June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 14 - Flag Day
I still don't know if my wife is kidding when she says Flag Day is one of her favorite holidays. What does one do on Flag Day?
Play a record reflecting however you would celebrate Flag Day. Or, just play something random if the topic hurts your brain.

Decided to celebrate Flag Day with some lovely indie folk

Fort Vine - Stay Magical
IMG_2215.jpeg

Day 12: Makes Me Remember...

Years before an iPod would have been awesome, I had a bunch of CD's recorded onto cassettes to use when I would have to mow the yard. My parents owned a funeral home that was next door, so between that and the house, and a storage garage lot down the street, a riding John Deere mower was used. A CD Walkman just didn't work and sound quality wasn't too important to me so I could fit a couple albums on one long tape. This is on album that I remember having dubbed over, along with Purple. Helmet - Meantime was another.

I spent many summers playing these tapes. I have no idea what happened to them.

Stone Temple Pilots ‎– Core
Atlantic/Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP833, 1992/2013

Limited/ Numbered to 2500, #0630

Pressed at Record Industry

8EnJXT.jpg

WwulDX.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8/9 Catchup: Sure, its only one regular length album, but he decided to put it on 4 10" discs, so I'm counting it, dammit. Also, its future jazzy type music, right?

Anyway, I'm counting it for both days cause it's all i got right now, alright? Besides, changing the sides on this also counts as workout.

20190613_191337.jpg

Day 12: Makes Me Remember...

Years before an iPod would have been awesome, I had a bunch of CD's recorded onto cassettes to use when I would have to mow the yard. My parents owned a funeral home that was next door, so between that and the house, and a storage garage lot down the street, a riding John Deere mower was used. A CD Walkman just didn't work and sound quality wasn't too important to me so I could fit a couple albums on one long tape. This is on album that I remember having dubbed over, along with Purple. Helmet - Meantime was another.

I spent many summers playing these tapes. I have no idea what happened to them.

Stone Temple Pilots ‎– Core
Atlantic/Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP833, 1992/2013

Limited/ Numbered to 2500, #0630

Pressed at Record Industry

8EnJXT.jpg

WwulDX.jpg

Nice! My lawn mowing album was Tom Waits - Rain Dogs. It actually seems weird for me to hear that album without also hearing a motor in the background

Day 11 Catchup: I was so excited that this was the RHH album last month. Luchini, the track people would remember from this LP, is a song designed to be played loudly. But to me, the Krystal Karrington is the perfect song to kick it all off, cranked all the way up, of course.

Baby's sleep and wife is sick, so loud = headphones for me.20190614_223609.jpg

Nice! My lawn mowing album was Tom Waits - Rain Dogs. It actually seems weird for me to hear that album without also hearing a motor in the background

It would be a couple of years before I would get Tom Waits. I was unfortunate to be in a culturally restrictive area where music wasn't thought of as a big deal. Musicland in the mall was mostly Country and Nascar type rock.

It would be a couple of years before I would get Tom Waits. I was unfortunate to be in a culturally restrictive area where music wasn't thought of as a big deal. Musicland in the mall was mostly Country and Nascar type rock.

Oh yeah, Rain Dogs would have been later for me, probably my senior year of high school when I first heard that. I always listened to music mowing before that (probably similar alternative stuff), but Rain Dogs is the one that became my go to.

I was somewhat lucky where I grew up in Wisconsin because we got both Milwaukee and Chicago radio stations. There was always at least one great alternative and one great hip hop station in each city in the late 90s/early 00s.

Day 13: Lucky.

I consider most used purchases as random...or lucky. So I'm going with a release I bought new-in-store. I'm sure most of you know this story, but I randomly found this for sale back when it was released at a Mall in Southern Illinois (Marion). I was expecting the album to come out soon, but didn't know it was released on vinyl 2 weeks before the CD was released, so it was odd seeing the one copy on the shelf - odd to see a new vinyl release in 1996 and odd that this NRM Music was even carrying it.

One of the first times that I appreciated having a turntable...my dorm room was rocking for the next few days.

Had I not seen it that day to buy I probably wouldn't own it at all....maybe a counterfeit or something.

Also....I can't wait for their new album - and wish they would reissue all of their work on vinyl as they could use some TLC and/or legit pressings.

Tool ‎– Ænima
Zoo Entertainment/BMG ‎– 72445 11087 1, 1996

Original 1st pressing

xJelLt.jpg

LwJjgm.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Rain Dogs would have been later for me, probably my senior year of high school when I first heard that. I always listened to music mowing before that (probably similar alternative stuff), but Rain Dogs is the one that became my go to.

I was somewhat lucky where I grew up in Wisconsin because we got both Milwaukee and Chicago radio stations. There was always at least one great alternative and one great hip hop station in each city in the late 90s/early 00s.

I was introduced to better music for the most part later in High School, too. A friend of my brother had a pretty decent record collection with various punk, prog and various other genres one can't really get into in Quincy, Ill. We drove to record stores in St. Louis where he was from many times. He's was definitely my original influence to getting into vinyl.

Day 13 - Lucky

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

I was at a record show and I won a raffle for 20 bucks to be spent at any vendor's table. Even though I already had a handful of records, it only made sense that the awarded stipend be used for another record. So I grabbed this 2016 Parlophone reissue.

Screenshot_20190615-120026.jpg

Day 14 - Flag Day!

Aaron Copland - Morton Gould with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra: Dance Symphony - Spirituals for Orchestra

My wife likes Flag Day and Copland plus this kind of features the American flag so it just all made sense.
I was hoping to post her flag day present but it's a day late.

20190615_124536.jpg

Back