Jazz

Streaming the Jazz is Dead 8 release on Qobuz. Really good. Is the rest of the series this strong? It’s gone completely under my radar so I have no clue what it is all about! Anyone got any of the vinyl releases at all?

Finally getting around to checking out JID008. I'd say this and JID002 (Roy Ayers) are the strongest releases of the series by far. Even with that in mind, though, I'm more inclined to agree with @kafunis and @agutierrezb - I had very high hopes for this series, and don't think and don't think any of it is bad, per see, but I just haven't been blown away in the ways I expected to be when the series was announced last year.

I've still not listened to it, but just ordered a copy (on your recommendation) from Amazon Italy for £35 delivered. It must be the Cd version, I don't speak Italian but I'm sure it's says vinyl 180g. I don't know what delivery to Mexico would be & you might just not want to buy anything from Amazon, but thought I would post a link.

Amazon product ASIN B005JDFWE2

edit- just reading back through the thread @Selaws you might be interested in this
Well, this was a nice surprise that turned up this morning.

I can't believe it was so cheap, looks like a fantastic set.

As usual with Amazon, there was a bit of damage (a slight split to the left that's actually not that noticeable and doesn't go all the way through) and the inners are pretty much all slightly seam split, but for that price I'm fine with it as long as the records are decent.

Great find and thanks so much for sharing @Andy!

IMG_5164.jpg

Well, this was a nice surprise that turned up this morning.

I can't believe it was so cheap, looks like a fantastic set.

As usual with Amazon, there was a bit of damage (a slight split to the left that's actually not that noticeable and doesn't go all the way through) and the inners are pretty much all slightly seam split, but for that price I'm fine with it as long as the records are decent.

Great find and thanks so much for sharing @Andy!

View attachment 108062

Great to see you got it, I'm hoping mine will arrive tomorrow.

Was it packed well? I'm a bit nervous a I have the Lee Morgan on order from Amazon Italy. My recent order from Amazon Uk have just been thrown in a box without a mailer and without much packing.

Was it packed well? I'm a bit nervous a I have the Lee Morgan on order from Amazon Italy. My recent order from Amazon Uk have just been thrown in a box without a mailer and without much packing.
Honestly......not great. It came in their standard mailer without any extra padding. It wasn't the worst that I have seen but certainly not what you would hope for.

I also have the Lee Morgan ordered from Amazon Italy as well so I'm hoping they use something a bit better to pack it. The box set will be a lot bigger than the Miles Davis one though so I'm really hoping they don't just throw it in a regular box with paper.

Honestly......not great. It came in their standard mailer without any extra padding. It wasn't the worst that I have seen but certainly not what you would hope for.

I also have the Lee Morgan ordered from Amazon Italy as well so I'm hoping they use something a bit better to pack it. The box set will be a lot bigger than the Miles Davis one though so I'm really hoping they don't just throw it in a regular box with paper.

Hopefully it'll be boxed well

I saw people both on Reddit and Hoffman mention it. I’d be a bit surprised too but then again nothing about MMJ surprises me anymore. They have the metal work. I had also heard that they didn’t use up all of their licenses in some cases. John Dark on Facebook awhile back said MMJ had more in store but nothing specific.
Amazon.Fr have a few on pre-order (coming soon))
A68CBC47-D079-4A9B-9862-71C170C004DC.png

It won't be.

A. The Amazon warehouse picker has seconds to pack and tape the box. They don't know how much it costs and don't care - they keep their jobs by units packed, not by quality of packing.

B. At best they will throw a bit of bubble wrap in. That is all they have time for. They don't have time to try different box sizes. They grab the biggest and throw a bit of bubble wrap in. On to the next one.

C. You are getting that shipping free. There is no free. You get the fastest packing job inhumanly possible.

D. Buy at a store. That way you know it will be fine. Hoping doesn't work.

E. Jeff Bezos loves you and thanks you for helping send him to space.

Always select giftwrap when ordering big items like books or box-sets. They put the item in a thick gift bag and usually a little more padding in the shipping box. Little annoying having to add an extra expense but it cuts down on the damaged items you have to return for a new one. Also, you end up with a collection of gift bags you can reuse 😋

Last edited:
Also select giftwrap when ordering big items like books or box-sets. They put the item in a thick gift bag and usually a little more padding in the shipping box. Little annoying having to add an extra expense but it cuts down on the damaged items you have to return for a new one. Also, you end up with a collection of gift bags you can reuse 😋

Great tip

This arrived today, looks like someone had done a dance on the box. As you can imagine the sleeves are a bit creased. If the records play ok I won't bother returning them. I'm getting bored of returning stuff.

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 21.44.40.png

Wow, yeah, I just pulled the trigger on that as well. Just over $50 shipped to CA. Also, my favorite Miles band, so had to do it. Thanks!!
Miles Box boxset arrived already from Italy! Box is in great shape, first record is flat and quiet, so that's a good start. Really excited to dig into these performances. As much as I love this quintet I don't know that I've ever heard any concert recordings. Thanks again for the tip on this folks.

Further observations:

A. I have my Lee Morgan Lighthouse box today.
B. It has been shipped to physical stores this week for release next Friday.
C. It is perfect. No need to worry about Amazon shipping.
D. Free pickup, in store.
E. If you cultivate a relationship with a good local independent shop, they will be nice to you.
F. Jeff Bezos - lost another one.

This one may be intriguing too.

I started reading about this label recently after someone mentioned it. They have pressed some interesting concerts but the price tag seemed excessive when I checked. Most of the ones they had released were sold out and expensive on discogs. Seems like they have some other cool titles coming out soon:

This one may be intriguing too.

I started reading about this label recently after someone mentioned it. They have pressed some interesting concerts but the price tag seemed excessive when I checked. Most of the ones they had released were sold out and expensive on discogs. Seems like they have some other cool titles coming out soon:
A few months ago a lot of Instagram users (?) started posting about these releases. From what I read they generally are really good but the price point is obviously very high. On top of that, I think a lot of Instagram users suffered FOMO and began to buy them up, as they were available for quite a while but started selling out shortly after.

I haven't heard them so I can't comment but did look into getting one. In the end, I showed restraint (rare for me) as there was nothing that I felt I realllly needed. Would be interesting to hear if anyone here has one though.

A few months ago a lot of Instagram users (?) started posting about these releases. From what I read they generally are really good but the price point is obviously very high. On top of that, I think a lot of Instagram users suffered FOMO and began to buy them up, as they were available for quite a while but started selling out shortly after.

I haven't heard them so I can't comment but did look into getting one. In the end, I showed restraint (rare for me) as there was nothing that I felt I realllly needed. Would be interesting to hear if anyone here has one though.
Having it on AS (with free shipping) instead of having to order from Europe makes the price more feasible for me. The upcoming titles are interesting—I might see if I can get the Getz/Gilberto one.

Back