Jazz

definitely too steep. i'll post here if any go live on the MMJ site but i'm guessing that if they do, they will be marked up prices if their previous pricing structure is any indication.
It appears that MMJ are going to repress a handful of titles that are not imminent on the BN Classic series release plans. This is simply the last kick at the can for Ron Rambach to squeeze the lemon and show his disdain for buyers, as he laughs at them by charging $90 for records that (a) require no plating or mastering costs (b) he already has some license room left on and (c) are no different from Tone Poets at $35.

MMJ now means Money Matters Jazz. It`s all about taking another kick at squuezing as much cash out of the remains of MMJ as possible. Sad.

It appears that MMJ are going to repress a handful of titles that are not imminent on the BN Classic series release plans. This is simply the last kick at the can for Ron Rambach to squeeze the lemon and show his disdain for buyers, as he laughs at them by charging $90 for records that (a) require no plating or mastering costs (b) he already has some license room left on and (c) are no different from Tone Poets at $35.

MMJ now means Money Matters Jazz. It`s all about taking another kick at squuezing as much cash out of the remains of MMJ as possible. Sad.
the pricing structure really is atrocious. i've only ever ordered the SRX directly from them. Most of my other MMJs were bought on ebay or discogs for decent prices. i'm really glad the TP and Classic series exists so we don't have to deal with MMJ anymore.

A few months ago a lot of Instagram users (?) started posting about these releases. From what I read they generally are really good but the price point is obviously very high. On top of that, I think a lot of Instagram users suffered FOMO and began to buy them up, as they were available for quite a while but started selling out shortly after.

I haven't heard them so I can't comment but did look into getting one. In the end, I showed restraint (rare for me) as there was nothing that I felt I realllly needed. Would be interesting to hear if anyone here has one though.

I didn't know about this one, I saw the KG QRO combo and have shown no restraint and managed to order 2 albums in between meetings :(

edit - I was sort of expecting them to add shipping to the UK, I thought that might stop me

Cross post from the Pre-Order Thread:

Lady Blackbird - Black Acid Soul

@AndySlash Thank you!

been waiting for this. there's five tracks available, give 'em a listen.

The highly-anticipated and debut album from Lady Blackbird, Black Acid Soul, due for its long awaited release on September 3rd via Foundation Music/BMG.

With a voice that has stopped critics in their tracks, Lady Blackbird is a revelatory new talent with music that transcends the jazz scene through which the LA-based artist is rooted. Reflecting influences as varied as Billie Holiday, Gladys Knight, Tina Turner and Chaka Khan, with critics drawing comparisons to Adele, Amy and Celeste, Lady Blackbird’s distinct and beguiling talent is not one to be missed.

Honouring the great's has come as a musical process to Lady Blackbird, having recorded her highly anticipated debut album Black Acid Soul in legendary Studio B (Prince’s room) in Sunset Sound, produced by Grammy-nominated Chris Seefried.

Minimal yet rich, classic yet timely, the album connects backwards to Miles Davis (his pianist, Deron Johnson, plays Steinway Baby Grand, Mellotron and Casio Synth throughout) and forwards to Pete Tong (he made the Bruise mix of ‘Collage’ his Number Two Essential Selection tune of 2020) and, yes, Victoria Beckham – Matthew Herbert’s remix of second single ‘Beware The Stranger’ soundtracked the designer’s Spring/Summer 2020 Fashion show.

Its 11 tracks have a sound, feeling and attitude that speak of Lady Blackbird's deep experiences in music.
credits
releases September 3, 2021

Produced by Chris Seefried
A&R by Ross Allen

Deron Johnson playing Steinway Baby Grand, Mellotron, Casio Synth
Jon Flaugher playing Double Bass
Jimmy Paxson playing Drums, Percussion
Chris Seefried playing Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar
Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews playing Trumpet

Recorded and Mixed By Seth Atkins Horan
Mastered By Bernie Grundman, At Bernie Grundman Mastering LA CA
Recorded at Sunset Sound LA CA
Mixing at Gnu Gnome LA CA

This is getting a repress at the end of August apparently:

Preorder links have started popping up at various places.

Anywhere to listen?
I believe it’s the first few tracks on this playlist on YouTube:

They did an expanded CD as well but those tracks aren’t on the LP. It’s from his later years—I think less than a year before he died and it was pretty hard to find on LP before this reissue. Don’t have many details on the LP reissue though.

I believe it’s the first few tracks on this playlist on YouTube:

They did an expanded CD as well but those tracks aren’t on the LP. It’s from his later years—I think less than a year before he died and it was pretty hard to find on LP before this reissue. Don’t have many details on the LP reissue though.

Amazing! Going to try and pick it up, such a fan of Chets tone and find his music so easy to enjoy at anytime. Maybe that means it’s simple but oh well

Amazing! Going to try and pick it up, such a fan of Chets tone and find his music so easy to enjoy at anytime. Maybe that means it’s simple but oh well
Yea I’m gonna hold off for a little and then might pick it up. I’m a big fan of Chet’s too. Hoping to find out some more of the pressing details before I go for it

Also @Ghost looks like the 2nd half of that same show, Four, is also being pressed and reissued at the same time. i've been into late career Chet lately. Check out the album No Problem if you haven't yet. It's Chet with Duke Jordan on piano and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen on bass.

Back