Jazz

Hi all. I've just gotten 'round to spinning the MPS set, Oscar Peterson, exclusively for my friends. I picked it up during the Target sale -- and it's really wonderful. It almost makes up for Target cancelling Lee Morgan on me... well, not quite... but highly recommended none the less. The sound is grand. flat edge 180g. I'm 1 of 6 records in but I could be up for quite a while spinning this set.

(recent reissue, link: Oscar Peterson-Exclusively For My Friends-Vinyl Box Sets|Acoustic Sounds)

Hi all. I've just gotten 'round to spinning the MPS set, Oscar Peterson, exclusively for my friends. I picked it up during the Target sale -- and it's really wonderful. It almost makes up for Target cancelling Lee Morgan on me... well, not quite... but highly recommended none the less. The sound is grand. flat edge 180g. I'm 1 of 6 records in but I could be up for quite a while spinning this set.

(recent reissue, link: Oscar Peterson-Exclusively For My Friends-Vinyl Box Sets|Acoustic Sounds)
Very interesting, I think I will have to spring for this one shortly. Hopefully it isn't too limited. Love Oscar

Very interesting, I think I will have to spring for this one shortly. Hopefully it isn't too limited. Love Oscar

I have never loved the audio quality on most of these mps tbh.

Also @Ghost looks like the 2nd half of that same show, Four, is also being pressed and reissued at the same time. i've been into late career Chet lately. Check out the album No Problem if you haven't yet. It's Chet with Duke Jordan on piano and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen on bass.
Awesome album. Don't buy the recent reissues on vinyl though, they skip. I've been trying to find a Japanese pressing, but can't bring myself to drop $80 on clean copy.

Awesome album. Don't buy the recent reissues on vinyl though, they skip. I've been trying to find a Japanese pressing, but can't bring myself to drop $80 on clean copy.
these ones are preorders though—So it seems like a new reissue? Or do ya mean the No Problem album?

I meant the No Problem album.

This pressing in particular:

Chet Baker Quartet - No Problem

Url: Chet Baker Quartet – No Problem (2019, Vinyl)

Shared from the Discogs App
Yea it’s a shame some of that late Chet stuff hasn’t been released. There’s some really great stuff in there. I’ve been on the lookout for a good pressing of this album for awhile. Passed it up once and wish I hadn’t. I have a high res digital that sounds good for now though…

Having just spun 5 albums back to back... They sound great. The performances are exactly what it says on the tin... Small intimate set played warmly to an appreciative small audience. I've been doing some writing for work and so only had a a partial ear for critical listening... But there has been some crazy moments that made me really happy and stopped everything else. Oscar Peterson isn't my sweet spot, but shoot, this makes a heck of an argument.

For a longer view from a fancy person: Oscar Peterson In Your Living Room Via Six LP Box Set

This is by far my favourite Oscar Peterson series, as a strange coincidence, I actually posted some of the albums from the series on my Instagram a couple of days ago as it would have been his birthday.

As you probably already know @HuddieLedbetter, he recorded them in 'secret' as he was contracted to a different label at the time. In some cases, it was 5 years before they saw the light of day. As you mentioned, I just love the intimacy of them and supposedly the small group of people that made up the audience were personally selected for being die-hard fans of his, which must have been a great invite to receive!

As it happens, I have some photos to hand of Peterson and Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer which I will share, they certainly look to be having fun.

mps-crop.jpeg
Hans-Georg-Brunner-Schwer-Oscar-Peterson-private-archive-Brunner-Schwer2-1024x576.jpegOscar-Peterson-.jpeg

A bit of a break on the price ($124.02):

Amazon product ASIN B00IY26MVC

This looks cool.

Edit: Actually looks to be a few years old. Anyone seen it/know where to stream?

View attachment 108969

Here's a teaser from back in 2014:

(The first 2 minutes of the video is Tom Surgal and Nels Cline pitching the doc and seeking funders - I presume for a Kickstarter or something similar. The actual teaser starts at 2m15s, and the link hopefully takes you directly to that point.)

This looks cool.

Edit: Actually looks to be a few years old. Anyone seen it/know where to stream?

View attachment 108969

Looks like the finished version premiers next month, according to an update on the Kickstarter from 7 days ago. Not being a backer, I can't read the actual updates and am going only based on post titles and a public post from November 2019. Apparently, they added another 25 minutes after the screenings that year:

We want to update you on the progress of Fire Music. We have at long last completed the edit. We felt compelled to tell the full story behind this historic music, which we weren't able to in the initial version that premiered at the New York Film Festival. We ended up adding another 25 minutes. We are now in the final stages of obtaining all our permissions and finding a distributor.

We feel that we have produced a film that we are extremely proud of, and does justice to this vitally important and under represented form of Jazz music. We will keep you up to date on our continuing quest to find a distributor and finally getting Fire Music into the theaters for all to enjoy. More news coming soon.

It appears that MMJ are going to repress a handful of titles that are not imminent on the BN Classic series release plans. This is simply the last kick at the can for Ron Rambach to squeeze the lemon and show his disdain for buyers, as he laughs at them by charging $90 for records that (a) require no plating or mastering costs (b) he already has some license room left on and (c) are no different from Tone Poets at $35.

MMJ now means Money Matters Jazz. It`s all about taking another kick at squuezing as much cash out of the remains of MMJ as possible. Sad.
Talk about sour grapes (pun most definitely intended).

I subscribed to the 45 and 33 series. The price was a real stretch for me at that time of my life but I did it and I'm glad I did (what did Chad say, "Buy now or cry later?")? I have every single one of them. Anyway, I only bought a few SRX titles in the beginning that were not part of the previous series so I have not really been following what's been going on and I don't have time to read 1000000000 posts on the Hoffman Board that complain about whatever went on with subsequent SRX issues (and incidentally, these are not the same as Tone Poets, other than the packaging and guy cutting the lacquer). I can assure you from speaking with Ron many times over the years that he does not have disdain for his customers.

Needless to say, everyone marks up their records when things go out of print or are in limited supply - look at Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, MoFi/MD, etc. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. It's supply and demand and this is basically a one man operation. If you wait long enough and are lucky enough to live long enough, there will be another version from someone else, most likely the owner of the recordings themselves. It's Blue Note, after all.

I've had my copy for two weeks now. It is already in stores.
Oh nice!! How is it? Was waiting to pull the trigger, and most places seem to still say pre-order.

I also heard it was hand numbered/limited to 2,000 but that wasn’t advertised anywhere previously. That true?

Last edited:
Cross-post from the Preorders thread:

Popmarket is offering a discount on the purchase of the 2 Mingus albums coming from the Verve Acoustic Sounds Series. Shipping is free, and there's almost a coupon of some sort floating around (though I don't know what might be active now).

Last edited:
Back