynamic performances, coupled with poignant lyrics, have garnered him fame that soared with albums like "Born to Run" and "Born in the U.S.A.," addressing themes of working-class struggles and the American experience. Beyond his musical prowess, Springsteen's legacy extends to activism, where he champions social causes and inspires a sense of unity through his art.

His influence extends far beyond the stage, earning him the title of "The Boss" and solidifying his status as a cultural icon. Springsteen's enduring legacy is not only in chart-topping hits but also in the profound connection he establishes with people through his art, fostering a sense of unity and shared experience. As he continues to create and perform, Bruce Springsteen remains a beacon in the world of music, leaving an indelible mark on the hearts and minds of his fans.

It's the weekend. Let's pay homage to The Boss! Spin whatever does that for you, or whatever this card reminds you of.

January 14: Shakira

IMG_9311.jpg

Shakira's
journey to fame is rooted in her exceptional musical talent and diverse influences. Rising to prominence with her unique voice, she has explored various genres such as pop, rock, and Latin music, showcasing a versatility that has resonated with audiences globally. The release of "Whenever, Wherever" marked a pivotal moment, propelling her to international stardom and highlighting her distinctive blend of Latin and Middle Eastern elements.

Shakira's performances, characterized by engaging dance moves and stage presence, have contributed to her enduring popularity. Her ability to connect with audiences on a personal level has solidified her status as a respected artist.

Shakira's impact on pop music with her distinct Latin influence is undeniable. Explore tracks today either by Shakira herself, influenced by her unique style, or by artists who have introduced a fresh ethnic voice to popular music.

-Scroll down to the next post for our Week 3 picks-

Last edited:
Week 3:

January 15: Nina Simone

IMG_9324.jpg

Nina Simone
achieved popularity and left an enduring legacy for several reasons. Firstly, her unique voice and exceptional talent as a singer and pianist set her apart in the music industry. Her ability to blend genres such as jazz, blues, and classical music contributed to her distinctive sound that resonated with a diverse audience. Secondly, Simone's powerful and socially conscious lyrics tackled issues of civil rights and racial injustice, making her a prominent figure in the activism of the 1960s. Her iconic song "Mississippi Goddam" became an anthem for the Civil Rights Movement. Thirdly, her live performances were renowned for their emotional intensity and captivating stage presence, solidifying her reputation as a dynamic and charismatic performer. Additionally, Nina Simone's influence extended beyond music; she remains a symbol of empowerment and resilience for marginalized communities. Her impact on future generations of musicians is evident in the countless artists who cite her as a major inspiration, ensuring that her legacy continues to thrive in the world of music and social change.

Whether it's "Little Girl Blue", "I Put A Spell On You" or "The Blues", play something by or inspired by Nina today!

January 16: Jimi Hendrix

IMG_9333.jpg

Jimi Hendrix,
born in 1942, stands as a pioneering force in the history of rock music. Renowned for his revolutionary approach to the electric guitar, Hendrix catapulted to fame in the 1960s with The Jimi Hendrix Experience and their groundbreaking album, "Are You Experienced," released in 1967. Tracks like "Purple Haze" showcased his unparalleled skill and innovative use of feedback and distortion.

Hendrix's influence transcended the musical realm; he became an emblem of counterculture, known for his bold fashion choices and advocacy for peace during a tumultuous era. His performances at iconic events like Woodstock solidified his status as a cultural icon.

Tragically, Hendrix's life was cut short at the age of 27 in 1970, but his impact lives on. His posthumously released albums, including "Electric Ladyland" and "Band of Gypsys," continue to captivate audiences, ensuring that his legacy as a transformative figure in rock and roll endures. Jimi Hendrix's artistic innovation, stage charisma, and cultural influence make him an enduring symbol of musical creativity and rebellion.

One of the most influential guitarists and musicians ever. Period. Spin something today inspired by this card - whatever it may be! Long live the spirit of Jimi Hendrix - one of my all time favorites.

January 17: Lou Reed

IMG_9349.jpeg

Lou Reed
was crucial in shaping the landscape of rock music with his influential work as the frontman for The Velvet Underground. His songwriting, characterized by gritty realism and poetic lyricism, challenged conventional norms and explored taboo subjects. Reed's solo career further showcased his versatility, from the iconic "Transformer" album to experimental ventures. His impact on alternative rock and his fearless approach to artistic expression solidify Lou Reed's lasting legacy in the music industry.

