Jazz

Bit more info on the new Muriel Grossmann album, Quiet Earth. I've been lucky enough to hear it and it sounds amazing - if you like Golden Rule and/or Reverence, you'll love this. I'd slightly worried that the guitarist Radimir Milojkovic was running out of ideas but he's got some really nice playing on it and there's also some tasty Hammond as well as a great rhythm section, and Muriel herself is on her usual fantastic form. 4 tracks - Wien, African Call, Peaceful River, and Quiet Earth - adding up to 40 minutes of music. Seems like it's going to be out for pre-order on Sunday and they're aiming to get the record to people by Xmas/end of the year. Digital release is Dec 22. It's going to be there or thereabouts for my album of the year reckoning...

Muriel Grossmann-Quiet Earth front preview.png

Do you like the strings and arrangements or Getz’s playing? Or just the overall third stream type of feel? It’s a pretty unique album.
I would say the overall feel, its laid back but at the same time Getz's playing keeps you engaged.

Out of interest has anyone listened/got the new Matthew Halsall album yet? I usually dig anything he puts out but a review I read in Jazzwise magazine paints a pretty lacklustre performance. I only get the magazine every now and again, but usually find my tastes are in-line with their reviews. Saying that though, I did notice a slip-up in their review of the new Joel Ross album where they refer to it as his 'debut for Blue Note' even though it's his second.

IMG_5324.JPG

I would say the overall feel, its laid back but at the same time Getz's playing keeps you engaged.
Hmm I’m sure others can chime in. Obviously the album that helped jumpstart Jazz artists improvising over strings is Charlie Parker with Strings. I can’t really help in suggesting any other albums since it’s not something I usually reach for, but if you like some more big band things that will keep you interested, check out Mingus’ Black Saint and Let My Children... albums, albums by George Russell and Gil Evans from the 50’s and 60’s, (obviously Gil Evans’ recordings with Miles Davis too but I’m talking specifically about the albums he made with his orchestra), and maybe something like Oliver Nelson’s Blues and the Abstract Truth. Sorry if you’ve heard all of these haha!

The Blue Note store deal of the day today is 30% off the preorder of the new classics series.

I realize that three of these titles can probably be obtained for less money (and with presumably faster shipping) through the Target buy 2 get 1 sale, but I was excited to see the fourth title, Wayne Shorter's brilliant Speak No Evil, finally listed (and now it's on preorder for Amazon too but not yet on Target).

more deets

Looking more into this...it looks like every title, save one, has been released on Pure Pleasure in the past few years. The big "get" is
Wendell Harrison – Farewell to the Welfare (Unreleased, 1975) which has never been released. So if you want only one or two of these titles, I'd say get the Pure Pleasure ones. If ya want em all then the VMP is not bad value with the coupon.

Looking more into this...it looks like every title, save one, has been released on Pure Pleasure in the past few years. The big "get" is
Wendell Harrison – Farewell to the Welfare (Unreleased, 1975) which has never been released. So if you want only one or two of these titles, I'd say get the Pure Pleasure ones. If ya want em all then the VMP is not bad value with the coupon.
To be fair, it does look like these will sound the best of any pressing of these records, plus the unreleased record adds significant value. But I agree, they could've at least press them in colour vinyl (not unlike what they did with Ayalew Mesfin) to make it a bit more special than the easy to get 2018 represses.

To be fair, it does look like these will sound the best of any pressing of these records, plus the unreleased record adds significant value. But I agree, they could've at least press them in colour vinyl (not unlike what they did with Ayalew Mesfin) to make it a bit more special than the easy to get 2018 represses.
I think Pure Pleasure does an awesome job and their pressings and, for the most part, sound excellent. They are typically AAA. Don't have any of these specifically but would be interesting if anybody has the PP pressings to hear what they think of them.

I think Pure Pleasure does an awesome job and their pressings and, for the most part, sound excellent. They are typically AAA. Don't have any of these specifically but would be interesting if anybody has the PP pressings to hear what they think of them.
I have my doubts that Pure Pleasure are AAA, for three reasons. First, the masters are not in the UK and master tapes haven't travelled for over a decade. Second, PP say best available sources, but not pure analog. Best available for most PP in the UK would be digital, or at best a copy tape. There would be no copy tapes of Tribe or Strata East in the UK though, for example. Third - they use Ray Staff at AIR, who primarily cuts from digital.

But regardless, Pure Pleasure records sound fantastic, and since I have all the Tribe PP vinyl, there is no need for me to repeat purchase. For the most part, the Tribe reordings are neither fantastic audio nor essential performances. The music is fine, but not on the level of Black Jazz, Strata East, Nimbus West, CTI, Milestone or any number of labels of that era. I don't need best sounding pressings of titles that are musically average and have great sounding pressings already.

Out of interest has anyone listened/got the new Matthew Halsall album yet? I usually dig anything he puts out but a review I read in Jazzwise magazine paints a pretty lacklustre performance. I only get the magazine every now and again, but usually find my tastes are in-line with their reviews. Saying that though, I did notice a slip-up in their review of the new Joel Ross album where they refer to it as his 'debut for Blue Note' even though it's his second.

View attachment 76493
Yes, I have the digital 24/96. This is another great album by Halsall. Very relaxed, very deep.Maybe the reviewer didn't get the vibe.

I have my doubts that Pure Pleasure are AAA, for three reasons. First, the masters are not in the UK and master tapes haven't travelled for over a decade. Second, PP say best available sources, but not pure analog. Best available for most PP in the UK would be digital, or at best a copy tape. There would be no copy tapes of Tribe or Strata East in the UK though, for example. Third - they use Ray Staff at AIR, who primarily cuts from digital.

But regardless, Pure Pleasure records sound fantastic, and since I have all the Tribe PP vinyl, there is no need for me to repeat purchase. For the most part, the Tribe reordings are neither fantastic audio nor essential performances. The music is fine, but not on the level of Black Jazz, Strata East, Nimbus West, CTI, Milestone or any number of labels of that era. I don't need best sounding pressings of titles that are musically average and have great sounding pressings already.
I personally love the Tribe oeuvre but can’t disagree with your take — they’re not essential jazz titles. But for enthusiasts who love jazz on the fringe, or have interest in the Detroit scene, they’re great albums and worth checking out.

Vibes From The Tribe is the best entry point, and the PP release — while somewhat tricky to track down stateside — sounds great. If VFTT doesn’t scare you away, keep digging and your mind will be expanded.

I have most of the PP Tribe releases but I’m probably in on this box for the Harrison bonus alone.

Hoffman himself says (and the label says) that PP are indeed an analogue label who uses analogue sourcing. Hoffman, who worked on some of the PP releases, says they “often use copy tape that is acceptable to me”. They are not a digital reissue label. I also don’t believe they ever say they use master tapes—just that they are analogue sourced.

Back