June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 18 - National Splurge Day
Play a record you splurged on.

So I already have this record. I splurged on another one because Tash Sultana signed it. It wasn't signed for me, I just bought it at a live show for $50, and it was worth it to me! Tash Sultana is awesome and anyone who gets a chance to see or hear Tash, DO IT!

IMG_20190512_221817_1.jpgIMG_20190512_221328_3.jpg
Tash Sultana - Flow State

IMG_20190618_100648.jpgIMG_20190618_100944.jpg

Day 18: splurge Day
Fall of Troy ~ Doppelganger
IMG_20190618_155911.jpg

Someone was selling it on Reddit and I had been in pretty frequent contact with enjoy the ride records hoping they would repress it but after the fourth no we won't repress I decided If I saw a decent price I'd get it. So I spent a good chunk of change on it but well worth it

Last edited:
Day 18 - National Splurge Day

David Bowie - 1. Outside

I have a general rule that I won’t spend more than 50 bucks on a single record, so it was a little hard to pick what to play for this. I think this Friday Music version cost about 40, which is pretty damn expensive for a non-canon Bowie record.

This version includes the full tracklist, so I had to go for this one. I’m sure this will be included in the standard Bowie reissue campaign, but I was afraid they’d do the original 1 LP version.

CE6A7494-9692-4803-B59E-D897E2247FA1.jpeg

Day 18 - Splurge

Umphrey's McGee - Anchor Drops

While I thought of using something from the Dylan mono box, I convinced myself that it wasn't a splurge, it was a solid deal that needed to be jumped on.
This was kinda spendy. And it's an album that I listened to countless times on CD when it came out. Did I need it on vinyl? Did I need an alternate mix? No, probably not. But, I splurged and bought it.

20190618_185755.jpg

Day 18-Splurge: My Bloody Valentine- Loveless

Bought this directly from their site along with Isn’t Anything and paid a stupid amount for shipping that made the records something like $60 each...

...I’d do it again

View attachment 7344
Good call, I'll do the other one

Day 18-Splurge: My Bloody Valentine - Isn't anything

2F618095-E519-4D97-AECA-E529AB08DEFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 19 - Repeater

As it turns out there are quite a few records that I could spin over and over again. I was wondering if I should pick an oldie or something recent and ultimately decided to go for something that maybe you guys aren't familiar with.

Babasonicos - Jessico
6647DC40-C169-4E27-8B46-B522B483561A.jpeg
A little background:
AllMusic Review by Ned Raggett
If there was any further proof needed that Latin American rock could teach most American bands a lesson, Babasonicos' amazingly entertaining Jessico is it. The Argentinians' sense of wicked humor hasn't diminished at all; consider the bemusingly suggestive cover art, not to mention just going ahead and calling one song "Pendejo." But as always it's the band's command of all sorts of styles wrapped up in an instantly addictive package that really stands out. Nearly ten years in, Babasonicos has the energy and open-mindedness of a young band crossed with the experience of an older one. Consider the opener, "Los Calientes," which has the dark synth energy of prime Depeche Mode -- say "It's No Good," for instance -- crossed with Rodriguez's warm, winning voice, a beautiful concluding orchestral part, and just enough sly funk beats to become its own beast. Throughout the band slips with perfect ease -- arguably even more fascinatingly than, say, Beck -- from yearning, passionate rock to spaghetti western guitar/orchestra to industrial vocal distortion to country twang to some polite MC work to metal-strength riffs. The last element is more cut down from earlier efforts, to be sure -- not quite as many '80s hard rock memories this time around -- but the stomp and grind of "Soy Rock" and the kick-up-your-heels blend of choppy feedback and smooth singing on "La Fox" are beauts. Then there's the part in the middle of "Pendejo" where suddenly everything turns into Black Sabbath-level doom rock of the overlords above, and why the heck not? In the midst of it all are lovely ballads like "El Loco" and the perversely titled but beautifully smooth "Toxica," which shows that Babasonicos knows how to use Argentina's own musical heritage as much as the world's to their own benefit.

Day 19: repeater repeater
Gorillaz ~ s/t

IMG_20190619_185952.jpg

Before demon days we had the self titled debut of one of the most interesting bands in the world. This album was on constant repeat thoughout middle school. Even still today I'm almost certain this spins more than demon days , Latin Simone, sound check, are just two examples of songs I can never tire of hearing .

Back