“Music should come crashing out of your speakers and grab you, and the lyrics should challenge whatever preconceived notions that listener has.” - Lou Reed

You know what to do!

January 18: Bob Marley

IMG_9378_Original.jpg

Bob Marley, born on February 6, 1945, in Nine Mile, Jamaica, emerged as a musical luminary whose influence extended far beyond the boundaries of reggae. A charismatic and passionate figure, Marley's early life was marked by poverty, yet he rose above adversity to become a global symbol of resistance and unity through his music.

In the 1970s, Bob Marley and The Wailers gained international recognition, with albums like "Catch a Fire" and "Burnin'" solidifying their reputation. Marley's distinctive voice and songwriting prowess, often inspired by Rastafarian beliefs, resonated with audiences worldwide. His music transcended genres, incorporating elements of ska, rocksteady, and reggae, creating a unique and compelling sound.

One of Marley's most enduring contributions was his ability to infuse his lyrics with messages of love, peace, and social justice. Songs like "One Love," "Redemption Song," and "Buffalo Soldier" became anthems for those advocating for equality and human rights. Marley's commitment to addressing societal issues through his art left an indelible mark on the world of music.

His influence extends far beyond the realm of music, as he is revered as a symbol of cultural identity and social activism. The posthumous release of compilation albums like "Legend" further cemented his status as one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Bob Marley's impact on reggae and global music culture remains immeasurable. His timeless songs continue to inspire new generations, making him not only a musical icon but a powerful force for positive change and unity on a global scale.

As many of you know, I'm a die-hard reggae fan. I've been playing in reggae bands since I was 15 years old, and have been fortunate enough to open for several reggae legends who were influenced by Mr. Marley. Spin something today by or influenced by Bob, another reggae album, or anything else this card embodies for you!

January 19: Keith Richards

unnamed.jpg

Keith Richards
is a towering figure in the realm of rock and roll, renowned for his profound musical influence. As the lead guitarist and songwriter for The Rolling Stones, he has been a driving force behind the band's enduring success for over six decades. Richards' innovative guitar playing, characterized by gritty riffs and raw energy, has set the standard for rock musicians worldwide. His blues-inspired approach to the guitar, coupled with a rebellious stage presence, has left an indelible mark on the genre.

Beyond his instrumental contributions, Keith Richards' songwriting has been pivotal to The Rolling Stones' extensive catalog of hits. His collaboration with Mick Jagger produced timeless classics like "Satisfaction," "Paint It Black," and "Sympathy for the Devil." Richards' impact goes beyond the music itself, as he has become a cultural icon synonymous with the hedonistic and free-spirited ethos of rock and roll. Despite the challenges of a tumultuous lifestyle, Richards' enduring passion for music and his role in shaping the rock genre solidify his legacy as one of the greatest guitarists and influencers in the history of popular music.

Let the Beatles vs. Stones battle commence! No, seriously, The Stones kick ass. Play something by them, or another rock group you fancy!

January 20: Elvis Presley

IMG_9435.jpeg

Elvis Presley
, often referred to as the "King of Rock and Roll," rose to fame in the mid-20th century and became a cultural icon. Born in 1935 in Tupelo, Mississippi, Elvis's distinctive blend of rock, blues, and country music revolutionized the music industry. His energetic performances, charismatic stage presence, and unique vocal style set him apart. Elvis's breakthrough came with hits like "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Hound Dog," which not only topped charts but also ignited a fervor among fans.

Elvis's influence extended beyond music; he became a symbol of rebellion and youth culture. His impact on the entertainment industry, from music to film, is immeasurable. Despite facing challenges in his personal life, Elvis's legacy endures through his timeless music and the enduring image of the hip-shaking, leather-clad performer who forever changed the landscape of popular music. Even decades after his death in 1977, Elvis Presley remains an immortal figure, celebrated for his contributions to the evolution of rock and roll and his lasting influence on subsequent generations of musicians.

Elvis was a polarizing figure when he first hit the scene. Spin something by Elvis, or another artist who completely shocked the music world upon their arrival.

