Jazz

Oh my. If this is real, then its a great deal. Thanks for sharing!
I just did a thing. Shipping to Mexico was SUPER expensive (overall price was still cheaper than other places I had eyed before), but I figured it was worth it for me. Miles's 2nd Quintet is my favorite band, and I don't have any live recording of them.

Def not me trying to justify the irresponsible spending I just did a minute ago

I suppose his own biography (Miles: The Autobiography) would be the best place to start and arguably the more reliable (although im sure he embellished some areas as everyone does).

Ian Carr (the British trumpeter) released a fantastic biography that actually sounds like what you are after as he tends to focus more on the music than Davis as a person. MILES DAVIS: The Definitive Biography

For a more specific book/detailed look at a session then "Kind of Blue": The Making of the Miles Davis is a great one. The author, Ashley Kahn, also released a similar one for John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well which is good.

Might be one for @Poly-Rythmo. I dont know a whole lot about the recording of the session specifcially.
Agree. The Carr book is definitive.

The autobiography is a tough read. Miles comes across, in his own words, as quite an appaling person, particularly in his treatment of women.

I would go to the Carr book. It doesn't burst the bubble like Miles does to himself.

Nice nod to Isotope 217 "Who stole the iWalkman?"
080_500.jpg
AH! I bought the JP Beats - actually just showed up today, have yet to it down with it. I didn't even get the visual reference, though I have that Isotope record. Excited to check out the new record tonight. Love the idea of having no clue about the sound going into it.

Definitely. Many stick to the BN period as Dexter's prime, but actually, the 70's is. This is a great album.
I concur, Dexter's Prestige (OJC) recordings are great! I have the Prestige digital box set and a few of the Lp's

Last edited:
Did anyone pick this up? Is it worth pursuing?

Definitely. Many stick to the BN period as Dexter's prime, but actually, the 70's is. This is a great album.

Thanks for this question and reply. I'd not heard of this label or listened to the album, and the lineup is killer. I took a flyer and placed an order.

@RHANDMJ and everyone, How are those Dexter Steeplechase albums ?
Honestly, in terms of music you cant really go wrong with Steeplechase. They have been one of my favourite labels for ages now, affordable, fantastic music, great musicians, usually live. During the late-60's - 70's a lot of American musicians emigrated to Europe because they felt that they were more appreciated by the public. As a result the music, in my opinion, is typically a lot more relaxed. My favourite is actually their debut,
Jackie McLean ‎– Live At Montmartre, but honestly you could blind pick one and probably enjoy it.

In terms of Dexter Gordon there are a few really superb releases. 'The Meeting Vol. 1' with Jackie McLean is superb and they really stretch out together. 'Cheese Cake' and 'Apartment' are a couple of my favourites as well which specifically feature Dexter Gordon as lead. But there honestly isn't one that I haven't been a fan of so far.

As an FYI all the Steeplechases that I have heard are original copies (they are really affordable) so cant comment on the reissues.

As an extra FYI, Gearbox released a few Dexter Gordon albums from his time in Europe and they are really great. Soy Califa - Live From Magleaas Højskole 1967 and Fried Bananas

Thanks for this question and reply. I'd not heard of this label or listened to the album, and the lineup is killer. I took a flyer and placed an order.
Haven't heard of MPS - the greatest European jazz label of all time? !!! IMO, the MPS catalog is second only to BN. You NEED to get into MPS!!

The Steeplechase Dexter records range from great - The Meeting, The Apartment as Selaws rightly says - but I found with many the drawback is the European backing players, who just are not up to the top American, British or even contemporary European players of the time, becuase in live dates, Dexter during his Euro span simply used pickup players that were local.

IMO the great, great Dexter record is Homecoming on Columbia, which is hot, hot, hot all the way through and shows that, by 1980, Dexter had put everything together n his playing and had reached a superb plateau.

I met Dexter around this time - it was hard to miss him on the street, so tall! Nice guy, and he told me that he only really started to get the juice back that he had in the 60's when he came back to New York, and hooked up with a NYC band. He said he hadn't really been following that much, and what was going on there was a revelation that got him excited and they upped his game.

That night, in the club he was playing in, he arrived late and went backstage, not emerging for an hour. Getting high (weed). Then when he came on, smoke was rising from his horn.

Haven't heard of MPS - the greatest European jazz label of all time? !!! IMO, the MPS catalog is second only to BN. You NEED to get into MPS!!
Indeed, I do!! But it turns out I was slightly wrong ... I have heard of MPS but didn't realize it. I know Nathan Davis/Carmell Jones "The Hip Walk" and even just reached out to Wallen Bink to ask whether they'd be repressing it (the album) bc they're including a couple singles off it in their SABA/MPS AAA 45rpm 7" series.

Fwiw, WB replied and are not repressing the album.

Honestly, in terms of music you cant really go wrong with Steeplechase. They have been one of my favourite labels for ages now, affordable, fantastic music, great musicians, usually live. During the late-60's - 70's a lot of American musicians emigrated to Europe because they felt that they were more appreciated by the public. As a result the music, in my opinion, is typically a lot more relaxed. My favourite is actually their debut,
Jackie McLean ‎– Live At Montmartre, but honestly you could blind pick one and probably enjoy it.

