June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Day 04 - Hype up an Artist that comes from a city/state/country you are or have lived
Orquesta Típica Fernández Fierro - Ahora Y Siempre (2018)

View attachment 50622

I'm from Buenos Aires, and nothing is more porteño than tango. La Fernandez Fierro is the biggest tango orchestra nowadays; they even have their own theater where new tango musicians go to play. If you wanna know what is tango like in the XXI century, this is the band to check.
Just added this to my “to listen” playlist!

Some SERIOUS fire in this thread!!

Day 6: D-Day
Robbie Fulks & Linda Gail Lewis
Wild! Wild! Wild!
Robbie Fulks and The Killer’s little sister whoop it up with some rocking Country, Blues and Honky Tonk.View attachment 50643
Robbie Fulks is so great. If people don't know him, check out the youtube videos where he plays the top 10 of each year. Pretty great and hilarious!

Day 5: Don't mind if I do

Recently I've been listening to a lot of the Third Mind, Garcia Peoples, and Chris Forsyth while indulging, but since I don't have any of that on vinyl yet, this will do just fine...

Sundays & Cybele - Gypsy House

View attachment 50638
Love this LP. Also, love Garcia Peoples. I have their first two LPs on wax but haven’t dug into their most recent which I think is like just one long piece of music. I need to give it a go.

My favourite of theirs. Saw them on this tour with Voxtrot!

That was the only time I've been to Coachella, back when they sold 1 day passes. Saw Noisettes, Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings, Arctic Monkeys, Jesus & Mary Chain, and Bjork. Was a great day. I remember the Arctic Monkeys part as it turned into a european festival. All these flags came out of nowhere.

Day 4 - Local Talent!

This band's from Ottawa, while not entirely close to where I grew up they are indeed an Ontario band! I saw them play a show in Peterborough when I was in Highschool, really fun time and introduced me to how amazing live music is! This is one of my brothers favorite records, so I'm spinning this one for him!

Hollerado - Record In A Bag

IMG_20200606_172456_036.jpg

Anyway, catching up
Day 3 - Childhood
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces
Not so much this album but the music video for Accidents Will Happen is a really early memory. Great video still and don’t know what about it stayed implanted in my mind but fuck knows. Maybe my interest in animation but lovely link with pop art and Barney Bubbles own Elvis covers. I also found a story I wrote when I was about 7 about a Werewolf who went to see David Bow-Wow-ie so I guess I was always a fan.
But here’s Armed Forces and the Accidents Will Happen video

968D8952-9206-4784-92EB-32A1A8AC80A4.jpeg

Day 4 - Local hero

Lots of albums I could pick from this guy but I’m going with the one I think is his best studio album. St Dominic’s Preview - Van Morrison

Van was actually my first concert, went with my uncle Gerard. He was awesome. This album is pretty perfect, though funnily the song that might push this into the uber classic league is the most throwaway, wonderful Redwood Tree. Just joyous music. I said best studio album as It’s Too Late To Stop Now is maybe my favourite Van album, but at 1:15 in the morning It’s Too Late To Start Now for a double live album

1CB33B88-CE8A-4FA0-959A-E89111CBA0FE.jpeg

I was going to post these catchups yesterday, but with the picture embargo notification on top I decided to wait.

DAY 2 - ETCHING

IMG_20200606_200849.jpgIMG_20200606_200922.jpg

I bought this record on a whim having never heard a note from this group in February of 2002. It was sitting there in my favorite record store in Connecticut, Trash American Style, and something about it just intrigued me.
It wasn't rare that I would buy an electronic record, I just didn't realize I was buying one when I did. Considering at the time I was listening to a lot of hardcore and jazz, I was unprepared for this. Wait, scratch that... I was unprepared for just how much I was going to love this album.
Size 6 was an etching, as I am now over explaining because there is a picture above.

DAY 3 - CHILDHOOD

IMG_20200606_201107.jpg

From the time I was born until I was three, I lived with my parents in an apartment in the Flushing neighborhood of Queens New York. Music was always happening in the house from what I remember, though it wasn't until later that I came to fully realize what was happening: my parents were bedroom artists and they collaborated with two of their friends on composing songs and doing 4-track audio recordings.
To explain what the songs sounded like, it really depended on who was writing it or was in charge of the song. There are four albums that whenever I hear them I think of my parents and the recordings that they made:

1. Joan Jett, I Love Rock & Roll
2. Linda Rondstadt, Heart Like a Wheel
3. Russ Ballard, Winning
4. My pick for the day's challenge

Back