January 21: Tina Turner

IMG_9450.jpeg

Tina Turner was an iconic American-born Swiss singer, songwriter, and actress. Renowned for her powerful and soulful voice, she initially rose to prominence alongside Ike Turner as part of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue during the 1960s. Despite facing tumultuous moments in her personal life, Tina exhibited immense resilience, leaving the abusive relationship and forging a remarkable solo career. In the 1980s, she achieved unparalleled success with chart-topping hits like "What's Love Got to Do with It," showcasing her ability to transcend musical genres.

Beyond her extraordinary musical talent, Tina Turner's life story became a source of inspiration for many. Her autobiography, "I, Tina," and the biographical film "What's Love Got to Do with It" shed light on her journey, resilience, and triumph over adversity. Turner's impact on the music industry is immeasurable, and she is rightfully recognized as the "Queen of Rock 'n' Roll." Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Tina Turner's enduring legacy extends far beyond her chart-topping hits, reflecting her indomitable spirit and contribution to the cultural landscape.

“My legacy is that I stayed on course…from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me.” - Tina Turner

Spin something by Tina today, or another artist that you “believe in” to your core.

-Scroll down to the next post for our Week 4 picks-

Last edited:
Week 4+

January 22: John Lennon

IMG_9480.jpeg

John Lennon’s popularity stemmed from his undeniable musical talent, both as a member of The Beatles and in his solo career. His songwriting prowess, marked by poignant lyrics and catchy melodies, resonated with a global audience. Lennon's charismatic personality and distinctive voice made him a magnetic figure, captivating fans worldwide. Beyond music, his advocacy for peace and activism added depth to his public persona, making him an influential cultural icon. Lennon's willingness to embrace experimental and avant-garde music showcased his versatility and creativity. Even after his tragic death in 1980, Lennon's legacy endures as a symbol of artistic innovation, peace, and a lasting impact on the music industry.

One of the best musicians ever from one of the best bands ever. John’s legacy reaches further than words can describe. Spin something today by Lennon, The Beatles, or an adjacent artist that reminds you of him.

January 23: Freddie Mercury

IMG_9514.jpg

Freddie Mercury
, born Farrokh Bulsara, was a British singer, songwriter, and the flamboyant frontman of the legendary rock band Queen. Born in Zanzibar in 1946, Mercury's unique vocal range and powerful stage presence made him an iconic figure in the music industry. His ability to seamlessly blend rock, opera, and pop genres set Queen apart from other bands of their time. One of his biggest accomplishments was the creation of timeless anthems, including "Bohemian Rhapsody," a groundbreaking song that defied musical conventions and became a cultural phenomenon. The operatic and multi-tracked masterpiece showcased Mercury's vocal versatility and established Queen as a trailblazing force in the world of rock music.

Mercury's impact extended beyond his musical talents. As an openly gay artist during a time when it was less common, he challenged societal norms and became a symbol of LGBTQ+ empowerment. His unapologetic approach to his identity paved the way for greater acceptance in the music industry and beyond. Despite facing personal struggles, including his battle with AIDS, Mercury continued to create music until his passing in 1991. His legacy endures through Queen's continued influence on contemporary music, with their songs remaining popular and iconic. Freddie Mercury's contribution to the world of music and his fearless authenticity have left an indelible mark on the hearts of fans worldwide, solidifying his status as one of the greatest and most beloved performers in rock history.

First we had the King of Rock, then the Queen of Rock, and now.. Queen! Another one of my favorites. Freddie was a true legend. Spin something today by Queen, an artist that was a part of Live Aid 85', or any other artist that this card inspires.

January 24: Kurt Cobain

IMG_9537.jpeg

Kurt Cobain was a pivotal figure in the music industry, best known as the lead vocalist and guitarist of the iconic rock band Nirvana. Born on February 20, 1967, in Aberdeen, Washington, Cobain displayed a passion for music from a young age. Nirvana's breakthrough came with their second album, "Nevermind," released in 1991, featuring the smash hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Cobain's distinctive songwriting and raw, emotional performances contributed to the band's immense success and their influence on the grunge movement.

Tragically, Kurt Cobain's life was cut short when he died by suicide on April 5, 1994, at the age of 27. His untimely death shocked the music world and left a lasting impact on fans globally. Cobain's legacy endures not only through Nirvana's enduring popularity but also through his status as an emblematic figure of the '90s alternative rock scene. His influence extends beyond music, as Cobain is often remembered for his anti-establishment ethos and the challenges he faced in the spotlight.

