June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Sunday (07) – Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa

Madlib - Beat Konducta in Africa

Beat Konducta in Africa is an instrumental hip-hop album produced & mixed with Madlib, featuring J. Rocc. This album bases itself on the obscure vinyl gems from the afro-beat, funk, psych-rock, garage-rock & soul movements of African countries as diverse as Zambia, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Ghana, Botswana and Ivory Coast.

0674C43E-8C9A-466D-B8FD-D3DB7821C317.jpeg

Flight To Brazil gets a lot of love, but this mix is amazing too!

Day 7: Africa - Play music that highlights music from the continent of Africa

Mickey Hart's side projects from the Dead always highlight some amazing musicians from around the world, including Africa. This one's no different, although a little more vocal heavy than his other releases.

Mickey Hart ~ RAMU (2018 RSD Version)

IMG_7328.jpg

Day 7: Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa
Charly Kingston - Born In Africa
CCB2D211-1825-4E85-ABDB-1A6ABC4771D8.jpeg

Africa is at the heart of all popular music that I love, Jazz, Blues, Funk, Soul, R&B, Country & Western, Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic, etc... all owe an immense debt to both the people and and music that rose from the cradle of humanity. All that to say, I have only recently over the past couple years started to explore the wondrous world of Afrobeat music. It started initially with Fela and William Onyeabor but it is such a rich and diverse history that I couldn’t help falling further down this rabbit hole. I figured I would pick something slightly more obscure (but no less funky) than some of the more renowned heavy hitters.

Sunday (07) – Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa

Songhoy Blues - Résistance

Pretty fitting choice today, as we just got back from a peaceful protest in our small town.

"Songhoy Blues has always been about resistance. We started this group during a civil war, in the face of a music ban, to create something positive out of adversity. As long as we have music left in us and something to say, we'll keep fighting each day with music as our weapon, our songs as our resistance."

20200607_141724.jpg

20200607_131529.jpg

Day 7: I took me a trip to Africa....

535D3352-7D72-49E8-B974-FF8A53C42A20.jpeg

Blackfoot "Millie"

I remember being at a friend's house and he pointed to this record and said that I need this in my life! About a year or so later I was in my local shop and I saw it, didn't hesitate at copping it, took it home and he was right! Really love this record!

Day 7 - Africa, play a record that highlights music from the continent of Africa

Fela and Afrika 70 - Zombie

Maybe this scathing title track comparing them to zombies that made Nigerian soldiers so mad they attacked a commune is relevant this week. Just maybe.

IMG_20200607_170111 (1).jpg

Back