Let The Music Oracles Speak: The January Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

Day 2: Beyoncé

🍾 “be both everywhere and nowhere at once”

Beyoncé - RENAISSANCE

View attachment 191884

One of the most famous & influential artists of the last 30 years, I hear her music & her name everywhere yet she’s more reclusive than most artists are these days (namely that she’s mostly inactive on social media & rarely gives interviews.

I’m trying not to go the easy or obvious route this month, but Queen Bey was one of the first artists I thought of when I saw that quote.
Easy and obvious is ok! For me, the oracle cards are all about whatever inspiration comes my way. Sometimes it is obvious - other times it is very tangential.

January 2: Beyoncè

Beyonce's bottle/lifestyle is "Be both everywhere and nowhere at once". Continuing with the secondary theme that seems to be appearing for today, wouldn't that be considered a:

Genesis ~ Invisible Touch

View attachment 191877
So I wonder where things head when @scotthilk drops that Phil Collins Card.
But I appreciate the genesis love.

January 2: Beyoncé
I went with Glen Hansard, who was in The Frames before his solo career. But also, leaning on the the "When someone sings from the heart, don't go tone deaf" prompt on the card. Glen definitely brings it from the heart.

IMG_6802.JPG

Last edited:
January 2: Beyoncé
I went with Glen Hansard, who was in The Frames before his solo career. But also, leaning on the the "When someone sings from the heart, do go tone deaf" prompt on the card. Glen definitely brings it from the heart.

View attachment 191916
I was not aware of The Frames so that is something I will be exploring.

January 1: Frank Sinatra

IMG_9040.jpg

Mr. Sinatra kicks our January challenge off! Frank Sinatra, known as "Ol' Blue Eyes," was a legendary American singer and actor who rose to fame during the mid-20th century. Renowned for his smooth voice and charismatic stage presence, Sinatra became a cultural icon and one of the best-selling music artists of all time. His contributions to the Great American Songbook and his influence on popular music have left an enduring legacy, making him a symbol of timeless musical elegance and sophistication.

A favorite of mine around dinnertime and starry evenings, Frank always sets a very particular mood. Pick whatever album this oracle cards prompts for you - whether it be Sinatra himself, an adjacent artist/genre, or anything else that transports you to bar in far Bombay!
IMG_4105.jpeg
Day 1: Bruce Springsteen - Springsteen on Broadway

From one NJ legend to another. And Sinatra is associated with New York as well, so this one seemed appropriate.

Also believe Frank was one to stand up when they said sit down.

Day 2 - Beyonce

7054EC4F-DECC-42FE-A9BD-36A370E6E490.jpeg

Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!

“Confidence can be the most powerful aphrodisiac”

Like much of Beyoncé’s music, Jessie ware finds power in her sexuality on this album. I love the way they both explore themes of being a mother and a sexual person in their music

The third Musical Oracle has been chosen!

January 3: Billie Holiday

IMG_9106.jpg

Billie Holiday
was an iconic American jazz and blues singer born on April 7, 1915, in Philadelphia. With her emotive and distinctive voice, she became one of the most influential jazz vocalists of the 20th century, renowned for her ability to convey deep emotion and vulnerability in her performances. Despite facing personal hardships and societal challenges, Holiday's enduring legacy includes timeless classics like "Strange Fruit" and a profound impact on the evolution of jazz music. Her vocal artistry, akin to a musical chiaroscuro, navigates the highs and lows of life, painting poignant musical portraits and leaving an indelible mark on the tapestry of jazz and blues.

The “Lady Who Sings The Blues” is a popular pick over round’ these here parts on quiet evenings by the fire. Pick whatever album this Oracle Card prompts for you - whether it be Billie herself, or another artist that gives you a “Good Morning Heartache”.

January 3: Billie Holiday
1704284943334.png

Since Billie surely will get her dues today, i,ll go with "sometimes losing beats winning" prompt for the card which for me is at the heart of many great punk records and one of the best punk rock bands in Germany with stellar lyrics is Muff Potter. They often deal with frustration, anger at society, being out of luck and money but always with the righteous anger directed at those that win in the capitalist rat race with the clear sentiment that they might lose but in this case " losing beats winning "

Day 3
IMG_5191.jpeg
Kadhja Bonet - Childqueen

When I think of Billie Holiday, I think of a singular voice, unique storytelling and the ability to build on and transcend genre.

Bonet is all of that as well. She employs her voice in a way that allows one to know it is her instantly, here she relays what it means to be a mother in an album length ode to its joys and struggles, and she works with in R&B but makes music that sounds familiar and other worldly all at the same time.

Edit - nifty that the prompt.instantly made me think of my next record in my collection play through. The oracle knows!

Last edited:
Back