June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

blissfullychaotic

Come one, come all, and welcome to the June 2020 Challenge thread.

@Fleetwood-Matt put together one hell of a fun challenge and introduced a cool concept to share the N&G love and I am excited to continue the trend.

There are some twists to the rules and if there are any questions/concerns don't hesitate to reach out.

Google Spreadsheet Challenge Tracker

The "rules"
  • Even though there is a prize, it's not based off anything other than posting each day. I wont be judging on how well it fits the theme or anything like that
  • Interpret each topic in your own way.
  • There will be two raffles
    • 1) Everyone who posts a record for all 30days will have their name included in an end of the month drawing
    • 2) Everyone who posts a *unique* record for all 30day will have their name included in the additional
    • Check the Prize section for more information
  • Catch up if you miss some days.
  • Stories and reasoning for your picks are fun to read but don't feel like you have to, just be yourself.
THE PRIZE

There will be two drawings, if you post all 30days and post post a *unique* record for that day you will have the chance to be included in both drawings! (I count unique as the first person to post the record for that day), anyone who posts the same record after that will be deemed a duplicate and have their name removed from the second drawing.

To showcase the excellent selections of the N&G family, each winner will have the ability to select one of the N&G AOTM's they would love to have in their collection. If you already have all the N&G picks or your pick can't be purchases we will figure something out

Edit ***
#theshowmustbepaused
On June 2nd please show solidarity and hold all posts for that day until at least June 3rd
This is being done to show solidarity with the music community, there are several interpretations on how to handle this blackout.
Some consider us social media, some consider us a community, act in judgement with however you feel and please feel comfortable to connect with us or don't.
Be Yourself and hope everyone can take a minute to do a retrospective.

On top of that any $donations to a charity you would like to support during these crazy times will give you the chance to enter you into an additional exclusive third drawing, the charity drawing, which will only be available to those who donate to a charity at any time during the month of June. (Minimum $1 donation)

Not sure where to donate, here is where our community have donated to thus far:
- Louisville Community Bail Fund
- Justice for David Dungay Junior organized by Leetona Rose Dungay
- Therapy for Black Girls,

THE THEMES

Mondays – Genre Days (this is an intentional easy day to help ease those Monday Blues)
Tuesday – The beauty of ART days
Wednesday – The Circle of Life days
Thursday – Hype Days
Friday – Vice Days
Saturday – Unique/Special Holidays
Sunday – International Days (if you don’t have a record from that area, play something from outside your current country.)

Week 1: 1-7
Monday (01) – Any Kind of Rock
Tuesday (02) – Etchings, instead of showing off that vinyl that’s spinning, show off your favorite vinyl that has an etching on it
Wednesday (03) – Childhood: Your first encounter with music.
Thursday (04) – Hype up an Artist that comes from a city/state/country you are or have lived.
Friday (05) – Marijuana – play a record that makes you chill bro
Saturday (06) – D-Day, play a record that gets your adrenaline going
Sunday (07) – Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa

Week 2: 8-14
Monday (08) – Any kind of Jazz
Tuesday (09) – Gatefold Art, while the cover can be beautiful, let’s see the art inside that Gatefold
Wednesday (10) – Puberty – gosh parents, your music sucks, did you rebel? Play an album that takes you back to those teenage years.
Thursday (11) – Hype up a bassist or keyboardist that doesn’t get enough credit
Friday (12) – Cocaine – play something fast and short
Saturday (13) – National Weed Your Garden Day, play something you listen to while cleaning
Sunday (14) – Middle East, play a record that highlights music from the Middle East

Week 3: 15-21
Monday (15) – Any kind of Electronic
Tuesday (16) – Prints, get your prints, what is a piece of art that came with your record that you want to show off
Wednesday (17) – Older Adolescent: Ahh college and the introduction to godspeed, how did your tastes change.
Thursday (18) – Hype up an *artist* that created some art for a band you love.
Friday (19) – Ecstasy - play something that makes you wanna love everyone
Saturday (20) – Covid Record Store Day – play an RSD release or an artist that you would’ve supported today
Sunday (21) – Asia, play a record from an artist that hails from Asia

Week 4: 22-28
Monday (22) – Your Personal Favorite Genre day
Tuesday (23) – Wear your art on your sleeve, some records come with some cool record sleeves, let’s see your most unique one
Wednesday (24) – Adulthood: Tastes are refined, do you still listen to the same things or have they changed, play something you currently are enjoying
Thursday (25) – Hype up a record label that you think deserves some attention
Friday (26) – Acid - Let’s go on a Psychedelic Journey
Saturday (27) – National Onion Day, play an album that makes you cry
Sunday (28) – South America, play a record that highlights music from South America

Week 5: 29-30
Monday (29) – It’s Party time, if you could have your life summed up or represented by one album, which album would that be?
Tuesday (30) – Art is about creativity, imagination, it’s unique to each person. Play an album that brings out your creative side.

Last edited:
So...why can't we post the June 2nd record on June 2nd?

#theshowmustbepaused isn't about not listening to music - it is essentially a walk-out protest for the industry and I think that playing music that day connects us with our community here.

(as I'm working, I'll be posting on the 3rd anyway)

Last edited:
So...why can't we post the June 2nd record on June 2nd?

#theshowmustbepaused isn't about not listening to music - it is essentially a walk-out protest for the industry and I think that playing music that day connects us with our community here.

(as I'm working, I'll be posting on the 3rd anyway)

That's a great question and maybe I misinterpreted the blackout 🤔

Let's go...

A two-fer - rock and roll.

Jenny said when she was just five years old, you know there's nothing happening at all.
Every time she put on the radio, there was nothing going down at all. Not at all.
One fine morning she puts on a New York station and she couldn't believe what she heard at all.
She started dancing to that fine fine fine fine music. Woo, her life was saved by rock and roll.
Hey baby, rock and roll.
Despite all the amputations, you could dance to a rock and roll station and it was alright.
It was alright.

The guitar work by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner in this song is just ridiculous. Prakash John's bass in the breakdown - sublime. And Lou's off the charts.

This record should be in every collection.

Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal

20191027_004827.jpg

Last edited:

I'm happy that the challenge continues this month. Thanks to @blissfullychaotic for hosting this. ❤️👍

So for today I've decided to play some AC/ DC, it's "Rock or bust". I haven't played that particular record in a while. It has a lenticular cover. Looks cool. 😎

A great month of June to everyone 🎶

IMG_20200601_082250.jpg

IMG_20200601_082224.jpg

Back