Let The Music Oracles Speak: The January Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

January 27: Bob Dylan

IMG_9552.jpeg

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

🎵"If they follow you / Don't look back / Like Dylan in the movies..."🎵

1000097434.jpg

January 29: Prince

While I have this CD compilation I'm actually just going to listen to it via Spotify - it's just easier since I no longer have a multi-disc CD player.

While I heard Prince all the time growing up in the 80's with MTV, I can't say I was a huge fan. Sometime in late high school when I got my first turntable I picked up my copy of Purple Rain (still my only copy of it) - I believe I got this soon after.

Prince – The Hits / The B-Sides
Paisley Park/Warner Bros. Records – 9 45440-2, 1993

5ESsuSp.jpg

I had this on cassette when I was a kid - I forgot about it when I posted above.

I don't have it currently, but I did just order a copy from Amazon.

I had it on cassette as a kid too! My introduction to Prince. I have a decent copy on vinyl, but I do wanna get myself one of the newer issue at some point!

January 29: Prince
Do what you damn well please, but do it to your utmost.

This line made me think of Lemmy. I wasn't much of a fan of Motörhead growing up (Hawkwind was my jam though) but over the last few years I've come to enjoy their catalog. Lemmy was the dirty, no fuks given, rockstar who chain smoked, did hard drugs, and you can easily imagine how he must have smelled from the pictures. And I always liked this story on his Wikipedia page:

"He saw the Beatles perform at the Cavern Club in Liverpool when he was 16, and then learned to play along on guitar to their first album Please Please Me. He also admired the sarcastic attitude of the group, particularly that of John Lennon,[13] and later said of the group, "Brian Epstein cleaned them up for mass consumption, but they were anything but sissies. They were from Liverpool ... a hard, sea-farin' town, all these dockers and sailors around all the time who would beat the piss out of you if you so much as winked at them. ... The Rolling Stones were the mummy's boys—they were all college students from the outskirts of London. ... The Stones made great records, but they were always shit on stage, whereas the Beatles were the gear."[14]"

These deluxe anniversary sets they've been putting out are all fantastic so far. Today I'm going with Overkill.

I love Prince more but we've got that covered today 🔥

Screenshot_2024-01-29-11-56-41-38_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

January 30: Joni Mitchell

IMG_9655.jpg

Joni Mitchell
is a Canadian singer-songwriter and painter widely regarded as one of the most influential and innovative musicians of her generation. Emerging in the late 1960s, Mitchell's unique blend of folk, rock, and jazz elements set her apart in the music industry. Her intricate guitar work, poetic lyrics, and distinctive voice contributed to the creation of a body of work that resonates with authenticity and emotional depth. Mitchell's breakthrough album, "Blue" (1971), is often hailed as one of the greatest records of all time, showcasing her ability to convey raw emotion and vulnerability.

Mitchell's career spans decades, during which she released numerous critically acclaimed albums, such as "Court and Spark" (1974) and "Hejira" (1976). She received multiple Grammy Awards, including a Lifetime Achievement Award, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Beyond her musical achievements, Mitchell's impact extends to her influence on subsequent generations of artists. Her innovative approach to songwriting, genre-blurring musical style, and dedication to artistic expression have inspired countless musicians across genres, leaving an enduring legacy that transcends the boundaries of folk and rock music. Joni Mitchell's contributions to the world of music continue to be celebrated, and her work remains a source of inspiration for aspiring artists worldwide.

Out of all of the oracles thus far, I have listened to Joni Mitchell the least! So, this a good pull for me. Play something by Joni Mitchell, something by someone who was inspired by her, or another album that often regarded as "one of the greatest records of all time".

Day 29: Prince

🍾Never lose touch with your colorful side.

Prince & the Revolution - Around the World in a Day

IMG_8069.jpeg

An adjective that comes to mind whenever I think of psychedelia in music is “colourful”. And I’d say the psychedelic touches do bring a lot of colour to this album, makes it one of my absolute favourites from Prince!

January 30: Joni Mitchell

View attachment 194022

Joni Mitchell
is a Canadian singer-songwriter and painter widely regarded as one of the most influential and innovative musicians of her generation. Emerging in the late 1960s, Mitchell's unique blend of folk, rock, and jazz elements set her apart in the music industry. Her intricate guitar work, poetic lyrics, and distinctive voice contributed to the creation of a body of work that resonates with authenticity and emotional depth. Mitchell's breakthrough album, "Blue" (1971), is often hailed as one of the greatest records of all time, showcasing her ability to convey raw emotion and vulnerability.

Mitchell's career spans decades, during which she released numerous critically acclaimed albums, such as "Court and Spark" (1974) and "Hejira" (1976). She received multiple Grammy Awards, including a Lifetime Achievement Award, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Beyond her musical achievements, Mitchell's impact extends to her influence on subsequent generations of artists. Her innovative approach to songwriting, genre-blurring musical style, and dedication to artistic expression have inspired countless musicians across genres, leaving an enduring legacy that transcends the boundaries of folk and rock music. Joni Mitchell's contributions to the world of music continue to be celebrated, and her work remains a source of inspiration for aspiring artists worldwide.

Out of all of the oracles thus far, I have listened to Joni Mitchell the least! So, this a good pull for me. Play something by Joni Mitchell, something by someone who was inspired by her, or another album that often regarded as "one of the greatest records of all time".
Well shit, I should have played the Prince today... actually I have plenty of Joni and related to...

Back