June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Day 6: Adrenaline

"Walk" was on the radio the other day as I was driving to work...perfect song to get my pumped up for a 12 hour shift.

Pantera ‎– Vulgar Display Of Power
ATCO Records / Rhino Records ‎– R1 91758, 1992/2010

Cut at The Mastering Lab
Pressed at Rainbo

i8P9c9.jpg

MyNQQF.jpg

Sunday (07) – Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa

Angelique Kidjo "Remain in light"

She is a singer songwriter born in Benin. This is her interpretation of the same titled album by the Talking Heads. I remember when I first streamed her album I was blown away. It's absolutely amazing. 💜

IMG_20200605_183539.jpg

Day 6: Adrenaline

"Walk" was on the radio the other day as I was driving to work...perfect song to get my pumped up for a 12 hour shift.

Pantera ‎– Vulgar Display Of Power
ATCO Records / Rhino Records ‎– R1 91758, 1992/2010

Cut at The Mastering Lab
Pressed at Rainbo

i8P9c9.jpg

MyNQQF.jpg
This was ALMOST my pick, but I felt weird spinning it in the early AM while working.

Day 7 - Africa

Orchestre Bawobab - Visage du Senegaal

I wasn't quite sure what to play today. Originally I thought I'd play the next African record in my play-through but it's a compilation. Then maybe my favourite. Finally, I went for a favourite but also what Discogs denotes is my single most valuable record - it's the rarest of Baobab's discography and contains their most danceable track. My record is in amazing condition, not so much the cover but I don't care. Most importantly, it's utterly wonderful - Senegalese/West African/music at its best.

20200607_085718.jpg

Day 7 - Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa

William Onyeabor - Body & Soul (Wilsfilm Records, 1980 First Pressing)

I will take any excuse to listen to a William Onyeabor record! Its really quite difficult to describe his music, its the funkiest most over-the top bunch of sounds you will ever hear, and it just works! Its fair to say he was somewhat of a mystery before the 2013 Luaka Bop compilation (which also led to a reissue series and documentary), and to be honest perhaps even more questions have arisen since. Onyeabor travelled around Europe to learn about the recording industry and travelled to Russia to learn cinematography, before returning to his hometown (a small town in Nigeria) and setting up his own business and studio. He released lots of records during the 1970's and 1980's, before becoming religious, refusing to ever record funk again, and he became a recluse and rarely left his house. This album, 'Body And Soul', is one of the tricker and pricier first presses of his. While the sleeve is battered, the record is perfection without so much as a pop or hiss (pretty rare in these African records). To go with this I have also shared my William Onyeabor collection, which consists of the first box set from Luaka Bop (there's a second I will no doubt get one day) and a few first presses I have picked up over the years.

IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG

Still need to play a record for yesterday, but this jumped out at me this morning and well, it’s definitely on theme.

day 7: the cradle

if you aren’t aware, in 2010 Bela Foeck released an album entitled Throw Down Your Heart. It was recorded on a journey to Africa as he sought the origins of the banjo. This album was recorded in Seattle. Fleck had wanted to meet up with Diabate during his trip. However, it wasn’t in the cards. The Afrifican musician did contribute to that album, but then they met at a festival and toured as a duo after hitting it off. It was released in conjunction with the 10th anniversary of Throw Down Your Heart as a third chapter in the album cycle.

17C4DD10-DD7D-4405-A144-9621FAA7A45E.jpeg
Bela Fleck and Toumani Diabate - Ripple Effect

Back