Jazz

Didn’t catch those Tape Boxes getting delivered to your Basement??
It is hard to get Strata East tape boxes, as the label ethos was artist owned. Tolliver and Cowell I imagine are probably quite accessible, but many others are in the hands of (or estate of) the artists. In every case, rights remained with the artist, not the label. I would think an all-analog reissue campaign would be a challenge.

Pure Pleasure did quite a few, and did them very well, but not from tapes.

It is hard to get Strata East tape boxes, as the label ethos was artist owned. Tolliver and Cowell I imagine are probably quite accessible, but many others are in the hands of (or estate of) the artists. In every case, rights remained with the artist, not the label. I would think an all-analog reissue campaign would be a challenge.

Pure Pleasure did quite a few, and did them very well, but not from tapes.
Strata east has been posting some stuff on IG with pics and videos of tape boxes plus photos hanging out with Joe and KG. They have mentioned in a few cases that an AAA reissue campaign is being worked on. It could well just be Tolliver and Cowell’s work but I believe they hinted that GSH Winter in America also might be under way

Strata east has been posting some stuff on IG with pics and videos of tape boxes plus photos hanging out with Joe and KG. They have mentioned in a few cases that an AAA reissue campaign is being worked on. It could well just be Tolliver and Cowell’s work but I believe they hinted that GSH Winter in America also might be under way
Sounds good. Like I said, Tolliver and Cowell is easy. Probably the Billy Harper and a few others are easy as well. The GSH catalog was sold way long ago, so probably the tapes are well stored and easy to license.

Remember, Strata East wasn't a typical label. The artists owned their tapes and split 50/50 with the label. In a majority of cases, the material was self-recorded and the tapes offered to Strata East. I would guess that in many cases the tapes never went back to the artists, probably because they didn't ask, but in any event, with Strata East - it's complicated.

I would love for a good AAA series to happen. There is a Sonny Fortune record that is just deadly, I have a well used OG.

But that's also the thing about S-E, the recording quality varies widely and OG's were not exactly gold standard pressings. OG's can surely be massively improved on.

Last edited:

Will I have to replace my Pure Pleasure reissues?

Sounds good. Like I said, Tolliver and Cowell is easy. Probably the Billy Harper and a few others are easy as well. The GSH catalog was sold way loing ago, so probably the tapes are well stored and easy to license.

Remember, Strata East wasn't a typical label. The artists owned their tapes and split 50/50 with the label. In a majority of cases, the material was self-recorded and the tapes offered to Strata East. I would guess that in many cases the tapes never went back to the artists, probably because they didn't ask, but in any event, with Strata East - it's complicated.

I would love for a good AAA series to happen. There is a Sonny Fortune record that is just deadly, I have a well used OG.

But that's also the thing about S-E, the recording quality varies widely and OG's were not exactly gold standard pressings. OG's can surely be massively improved on.
+1 here - nice recap on Strata RH...and agree, Tolliver and Cowell were the "business" side of the label and probably knew the value of the tapes, that said their output is the most easily accessible (price/quantity wise) of the whole SE catalog if looking for originals.

I would love AAA of GSH WIA to replace my somewhat noisy original ...

BUT the #1 on my list and a record literally no-one talks about ever which is a funky jazz grail for me is Larry Ridley, Sum of The Parts which hasn't really ever seen a reissue - I actually talked to Chad on the phone about this (very long story) to do this one and of course got the typical response of no out there jazz...and Larry is still alive and maybe has the tapes...is anyone listening!!!!!

Forgot to say on this Strata East angle, I know we aren't talking about LPs but damn, Mosaic really treated the Strata East works of Charles Tolliver (two selects) and Clifford Jordan with the passion they deserve. I would not want to be without these three releases.

+1 here - nice recap on Strata RH...and agree, Tolliver and Cowell were the "business" side of the label and probably knew the value of the tapes, that said their output is the most easily accessible (price/quantity wise) of the whole SE catalog if looking for originals.

I would love AAA of GSH WIA to replace my somewhat noisy original ...

BUT the #1 on my list and a record literally no-one talks about ever which is a funky jazz grail for me is Larry Ridley, Sum of The Parts which hasn't really ever seen a reissue - I actually talked to Chad on the phone about this (very long story) to do this one and of course got the typical response of no out there jazz...and Larry is still alive and maybe has the tapes...is anyone listening!!!!!
Thanks - never knew the Larry Ridley - now that you have put me on to it, it is just crazy good and I will join you in hoping for a reissue. The Discogs price is insane.

Chad - it's not true he doesn't do 'out there' jazz, he does, in his mind. He thinks that a 1970's Louis Bellson record qualifies as 'out there'.

Thanks - never knew the Larry Ridley - now that you have put me on to it, it is just crazy good and I will join you in hoping for a reissue. The Discogs price is insane.

Chad - it's not true he doesn't do 'out there' jazz, he does, in his mind. He thinks that a 1970's Louis Bellson record qualifies as 'out there'.
yeah, its just a killer record and and been on my grail list for decades...im surprised how under the radar it has stayed given how much 'collecting' of the SE catalog has taken place of the last few years

Back