Jazz

Wanted to share a quick crate digging story from this past weekend.

Went to the flea market I hit up every Saturday and bought about 60/70 albums in bulk, half of which I'll keep (mostly jazz) and the others that I will sell. As for the jazz, picked up a nice OG copy of Bobby Timmons' "Workin' Out," Brother Jack McDuff's "Plays For Beautiful People" and a 1980s DMM Grantstand for under $20. But perhaps the best find was a copy of Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas". It was pretty dirty/dusty but from what I could tell it had no major scratches. Cover was in decent shape, the top was starting to peel but the cover overall was still glossy and sturdy. The guy asked $10 for it so I figured it was probably a reissue or something, I wasn't too topical on the history of the album but its been on my shortlist.

Got home and put everything in on Discogs and turns out its a first issue, original copy with the Plastylite ear and deep groove, worth a few hundred. Put it through the SpinClean and its in really nice shape. While it has some noticeable hairline marks, I heard absolutely no surface noise or defects - it sounded superb. Probably my best crate digging find ever, and my first original Blue Note record. Thanks for indulging, figure this is the only crowd that could appreciate something like this haha

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPGIMG_2507.JPG

Went to the flea market I hit up every Saturday and bought about 60/70 albums in bulk, half of which I'll keep (mostly jazz) and the others that I will sell. As for the jazz, picked up a nice OG copy of Bobby Timmons' "Workin' Out," Brother Jack McDuff's "Plays For Beautiful People" and a 1980s DMM Grantstand for under $20. But perhaps the best find was a copy of Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas". It was pretty dirty/dusty but from what I could tell it had no major scratches. Cover was in decent shape, the top was starting to peel but the cover overall was still glossy and sturdy. The guy asked $10 for it so I figured it was probably a reissue or something, I wasn't too topical on the history of the album but its been on my shortlist.

Got home and put everything in on Discogs and turns out its a first issue, original copy with the Plastylite ear and deep groove, worth a few hundred. Put it through the SpinClean and its in really nice shape. While it has some noticeable hairline marks, I heard absolutely no surface noise or defects - it sounded superb. Probably my best crate digging find ever, and my first original Blue Note record. Thanks for indulging, figure this is the only crowd that could appreciate something like this haha

View attachment 74271

View attachment 74272

View attachment 74273View attachment 74274
Damn good one to start with as well, fantastic find buddy!

Coming to the end of side c... Axiom (the black version, I canā€™t remember why I didnā€™t get the purple, I think it may have gone up later or had a stupid price).... sounds surprisingly good especially given the warps (Michelle minimizes the pry on side a but doesnā€™t eliminate - itā€™s with in my tolerance with the clamp), the off center press and weird imprints in the grooves like it was laid on something while still warm off the press.

kind of disappointing given how nice my pressings of Stretch Music and Ancestral Recall are. It doesnā€™t detract from the music at all but it ainā€™t audiophile either. Itā€™s not as heavy (philosophically) as AR is either so a pristine pressing would have probably been a heavy spin. Oh well. Still happy to have it in the collection.

View attachment 74271

View attachment 74272

View attachment 74273View attachment 74274
Nice! Original Blue Notes.....that's the dream.

Posting my fresh grab here, as it's probably more of a Jazz post. Michael Garrick, Don Rendell / Ian Carr sextet from gearbox:

Amazon product ASIN B00ENZJHB6

@Selaws Also noticed another, old gearbox issue from Michael Garrick that might be interesting. It's referenced on the liner notes of the one above, and appears to include some vocal jazz. It was limited, but I think you can still pick up copies.

There is up to 25% off ECM & Mack Avenue at Presto records. I don't have any ECM, any recommendations?

I'll have to check out what they're offering, but one I can recommend is American Garage by the Pat Metheny Group. I've reacquainted myself with this album recently and it's very good (Lyle Mays is beyond words). The original ECM pressing sounds fantastic, so I would imagine their represses also are top quality.

Oh, and you probably can't go wrong with anything Keith Jarrett.

I purchased this one (Jack DeJohnette, Ravi Coltrane, and Matthew Garrison) recently and really like it. More mellow than I expected:

And this (Mette Henriette) is one I've had my eye on for a long time:

Thanks for posting about this sale!

Last edited:
Last edited:
There is up to 25% off ECM & Mack Avenue at Presto records. I don't have any ECM, any recommendations?

I love Wolfgang Muthspiel and Dominic Miller albums released on ECM. Mette Henriette and Avishai Cohen are great suggestions too. I would recommend Playing the Room by the later. ECM are very active on Spotify and their playlist are perfect to start with the label.

If you like a bit of free jazz, Keith Jarrett Survivors Suite And Dave Holland Conference Of The Birds ,and Chick Coreaā€™s Circle are classicā€™s, Keith Jarrett My Song is good too , more mainstream. Kenny Wheeler Deer Wan,Andrew Cyrille Lebroba is great, a lovely album, Dollar Brand solo piano album , lots of good stuff there.

Last edited:
If you like a bit of free jazz, Keith Jarrett Survivors Suite And Dave Holland Conference Of The Birds ,and Chick Coreaā€™s Circle are classicā€™s, Keith Jarrett My Song is good too , more mainstream. Kenny Wheeler Deer Wan,Andrew Cyrille Lebroba is great, a lovely album, Dollar Brand solo piano album , lots of good stuff there.

Totally forgot to suggest Lebroba. Great suggestion indeed.

I'll have to check out what they're offering, but one I can recommend is American Garage by the Pat Metheny Group. I've reacquainted myself with this album recently and it's very good (Lyle Mays is beyond words). The original ECM pressing sounds fantastic, so I would imagine their represses also are top quality.

Oh, and you probably can't go wrong with anything Keith Jarrett.

I purchased this one (Jack DeJohnette, Ravi Coltrane, and Matthew Garrison) recently and really like it. More mellow than I expected:

And this (Mette Henriette) is one I've had my eye on for a long time:

Thanks for posting about this sale!

thanks for the tips

Posting my fresh grab here, as it's probably more of a Jazz post. Michael Garrick, Don Rendell / Ian Carr sextet from gearbox:

Amazon product ASIN B00ENZJHB6

@Selaws Also noticed another, old gearbox issue from Michael Garrick that might be interesting. It's referenced on the liner notes of the one above, and appears to include some vocal jazz. It was limited, but I think you can still pick up copies.

I will reply to my own post :)

Just listening to the 'Prelude to Heart is a Lotus', and it sounds fantastic. The title track is amazing with Michael Garrick playing harpsichord, definitely reccomended.

Back