Kurt and Nirvana influenced a whole generation; a whole genre; a whole movement. Spin something today by Nirvana, an artist who was influenced by Nirvana, or anything else that this card inspires.

January 25: Marvin Gaye

IMG_9550.jpg

Marvin Gaye, a seminal figure in the realm of soul and R&B music, left an indelible mark on the musical landscape with his distinctive voice, poignant lyrics, and innovative approach to songwriting. Born on April 2, 1939, in Washington, D.C., Gaye's early career was marked by success with hits like "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" and "Ain't That Peculiar." However, it was his collaboration with Motown producer Berry Gordy that catapulted him to international fame. Gaye's socially conscious and introspective works in the 1970s, such as the groundbreaking album "What's Going On," showcased his ability to address pressing social issues, making him not just an entertainer but also a voice for change.

Marvin Gaye's impact on the music industry extended beyond his chart-topping hits. His ability to infuse soulful melodies with meaningful commentary on issues like racism, war, and social justice set him apart as a visionary artist. Tragically, Gaye's life was cut short when he was shot and killed by his father on April 1, 1984, at the age of 44. Despite the untimely end to his life, Marvin Gaye's legacy endures through timeless classics like "Sexual Healing," "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," and his influence on subsequent generations of musicians who continue to draw inspiration from his innovative musical style and profound lyricism.

Mr. Gaye always knows how to set the mood. Spin something that "sets a mood" for you - whatever mood you want!

January 26: Lady Gaga

IMG_9553.jpg

Lady Gaga
's unparalleled popularity can be attributed to a combination of her exceptional musical talent, avant-garde style, and unapologetic individuality. From the onset of her career, Gaga showcased an extraordinary vocal range that set her apart in the highly competitive music industry. Her ability to seamlessly blend pop, dance, and electronic elements produced infectious and chart-topping hits that resonated with a diverse audience. Songs like "Poker Face," "Bad Romance," and "Shallow" demonstrated her versatility and ensured a widespread appeal, earning her a devoted fan base.

Beyond her musical prowess, Lady Gaga's bold and distinctive fashion choices became synonymous with her brand. Whether it was the infamous meat dress or her futuristic glam persona, Gaga's fashion became a form of artistic expression that mirrored her fearless approach to creativity. Additionally, her advocacy for LGBTQ+ rights, mental health awareness, and other social issues endeared her to fans who appreciated her authenticity and commitment to using her platform for positive change. Lady Gaga's popularity is not just about her music; it's a result of her multi-faceted artistry, unique persona, and genuine connection with her audience.

I saw Lady Gaga's jazz show in Vegas a few years ago and it was really inspiring. She's the real deal! Spin something today by Gaga, an individual/band who "oozes individuality", or another artist who this card inspires.

January 27: Bob Dylan

IMG_9552.jpeg

Bob Dylan is an iconic American singer-songwriter and musician who played a pivotal role in shaping the landscape of folk and rock music. Rising to prominence in the early 1960s, Dylan's lyrical prowess and distinctive vocal style set him apart as a powerful voice of his generation. His early work, marked by protest songs and social commentary, such as "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times They Are a-Changin'," made him a symbol of the counterculture movement and a spokesperson for civil rights.

Dylan's ability to evolve and experiment with different musical styles throughout his career has contributed to his enduring fame. From folk to rock to country, he continually reinvented himself, creating a diverse body of work that spans over six decades. Notable albums like "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blonde on Blonde" showcased his poetic lyrics and innovative approach to music, solidifying his status as a cultural icon. Bob Dylan's impact on the music industry goes beyond his individual achievements; he has influenced countless artists and remains a figure of inspiration for those exploring the intersection of music and social commentary. His legacy as a Nobel laureate in literature, multiple Grammy Award winner, and an enigmatic figure in the history of popular music cements his place as one of the greatest and most influential artists of all time.

Today, throw on something by Dylan - or - play something by an artist who is a masterful storyteller.

