June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 15: Hair-Raising

So many great directors have a good ear to place the perfect track in the perfect spot...Scorsese, Tarantino, Fincher, Anderson, Wright....there's a lot of others. The uses of diegetic music (where the characters in the movie would hear the music) or extradiegetic (where they don't...like in a montage) can make a difference in how it works in a scene.

One that comes to mind is the use of Hurdy Gurdy Man in the movie Zodiac....it's starts off as diegetic, playing on the radio in the car, but as the scene unfolds, it becomes non-diegetic.

Various ‎– Zodiac (Songs From The Motion Picture)
Phineas Atwood ‎– none, 2007/2017

Cut by Dave Polster at Well Made Music

rkGGwg.jpg

8TANPH.jpg

Day 12/13 Catchup:

So back when I was 14 years old, I was on my high school's freshman basketball team. It ended up being my only year playing basketball and Ironman was THE album everyone talked about at school. So, of course, I had a dub of the cd that I would play on my walkman on my way to away games to get hyped up. Black Jesus was probably my standout get hype song.

I don't have a unique album for Day 13... I mentioned how I felt lucky to find such a cool find at a Goodwill for my Day 5 catchup post with the Milton Nascimento record. I forgot the story behind my Ironman LP. I ordered the GetOnDown reissue of the gold cd set with the jigsaw puzzle and they accidentally sent me the upgraded tier that also included the vinyl! I don't know why I kept it at the time, but I'm glad I did.

20190615_150304.jpg

Day 15 - Hair-Raising

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

This soundtrack is damn near perfect (YMMV). I absolutely love Jose Gonzalez, but the album also includes David Bowie, Jack Johnson, Of Monsters and Men, Junip and others. Each song seems perfectly placed in the film, and resonated with me at the time of its release as I was in the midst of taking the biggest career gamble of my life and moving my family to another country. Since then, and now knowing the eventual outcome of that endeavor, the album has actually taken on more meaning as a snapshot in time of my life.

My wife knew how much I loved this album and how nearly impossible it is to find for a reasonable price. One year ago, almost exact to the day, she and my daughter surprised me with a sealed copy they tracked down on their own for Father’s Day. Coolest present and effort ever.

Last edited:
Day 14 Catchup: I wasn't sure how I was going to integrate flag day into my collection. I dont really have any songs about the country/flag or any covers with that kind of iconography. But I remembered the visuals in the music videos for GZA's Liquid Swords, particularly this one:

I thought that fits the bill pretty well.

20190615_201121.jpg

Day 15: I won't say that the melding of music and visual is necessarily hair raising, but it's a perfect marriage of music and design. Katamari Damacy was one of the first video games exhibited in MoMa.

The premise of the game is that you're the Prince of all Comos and you have to roll up balls that collect larger and larger terrestrial objects to beam up to space to replace missing celestial objects that the King of all Cosmos destroyed on a bender. The art direction is really cool and the Jpop/Jazz fusion soundtrack fits this bonkers game perfectly.

20190615_220823.jpg

Day 16: Father's Day: Elliott Smith - XO

I wouldn't have gotten into this whole vinyl mess if it hadn't been for my dad. There was music playing constantly in our house growing up, particularly the Beatles, the Kinks, Rolling Stones, Neil Young (you know, typical dad stuff). One year during college, I had forgotten to buy him a birthday gift and quickly picked up Elliott Smith's XO for him, thinking maybe he'd like it. In fact, he loved it and devoured it, especially since he felt the songwriting and harmonies were very Beatlesque. Years later, when I moved to the UK, he would send me very cryptic emails that I later realized were lines from Elliott Smith songs that he was enjoying (which, given Elliott Smith's typical lyrical content, could be quite disturbing without some context). He passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in his sleep the year after I returned to the United States. He used to drive to the train station to ride in to work, so the week after he passed, I went to pick up his car. Sure enough, the CD that turned on when I started the car was Elliott Smith's XO. And I just broke down.

6E14BA50-85BC-4592-BE87-DF99BAA0771F.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 16 - Yes, It's Fathers Day
I'm a father and a son, but let's not limit it to just that today.
Play something for someone in your life, male or female, that you admire. A mentor, teacher, grandparent etc.
And by all means play something for pops if you want to!

Playing something my dad gave me from his collection today, he says this album has some of his favorite album art of all time:
The Cars - Heartbeat City
IMG_2220.jpeg

Back