Let The Music Oracles Speak: The January Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

January 30: Joni Mitchell

Nice, the cards turned up one of my favorite artists. When I was a kid my mom listened to Court and Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns, so I've had nostalgia for a few of her songs. Then later in life, a good friend of mine got me into the live album Shadows and Light. He was a bass player and Jaco fan, so it made sense. That's when my fandom kind of started, and now I love most of her catalog for one reason or another.

@scotthilk Maybe stream Hejira or Shadows and Light, it might open it all up for you. If not, hey, not every person loves every thing. Or something like that...

IMG_6999.JPG

So perfect, I almost played this, and you'll see why if you read my post.
Cheers!

Dang, between my recommendations to @scotthilk and my actual spin for the day I hit your whole trinity — cool!

This is actually my first time with Shadows and Light (I wasn't able to play it all in one sitting, I'm just getting to the second disc now), I picked it up a few months back but hadn't spun it yet. It's fantastic!

I don't really have early memories of any specific Joni albums, but I do remember my mom singing "The Circle Game" to me at bedtime for most of my childhood. Otherwise I just remember knowing who she was and recognizing her and her voice. Mom got me her Hits CD when I was a teen, but it was in my mid twenties and mostly thanks to my "sort of but not really" sister a decade my junior that I really started to dig in. To the early stuff anyway — I still have a journey through her later stuff ahead of me, which I'd been discussing with @OMC a while back, and am really looking forward to!

January 30: Joni Mitchell

IMG_9655.jpg

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Food

Neko has cited Joni as an influence.

1000107355.jpg

And now.. our final Musical Oracle!

January 31: Ravi Shankar

IMG_9669.jpg

Ravi Shankar was an iconic Indian sitar virtuoso and composer who played a pivotal role in introducing classical Indian music to the world. Widely regarded as one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century, Shankar's early training began under the guidance of Allauddin Khan, a renowned sarod player. He later became a disciple of Khan and established himself as a prominent sitar player, blending traditional Indian ragas with a modern approach. Ravi Shankar's influence extended beyond his mastery of the sitar, as he collaborated with various Western musicians, most notably George Harrison of The Beatles. The association with Harrison during the 1960s not only contributed to the popularization of Indian classical music in the West but also earned Shankar widespread recognition and acclaim.

Ravi Shankar's legacy is characterized by his dedication to preserving and promoting the rich heritage of Indian classical music on a global scale. His contributions to the fusion of Eastern and Western musical traditions, evident in groundbreaking collaborations with artists like George Harrison and violinist Yehudi Menuhin, showcased the universality of music. Shankar's enduring impact on world music is also evident in his work as a cultural ambassador, helping to bridge cultural gaps and foster appreciation for Indian classical music worldwide. His numerous awards and honors, including multiple Grammy Awards and the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian award, underscore the profound impact he had on the global musical landscape. Ravi Shankar's legacy lives on through his extensive discography, his influential performances, and the continued inspiration he provides to musicians exploring the intersection of diverse musical traditions.

What a fun card to pull last... I am excited to see what everyone chooses today!

Day 31 (HEY Y’ALL I DID IT - it’s been a long time since I completed one of these and I don’t think I’ve ever done it without any catchup!!)
IMG_5408.jpeg
Phil Collins - Face Value

Tomorrow Never Knows is a cover of an Indian inspired Beatles tune. It also features Lakshminarayana Shankar on violin.

This was a discovery from @Lee Newman's thread that I absolutely loved. I picked up a copy on vinyl but it doesn't sound that great and needs a repress so I can get a clean copy without spending a fortune. And I'm on campus today, so streaming it is. Ananda blends Indian and Western music to make this incredible album. Thanks for a great month, @scotthilk! First one I've been able to finish in a while.

Ananda Shankar
Screenshot_2024-01-31-08-33-57-06_04e03425392fc155c003bf4da0c67f74.jpg

Ah! Here we are on our last day! I will post a "Wrap it up" post later or tomorrow. In the meantime, make sure you've read this and checked the spreadsheet!

The fun: One lucky winner will win $50 cash money (Venmo, PayPal, Zelle, whatever) plus a pack of the Musical Oracle cards we used here. No other strings attached.

• For those of you who participate in all 31 days, you will be entered to win. *If no one makes all 31 days, I will use an alternative method to choose which rewards active and quality posts.

The “hat” will pick the winner at the end & draw will happen the afternoon of February 1st. So - play as much catch up as you need to! However, tallies will take place the afternoon of Feb 1st.

1/3/2024 Update: So far, 17 people have played.. I did not expect this many! I can assure you that we will have some additional prizes and fun at the end.

Thievery Corporation "The Mirror Conspiracy"
(2000 Eighteenth Street Lounge)
There's a sitar on Lebanese Blonde. Also, when I saw them live way back when, they had a sitar guy sitting on a rug on top of dais front stage left and he played on most of the tracks. And this record is hitting the spot right now.

IMG_0853.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this @scotthilk ! Always fun to have new people joining the challenge and organizing. This was a pretty fun month! Hope you stick around and continue to play along with us.

So this is what my selections ended looking like this month. I ended up self-imposing a meta-challenge after noticing that my first four plays were by women. So the entire month features albums by female vocalists - or at least non-male vocalists - or that include tracks with female vocalists. This was pretty tough to shoe-horn into the challenges at times, but I managed.

chart (8).png

When searching my collection for "Ravi Shankar", this is the only thing that has him credited.

This soundtrack could have been used a few different times this month, there are at least 3 that can be seen on the image of the label.

Various – Natural Born Killers - Music From And Inspired By Natural Born Killers - An Oliver Stone Film
Music On Vinyl – MOVATM012, 1994/2014

Red w/ Black Smoke variant, numbered/limited to 2000, #620

Pressed at Record Industry

UNOgr9J.jpg

8B4GaTl.jpg

He is credited for co-writing this song -

Excellent choice for today, been meaning to revisit to this one for a while. While Ravi doesn't play on this album, as the prompt notes his influence is all over it.

And thanks for running the month @scotthilk and joining in the fun. That was a great take on the challenge thread.

George Harrison ~ All Things Must Pass

IMG_5695.jpeg

Back