January 28: Johnny Cash

Click here for January 28 // Johnny Cash

January 29: Prince

Click here for January 29 // Prince

January 30: Joni Mitchell

Click here for January 30 // Joni Mitchell

January 31: Ravi Shankar

Click here for January 31 // Ravi Shankar

Last edited:

IMG_9040.jpg

Mr. Sinatra kicks our January challenge off! Frank Sinatra, known as "Ol' Blue Eyes," was a legendary American singer and actor who rose to fame during the mid-20th century. Renowned for his smooth voice and charismatic stage presence, Sinatra became a cultural icon and one of the best-selling music artists of all time. His contributions to the Great American Songbook and his influence on popular music have left an enduring legacy, making him a symbol of timeless musical elegance and sophistication.

A favorite of mine around dinnertime and starry evenings, Frank always sets a very particular mood. Pick whatever album this oracle cards prompts for you - whether it be Sinatra himself, an adjacent artist/genre, or anything else that transports you to bar in far Bombay!

Last edited:
Day 1: Frank Sinatra

Mr. Sinatra
kicks our January challenge off! Frank Sinatra, known as "Ol' Blue Eyes," was a legendary American singer. A favorite of mine around dinnertime and starry evenings, Frank always sets a very particular mood. Pick whatever album this oracle cards prompts for you - whether it be Sinatra himself, an adjacent artist/genre, or anything else that transports you to bar in far Bombay!

Lou Reed is responsible for (Ol') Pale Blue Eyes via The Velvet Underground but I'm going down a less trodden path.

This is a cover of a song made famous by Sinatra found on a Rob Wasserman record of duets. This one is with Lou. It's stellar.

RIP to all three of you guys. Thanks for everything...

Rob Wasserman - Duets

20240101_010334.jpg

It's been a while since I've played this, so I went with it.

Frank Sinatra – Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely
Capitol Records – W-1053, 1958

Mono

Pressed at Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Scranton

GaBPpmS.jpg

tbQiKTs.jpg

IMG_9085.jpeg

Aside from spinning some Frank today, Blossom Dearie was the first thing I thought of. While not as swingin’ as Frank Sinatra, Blossom’s vocal melodies and harmonies were inspired by him. She also played in New York regularly at the same time as Frank.

Last edited:

George Russell & His Orchestra – New York, N.Y.
View attachment 191808

Even more than Ol' Blue Eyes, I was pretty taken with New York, New York bit of the artwork and followed that train of thought to this station.
Last night I was watching the Times Square coverage for NYE and NY, NY kept playing. The Oracle Cards knew…!

Day 1: Frank Sinatra

🕶️everyone looks up to the guy behind the guy

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

IMG_7934.jpeg
IMG_7936.jpeg

Somehow, that quote immediately made me think of Sean Combs, though “looking up” wouldn’t be how I’d describe it, even before knowing what we know now. From what I’ve seen, he’s always been regarded as somewhat of a joke because of his mostly mediocre work as an artist in his own right & his constant name changes, though I feel that there was a certain amount of respect for him for discovering one of the greatest rappers of all time and the Bad Boy empire he’s built up in the 90s (even though it cratered in the new millennium).

Then again, I’m terrible at reading people & their perception of others, so y’all can take this with a grain of salt. :LOL:

Also, y’know, the “New York, New York” on the card too.

Last edited:
Our second Musical Oracle has been chosen!

January 2: Beyoncé

IMG_9042.jpeg

Beyoncé, born in Houston in 1981, is a globally renowned singer, actress, and producer. From her early success with Destiny's Child to a prolific solo career, she has consistently dominated the music charts. Beyond her musical achievements, Beyoncé is a cultural icon known for her impact on social justice causes and her contributions to film, solidifying her status as one of the most influential and versatile entertainers of her generation.

“Queen Bee” encapsulates all forms of pop music. Pick whatever album this oracle cards prompts for you - whether it be Beyoncè herself, or something else that gets your body Jumpin’ Jumpin’. If you’re not in a pop mood, pick an artist who started off in a band / group and eventually had a successful solo career. Or, choose your own adventure!

Last edited:
Day 1 - Frank Sinatra

0F111C83-E435-46AC-8037-95AB1E149780.jpeg

fun. - Aim and Ignite

“You only got one shot at life, so aim high” led me to this album. Not just for the title but for the song that inspired the title. The motivation to aim high but to also pull the trigger afterwards, you gotta aim and ignite

Back