June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 10 - Perfect?

Well.. I already played Dark Side which I feel is the greatest album of all time, plus someone got to it. Another one I would rank up there is Led Zeppelin II but I instead have chosen to go a lesser known route. This album is absolute perfection to me. There were many times when this CD would stay in my player in my car for a week and when it ended it would just play again. There's no telling how many times I've actually listened to it. This could also have very easily been my pick for day 12 but I really wanted to listen to it today. Some think Hello Rockview is a better album and though I love that one as well, this one is tops for me.

Less Than Jake - Losing Streak

image1 (19).jpeg

Day 13 - Lucky 13

Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe

I was quite lucky to get number 1/500 of this album. I love this record. She somehow released a debut thats a 50+ minute concept album with no filler. I’m really excited to follow her progression as an artist.

A3C84BE0-6167-42E6-8D91-215C1DB025BA.jpeg
9A4BCA22-6B57-40B3-981A-CFDCECBB39F1.jpeg

Day 13 - Lucky 13
I've never considered 13 to be unlucky, I was born on a 13.
Play an album that you were lucky to find or got an unexpected great deal on

This year was my second ever record store day as a record collector and there was one thing that I was really looking for. I saw that my store had only a few copies and I wasn't too far back in line. But when I got into the store, I found everything else I was looking for but not this one. I was about to get in line to check out, and I noticed I had missed a bin that a bunch of people had been crowded around. I managed to find the last copy they had.

Robyn - Body Talk
IMG_2212.jpeg

I actually managed to grab the last copy of all 3 of the things I was looking for, I had a very, very lucky RSD.

Day 12 - Those Were the Days

Pink Floyd - The Wall

I was 10 in 1979 when this came out and my sister bought the album. (she was 14) My mom made a point of us three sitting down together to listen, read the lyrics, look at the artwork, and decide what this album was all about. It's something I'll never forget. I didn't fully understand all of the concepts and themes as this all laid out in front of me that first time, but I loved the record and song after song made sense within the bigger story that I somewhat grasped. Later that night I had a nightmare involving 'Is there anybody out there?' (I mean, it's a pretty scary song even now) and my mom sat bedside and explained what the singer was really asking: Not of monsters outside a window like what terrified me that night, but of someone that just needs help via human contact and interaction. The music and lyrics really made an impact, even though slightly misinterpreted when I first digested them.

I can't say The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album; it's just so dark and intense I can't listen to it on the reg.

20190613_203401.jpg

Catch up time: Day 12- Takes Me Back

I worked at an organic deli which was operated by these old deadheads. Most of the music we played in the back was always the Dead with a little Jerry Garcia Band thrown in for variety. They had about ten other cd’s that weren’t the Dead and this was always my choice when I got to pick.

Day 13 - Lucky 13
I've never considered 13 to be unlucky, I was born on a 13.
Play an album that you were lucky to find or got an unexpected great deal on

Over the years I've found lots of ridiculous deals in $1 bins. Sometimes I wonder if they don't know what they have and sometimes I wonder if they don't just throw a gem in there every now and then for the hell of it.

Granted, this was obtained probably 20 years ago, but it's a gem. It was also sealed.

5F7313BA-F91F-4E03-8865-1A9533440601.jpeg

Day 10: The All Killer, No Filler "Perfect" Album.

An album where 7 of the 9 tracks become singles is pretty big thing.

Michael Jackson ‎– Thriller
Epic ‎– QE 38112, 1982

Pressed at Columbia, Carrollton

p4I7Yi.jpg

UHtDKL.jpg

Day 12 - Those Were The Days

And one of these days... I'll actually play these on the days they are supposed to be played

Juvenile - 400 Degreez

I was an elementary schooler in New Orleans when this came out. There was a certain amount of hype around any Hot Boyz release that came out around that time and put New Orleans on the national radar when it came to rap, but most of the songs off this album bring me back to being a young kid on a hot & sunny Southern day - jumping around the schoolyard or backstreets of New Orleans or backseat of a cousin's car - reciting lyrics that I half understood. And now, there's still one specific song off this album that still gets played in clubs around the nation to this day that helps make some good memories each time it plays

Day 14 - Flag Day
I still don't know if my wife is kidding when she says Flag Day is one of her favorite holidays. What does one do on Flag Day?
Play a record reflecting however you would celebrate Flag Day. Or, just play something random if the topic hurts your brain.

What do I do on Flag Day? Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit

Courtney Barnett ‎– Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit

IMG_20190614_100004.jpg

Day 14- Flag Day

Since the Toronto Raptors won the NBA title and the only reason that I was passionately rooting against them was seeing Drake act like such a douche every time a camera caught him, I thought I’d spin a Canadian record that our friends up North & I could celebrate their championship together with. We can raise their championship flag to A Case Of You.

Back