Jazz

Did anyone here pick up the Miles Davis RSD release? I'm not a HUGE fan of the regular Jack Johnson album (I likee it, but there are other Miles albums I prefer), but the personnel on these outtakes sounds interesting. Is it any good (both music and sound-wise)?
I have it but not played it yet. JJ is my 3rd favourite Miles record (behind BB and In A Silent Way). I liked the 2 previous outtakes albums they did for RSD, I think they picked tracks that were very cohesive.

If JJ is not a big hit with you, I would imagine Champions would not really turn you around, though these tracks would be much less processed than the original album.

Did anyone here pick up the Miles Davis RSD release? I'm not a HUGE fan of the regular Jack Johnson album (I likee it, but there are other Miles albums I prefer), but the personnel on these outtakes sounds interesting. Is it any good (both music and sound-wise)?

Henderson’s bass lines make that album with it alone.

And that guitar riff halfway through the first track.

Last edited:
I really like it, but I love that period of Miles. I kind of prefer all these full take albums vs the processed originals (Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way too). They were playing so well at this time. The full take versions sort of make more sense to me as they have better flow than the cut-up ones.

I really like it, but I love that period of Miles. I kind of prefer all these full take albums vs the processed originals (Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way too). They were playing so well at this time. The full take versions sort of make more sense to me as they have better flow than the cut-up ones.
I love the studio f@ckery of that period. In A Silent Way is the precursor of so much music from the 90s and later. But I also like the complete takes as well. The artistry and musicality involved in that period is mind blowing

I love the studio f@ckery of that period. In A Silent Way is the precursor of so much music from the 90s and later. But I also like the complete takes as well. The artistry and musicality involved in that period is mind blowing
I listened to a Miles Davis doc on cassette the other day and one of the interviewees was Joe Zawinul. He said that he didn’t like the music that they were playing (for Bitches Brew) and told Miles as much. One day he was walking in CBS offices and heard music coming from an office, he asked who it was because he loved it so much and she laughed telling him it was him and Miles on Bitches Brew :ROFLMAO:

Pretty amazing in a way because Miles obviously could see how all these individual elements would slot together. But at the same time it feels slightly less in the moment knowing that the music wasn't heard or meshed in quite the same way live/during the session.

I listened to a Miles Davis doc on cassette the other day and one of the interviewees was Joe Zawinul. He said that he didn’t like the music that they were playing (for Bitches Brew) and told Miles as much. One day he was walking in CBS offices and heard music coming from an office, he asked who it was because he loved it so much and she laughed telling him it was him and Miles on Bitches Brew :ROFLMAO:

Pretty amazing in a way because Miles obviously could see how all these individual elements would slot together. But at the same time it feels slightly less in the moment knowing that the music wasn't heard or meshed in quite the same way live/during the session.

Zawinul was known to be a bit of an opinionated jerk, but so was Miles.

How much editing was done on B Brew. I know the loop on Bitches Brew and the delay on his horn, but that album is pretty untouched right?

Miles Runs the Voodoo Down has to be the funkiest track ever. Those base lines and the way miles builds his solo.

The whole album is like watching some strange mystical Afro futurist movie.

@Selaws speaking of Miles. Can you recommend a good biography on him. Looking for one that focuses on the music and recording sessions
I suppose his own biography (Miles: The Autobiography) would be the best place to start and arguably the more reliable (although im sure he embellished some areas as everyone does).

Ian Carr (the British trumpeter) released a fantastic biography that actually sounds like what you are after as he tends to focus more on the music than Davis as a person. MILES DAVIS: The Definitive Biography

For a more specific book/detailed look at a session then "Kind of Blue": The Making of the Miles Davis is a great one. The author, Ashley Kahn, also released a similar one for John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well which is good.

Zawinul was known to be a bit of an opinionated jerk, but so was Miles.

How much editing was done on B Brew. I know the loop on Bitches Brew and the delay on his horn, but that album is pretty untouched right?

Miles Runs the Voodoo Down has to be the funkiest track ever. Those base lines and the way miles builds his solo.

The whole album is like watching some strange mystical Afro futurist movie.
Might be one for @Poly-Rythmo. I dont know a whole lot about the recording of the session specifcially.

I listened to Pharaoh’s Dance on the way into work. I did not hear any edits. It reads like a improvised symphony built around a short melodic motif. The form is created by the ebb and flow of the soloists and also seems a little “conducted” somewhat in the way Zorn’s Cobra compositions are.

I like this album much better than the live stuff from this time. They were less organized. It seemed like either Miles didn’t care or couldn’t control the hallucinogen fueled behemoth that was the rhythm section was in that band.

I have these two
Miles Davis – Live At The Plugged Nickel (1982, Vinyl)
And

I haven't looked obsessively at what all the other releases have on them but had somewhat assumed to get more I needed the 10LP boxset (which I'd love but won't pay those prices for). The full set is on Spotify, I think, so maybe worth checking the tapes against that. I really love the Plugged Nickel performances but for me the 67 Live in Europe set is even better.
I hadn't listened to the Europe 67 bootleg until you suggested it, and gosh it a killer collection of performances! I like Plugged Nickel a lot, but I may agree that this is even better. The band is a very fine tuned machine at this point, with everyone playing with a ton of confidence and inventiveness. I may have to look for a copy of this boxset.

I hadn't listened to the Europe 67 bootleg until you suggested it, and gosh it a killer collection of performances! I like Plugged Nickel a lot, but I may agree that this is even better. The band is a very fine tuned machine at this point, with everyone playing with a ton of confidence and inventiveness. I may have to look for a copy of this boxset.
I think it's well worth it. For me, it rivals Kind of Blue as my favourite jazz release - I think it's that good.

I think it's well worth it. For me, it rivals Kind of Blue as my favourite jazz release - I think it's that good.

I've still not listened to it, but just ordered a copy (on your recommendation) from Amazon Italy for £35 delivered. It must be the Cd version, I don't speak Italian but I'm sure it's says vinyl 180g. I don't know what delivery to Mexico would be & you might just not want to buy anything from Amazon, but thought I would post a link.

Amazon product ASIN B005JDFWE2

edit- just reading back through the thread @Selaws you might be interested in this

Last edited:
I've still not listened to it, but just ordered a copy (on your recommendation) from Amazon Italy for £35 delivered. It must be the Cd version, I don't speak Italian but I'm sure it's says vinyl 180g. I don't know what delivery to Mexico would be & you might just not want to buy anything from Amazon, but thought I would post a link.

edit- just reading back through the thread @Selaws you might be interested in this
Cheers for this, I put the order in as well. Fingers crossed its as per the listing, its a hell of a deal.

1628028646281.png1628028683519.pngThese two focus on the music," Listen to this" breaks down how the album was put together with all the edits etc, it's a good read, The Qunitet book is a serious musical study book there are lots of musical notaion etc , I haven't got too far into that as I've only recently bought it and I have a few in the pile to get to that

@Selaws speaking of Miles. Can you recommend a good biography on him. Looking for one that focuses on the music and recording sessions

Anyone still looking for the Bill Evan's Live at Ronnie Scott that released recently on RSD? My local seems to have it for around $65.

Oh my. If this is real, then its a great deal. Thanks for sharing!

Back