In terms of Dexter Gordon there are a few really superb releases. 'The Meeting Vol. 1' with Jackie McLean is superb and they really stretch out together. 'Cheese Cake' and 'Apartment' are a couple of my favourites as well which specifically feature Dexter Gordon as lead. But there honestly isn't one that I haven't been a fan of so far.

As an FYI all the Steeplechases that I have heard are original copies (they are really affordable) so cant comment on the reissues.

As an extra FYI, Gearbox released a few Dexter Gordon albums from his time in Europe and they are really great. Soy Califa - Live From Magleaas Højskole 1967 and Fried Bananas

The Steeplechase Dexter records range from great - The Meeting, The Apartment as Selaws rightly says - but I found with many the drawback is the European backing players, who just are not up to the top American, British or even contemporary European players of the time, becuase in live dates, Dexter during his Euro span simply used pickup players that were local.

IMO the great, great Dexter record is Homecoming on Columbia, which is hot, hot, hot all the way through and shows that, by 1980, Dexter had put everything together n his playing and had reached a superb plateau.

I met Dexter around this time - it was hard to miss him on the street, so tall! Nice guy, and he told me that he only really started to get the juice back that he had in the 60's when he came back to New York, and hooked up with a NYC band. He said he hadn't really been following that much, and what was going on there was a revelation that got him excited and they upped his game.

That night, in the club he was playing in, he arrived late and went backstage, not emerging for an hour. Getting high (weed). Then when he came on, smoke was rising from his horn.

Masterclass material here! Cheers to you both!
@RHANDMJ definitely will check out Homecoming!

Indeed, I do!! But it turns out I was slightly wrong ... I have heard of MPS but didn't realize it. I know Nathan Davis/Carmell Jones "The Hip Walk" and even just reached out to Wallen Bink to ask whether they'd be repressing it (the album) bc they're including a couple singles off it in their SABA/MPS AAA 45rpm 7" series.

Fwiw, WB replied and are not repressing the album.

You should maybe try pinging Fred at Sam records, he's already issued a few Nathan Davis albums. (I'm sure you are aware and probably have them, talked about on this forum a few times).

Just in case though, if you don't have a copy of this it is being repressed next month & has the Hip walk on it.

edit - did wallet blink let tell you about any upcoming releases? I really liked the Duke Pearson

Last edited:
You should maybe try pinging Fred at Sam records, he's already issued a few Nathan Davis albums. (I'm sure you are aware and probably have them, talked about on this forum a few times).

Just in case though, if you don't have a copy of this it is being repressed next month & has the Hip walk on it.

edit - did wallet blink let tell you about any upcoming releases? I really liked the Duke Pearson
Good idea to ping Sam about The Hip Walk. I have several Sam releases and they're great, but I don't have any of Fred's Nathan Davis releases.

However, I do already have the Nathan Davis/Georges Arvanitas record on pre-order from The In Groove in the U.S., but I appreciate the suggestion regardless.

WB didn't mention any future releases, but I also asked a very specific question about that one. I have the Duke Pearson and agree it's great. WB is interesting in that they have so few releases, and what they have tends to be out the norm, like this new 7" series.

Last edited:
Good idea to ping Sam about The Hip Walk. I have several Sam releases and they're great, but I don't have any of Fred's Nathan Davis releases.

However, I do already have the Nathan Davis/Georges Arvanitas record on pre-order from The In Groove in the U.S., but I appreciate the suggestion regardless.

WB didn't mention any future releases, but I also asked a very specific question about that one. I have the Duke Pearson and agree it's great. BN is interesting in that they have so few releases, and what they have tends to be out the norm, like this new 7" series.
The Hip Walk was reissued on Speakers Corner about 10 years ago. Very well done too!

The Hip Walk was reissued on Speakers Corner about 10 years ago. Very well done too!
I saw that, but prices on Discogs are $$$. I need to find a cheaper copy than what's on Discogs. I can't imagine SC repressing given they have other albums that they repress and reliably sell out quickly and given the scarcity of pressing capacity v. pressing demand.

Streaming the Jazz is Dead 8 release on Qobuz. Really good. Is the rest of the series this strong? It’s gone completely under my radar so I have no clue what it is all about! Anyone got any of the vinyl releases at all?

I’ve heard a few of them once and never gone back for s second listen, haven’t really grabbed me, been a bit generic and boring- maybe just me!??
Streaming the Jazz is Dead 8 release on Qobuz. Really good. Is the rest of the series this strong? It’s gone completely under my radar so I have no clue what it is all about! Anyone got any of the vinyl releases at all?

I’ve heard a few of them once and never gone back for s second listen, haven’t really grabbed me, been a bit generic and boring- maybe just me!??
Same. I find them a bit generic too. It's cool that this kind of music is being made in our time, but IMO it doesn't stand out enough for me to grab any of their releases.

Back