June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Oh dear god, he really said trump is the greatest friend to minorities, lol what a joke, glad to see Serj call him out for the BS but still a bit sickening to learn about
Agreed. Who’d a thought members of Nirvana & System of A Down would give Trump kudos? It’s been a weird week.

Still catching up

DAY 4 - HOMETOWN HEROES

IMG_20200607_213611.jpg

Connecticut is still proud to have this band as ours. For fans of early 00's "emo" or whatever Vagrant Records would have called it... I think it fits nicely in collections of people who like Superchunk, Pixies, The Cars, and Sugar.

DAY 5 - CHILLLLLLLLLLLL

IMG_20200607_213732.jpg

There may have been days I would have chosen Cornelius or Lightning Bolt or Aphex Twin, but I have been meaning to pull this out again and it more than fits.

Monday (08) – Any kind of Jazz

Bob Brookmeyer "Kansas City Revisited"

This is an album by jazz trombonist and arranger Bob Brookmeyer featuring Brookmeyer's new orchestrations of 1920s and '30s era Kansas City jazz tunes. The album was recorded in 1958. It features Al Cohn and Paul Quinichette on saxophone, Nat Pierce on piano, Jim Hall on guitar, Addison Farmer on bass and Osie Johnson on drums, and singer Big Miller on one song. I've just bought it recently and it's pretty good. ❤️

IMG_20200605_090109.jpg

Day 7: Africa

Various ‎– Afro-American

Follett Publishing Company ‎– XL 11, 1974

4 LP Box set from "The World Of Popular Music" series. This record set was to be used in a school setting to teach music from around the world. The music of various ethnic groups and instruments from Africa along some contemporary soul, jazz, and blues snippets.

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

3xkAGh.jpg

ECyXjQ.jpg

kfQ8U5.jpg

27xE08.jpg

t1xxHm.jpg

Day 3 - You First Encounter With Music

The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks

Most people are raised around music. Either hearing it played in their household, from older siblings, or singing in church or at birthday parties. Music is as much a part of the human experience as eating and sleeping, in most cultures. With that said, it’s impossible for me to know or remember the first time music was brought into my life, but I do very distinctly remember the first time I chose it for myself and noticed something on my own that wasn’t fed to me through my grandmothers old technics stereo.

There was a new Television show broadcasting sometime when I was around 8 years old about the Vietnam War and what happened to the men and women while over there. I believe it was called Tour of Duty, but I can’t quite recall if it was a straight drama or a “dramedy” like M*A*S*H or what. What I do remember was sitting on my Grandparents floor the first time it aired and hearing this sombre, almost haunting, guitar tune playing during the opening credits. I hummed that tune in my head while out in the backyard playing G.I. Joe for weeks not knowing it as anything other than the intro to a tv show. A few weeks went by and we were at the grandparents again, and the show came on again, and I told my grandma that I liked the song. She seemed oddly interested and kept asking me what I liked about it. Told me it was by some band called Rolling Stones and that it was a real song called Paint It Black.

Next time I saw my grandma she had a new tape for me, Through the Past Darkly : Big Hits Vol. 2. She told me to listen to it and let her know what I think. I’d like to say I was an instant fan and was the only 8 yr-old on the block repping a Stones tee, but I remember listening and telling her the “guy can’t sing” after hearing Ruby Tuesday. Haha.

I played the absolute shit out of Paint It Black on that old cassette, though.

C2B6A3D4-6374-4658-BE8A-2957C88C6751.jpeg

Monday (08) – Any kind of Jazz

Nubya Garcia ‎– Nubya's 5ive
IMG_20200608_075647.jpg

Great modern jazz label! The 5ive series is excellent. Also check out Seed Ensemble – Driftglass.

Back