June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 16 - Father's Day

Shoutout to the man who when I was a kid, would make me and my siblings to spend our Saturdays with him CD and record store hopping whenever he was in town. And who years later, despite us not having the closest relationship, immediately drove across two states to see me in the hospital after I got into an accident, walked around my apartment and asked, "So you don't have anything in here that plays real music?" then showed back up two weeks later with what would be my first record player. Playing something from one of his favorite artists today.

Jimi Hendrix - Both Sides of the Sky

Day 16 - Fatherly

Wilco - Being There

I'll follow the lead of @LeeVing
My son was born in 1996 so I'll go with an album from that year. Being There is a fantastic album, and What's the World Got in Store? is an apt question as he prepares to graduate with his bachelor's degree this year. As a guy who never went to college, this makes me as proud as I've ever been.

20190616_142030.jpg

Day 16 - Fathers Day

20190616_213659.jpg

Taylor Swift - Fearless

My dad is a HUGE classic rock aficionado, so I could have pick pretty much any record from the 60/70/80s in honor of him... but he is also a taylor swift stan and considers "Love Story" to be one of his favorite songs of all time

Day 16- Father’s Day

This is a gift I received today. This has been pretty much out of print forever. O’Shea played a self made dulcimer of sorts &was primarily a busker. Members of The The & Wire convinced him to record this on Wire’s art rock collective label in the early 80’s. It’s equal part ambient & darkly ethereal. Anyone into weird stuff, check it out.

2A0A9448-E951-4B79-876D-3B0510F42EEA.jpeg

Day 17: if they're in town, go check them out!
Broken social scene ~ forgiveness rock record

IMG_20190617_173653.jpg

The only time I saw this group was when they came to Dallas in support of this record. The show was full of energy and the stage full of talent , I'll never forget that show and I hope they go on your again soon

Day 17 - You Gotta See These Guys!
Play a record by an artist or band that puts on a great live show. (This doesn't necessarily mean play a live album)

Got to see The National live for the first time back in September. it was very rainy and we were very far away but it was still worth it. Hoping next time to see them a little closer to the stage.

The National - Boxer (Live in Brussels)
IMG_2221.jpeg

Day 17 - Live Band

Phish - Hoist

One of those bands that unquestionably made their name via live shows over recorded output or radio airplay. I saw them a bunch in the 90s but haven't really been that into them since then. I did get a lot out of those shows I saw, great memories and music.

Screenshot_20190617-200110.jpg

Day 12 - Those Were the Days

Tool - Opiate

Still remember picking this up at Tower Records Eastport Plaza in Portland. Started getting to chat with a certain employee each time I was in, and told me I had to get this, it would be right up my alley. It's still my favorite Tool album, love the rawness of it. I think it's what also started me trying to find out about artists before they hit it big, something that is still a love/problem to this day!

0C51CF42-6055-4CF1-82CA-68D0D18E65D6.jpeg

Day 17: You Gotta See These Guys

I’ve actually never been to a live concert/show, mostly because I hate crowds and extremely loud noises (that last one I’ve made progress with the last few years, but not enough to go to any live shows). And while this artist passed away a long time ago, from the couple live albums I have of his & watching performances on YT, it seems like Otis Redding knew how to put on a great show.

Otis Redding - Live in Europe

C16D593E-77A6-4933-A34A-4872A2CDDDF1.jpeg

Back