Let The Music Oracles Speak: The January Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

January 1: Frank Sinatra
NDctNDA3MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Start of the year with some vmp Sinatra

January 2: Beyoncé
Ny03OTkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Using this prompt " if you’re not in a pop mood, pick an artist who started off in a band / group and eventually had a successful solo career."
from the Beyonce post for my selection. Peter Gabriel was in a little band before going solo called Genesis. I could have also gone for the solo record of another member ( but i don´t have a mike and the mechanics record)

January 2: Beyoncè

IMG_9101.jpeg

I grew up in the age of TRL and Carson Daly and these ladies were featured often! Mostly a nostalgia play for me here, and I’m not sure when else I would have spun it again.

Side note: I’m loving seeing everyone’s picks and Oracle inspirations / interpretations so far!

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! Hi! Hello! Happy New Year!

Welcome to the January 2024 Record Challenge thread. I am thrilled to be hosting this month. I’m a first-timer 'round these here parts, so bear with me. I have gone through probably twenty different versions of what I wanted to do this month and ultimately landed here. I hope you enjoy the prompts, themes, and fun in-between.

I have always enjoyed Oracle Cards. They have been a fun way for me to reflect and challenge myself. It often gets me thinking outside of my normal box and can help me gain insights, guidance, and inspiration. My wife gifted me this awesome set of Musical Oracle cards for Christmas. We have been picking one each day, and it has acted as a nice and fun way to start the day. I figured I could bring this idea into the thread in hopes that you get some joy out of it too.

The meat and potatoes of it all: Each day, I will post a Musical Oracle card for our prompt. I will randomly select one card a day. The chosen Musical Oracle will guide our listenings in various different ways.

How to play: Same as always - post a record (or CD/cassette/whatever suits you) that coincides with each prompt. Loose interpretations are fine. I want this to be fun and inspired, so I am trusting that each person will find their own meaning in the cards/prompts. Comments/write-ups/explanations are highly encouraged and will selfishly make this more fun for me. Try to play something someone else hasn't played!

The small symbols on each card symbolize the following:

Sunglasses = ATTITUDE
Bottle = LIFESTYLE
Music note = INSPIRATION

You can use these “symbols/keys” for inspiration, or, use the thoughts/prompts I offer with each post.

The fun: One lucky winner will win $50 cash money (Venmo, PayPal, Zelle, whatever) plus a pack of the Musical Oracle cards we used here. No other strings attached.

• For those of you who participate in all 31 days, you will be entered to win. *If no one makes all 31 days, I will use an alternative method to choose which rewards active and quality posts.

The “hat” will pick the winner at the end & draw will happen the morning of February 1st.

Due to the spirit of this idea, I am electing to NOT mass post all of the days at once. One day at a time.

OK - that’s enough fucking rules! Let’s get to the cards!
I just googled that card deck because they look so rad and now i'm relieved that we do not play with this deck
1704213623928.png

Day 2: Beyoncé

🍾be both everywhere and nowhere at once

Beyoncé - RENAISSANCE

IMG_7941.jpeg

One of the most famous & influential artists of the last 30 years, I hear her music & her name everywhere yet she’s more reclusive than most artists are these days (namely that she’s mostly inactive on social media & rarely gives interviews.

I’m trying not to go the easy or obvious route this month, but Queen Bey was one of the first artists I thought of when I saw that quote.

January 2: Beyoncé

Missy Elliott – Under Construction
20240102_111818.jpg

Confidence? ✔️
Everywhere and nowhere? ✔️
From the heart? ✔️
Game recognize game, and much like Queen B, Missy Elliott is and always has been a continuous groundbreaker on the scene, propelling hip hop and music videos ever toward new heights! She keeps it much more low key these days, but when she does drop something, people stop, look and listen. In addition, Beyoncé herself shows up to make fire with Missy on "Nothing Out There For Me."

Back