Jazz

Anyone pick up Dave Brubeck's "Lullabies" recently? I'm enjoying it very much, I love how you can almost feel the emotion coming off of his fingers in the playing, especially at 91 years old.
Yup, I picked this up to spin for my kids, but I really dig it too. I feel exactly the same way.

This looks to be a decent interview. Its with Zev Feldman from Resonance and he discusses the upcoming RSD Black Friday releases. The interview is over an hour long so I will need to put some time aside for it.

Just as an update I finished watching this earlier and WOW theres a lot to unpack.

I am so hyped for these RSD releases, Im likely going to try to get all 4 of the of them, they are just drenched in history. The fantastic thing about Resonance is their values and they make sure that the estates and artists get a fair cut, as well as involving them in the curation of the package.

If you skip to the 1:01:00 mark Zev also discusses his new project with Blue Note records. He has been brought in as an independent contractor for several projects including digital compilations (Lee Morgan, Bobby Hutcherson), the recent Art Blakey 'Just Coolin'' release, an upcoming secret project which is a "massive box set which is arguably the greatest project I have ever worked on to date".

Interestingly he also talks about having bought a ton of the Music Matters releases yet when he heard the Jackie McLean Tone Poet he was more blown away and heard things that he had never heard before from it. Very interesting.

Resonance Records are also going to be releasing some previously unreleased Roy Hargrove recordings, likely for RSD. Plus they are working on 2 coffee table books, one on the artwork of David Stone Martin and a second on the photography of producer Don Schlitten (of Prestige records).

There's a couple of BBC shows on tomorrow night which will be of interest to some of you. The first is a documentary on Ronnie Scott's which I think is the new one that was released in the past month or so (I previously shared the trailer here). Im not completely sure if it is the same one yet (it would be unusual if it was as its just been at cinema's in the past couple of weeks) but either way im sure it will be good. Thats on at 9pm.

BBC Four - Ronnie’s: Ronnie Scott and His World-Famous Jazz Club

Its then followed by Ella Fitzgerald live at Ronnie Scotts, from 1974.

Don’t know if anyone else here has Qwest TV but I HIGHLY recommend the Makaya McCraven - Live at Jazz a Sete Festival concert

My mind is being blown right now, him and his band are so on point together their energy is absolutely palpable.

Has anyone compared the Bill Evans OJCs floating around out there like the recent newbury exclusives to the Milestone Twofers? Would love to know if I should pick up some Newbury OJCs or if I’m better off with my Twofers. My village vanguard sessions sounds pretty great but my Milestone “Peace Piece and other pieces” leaves something to be desired. Also would prefer to have the individual albums than a high quality comp.

Well maybe get a peace piece in the OJC and see how it is, those 2fers tend to be pretty good, but I don’t think there is continuity with the mastering, I’ve got some Van Gelder stampers that are all right, but none of the Evans, could be the recording on Peace piece as well, not familiar with it. But recording might not be up to scratch.
Has anyone compared the Bill Evans OJCs floating around out there like the recent newbury exclusives to the Milestone Twofers? Would love to know if I should pick up some Newbury OJCs or if I’m better off with my Twofers. My village vanguard sessions sounds pretty great but my Milestone “Peace Piece and other pieces” leaves something to be desired. Also would prefer to have the individual albums than a high quality comp.

Absolutely fantastic performances on Jazz 625 tonight, it will likely be put up on BBC Iplayer soon (if not already) and I thoroughly recommend it.

Moses Boyd smashed his role of co-host and there was even an unreleased song performed at the end by Sons Of Kemet!

My second mix for Japanese KOL Radio is now online. After a volume 1 made of classic Japanese jazz tunes, this time I selected one hour of modern Japanese music (but still somehow connected to jazz) made by Kyoto Jazz Sextet, Nujabes, Naoito or Mark de Clive-Lowe (hello @Mark de Clive-Lowe), just to name a few.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Well this is exciting! A new release from Muriel Grossmann looks to becoming available soon! I know a lot of you are into her music (@Mr Moore @Skalap @kafunis @Poly-Rythmo @Russ I etc), so im sure there will be interest!

View attachment 75918
Yes, it's been marked on the biog of her site as a December release for a while. She's got some records that have been pending (a live one, I think) ever since I started following her a couple of years ago though...
Edit:Screenshot_20201121-193224_Chrome.jpg

Edit 2: Finally listened to Gilles now and it sounds incredible. Looks like that track and at least one other (Peaceful River) are re-recordings of songs from a few years back (same titles - and Wien now sounds much better than here, I think

Last edited:
Been listening to Stan Getz's "Focus" album and Im really diggin it. Can anyone recommend any similar sounding albums?

Back