Jazz

Bit of a random post but a while back I set up an Instagram account with the aim of posting one jazz record a day, with a bit of research/text behind the album. The main reason behind the idea was for it to act as a way of forcing myself to pull of some of the albums in my collection that get less play time than some of the others, I realised I was in a rut of playing the same handful of records even though the numbers in my collection is teetering upon the ridiculous.

Fast forward to now and im 4 posts shy of hitting 100 posts and I managed to stick with it everyday since I started. Its been a great success for me as I have dug out albums I had totally forgotten about, but the real benefit is in the research/readings before playing the album. I tend to take 15 minutes to read wikipedia articles, blog posts, and reviews before listening to the albums and its really pushed my listening experience to the next level.

Anyway, while setting up an account is overkill I would definitely recommend forcing yourself to pick out an obscure of forgotten album from your collection every now and again. @agutierrezb I have seen that you have done a similar thing with your 'record collection challenge', its great fun digging out the less-played records isnt it?
This is great. I've thought a lot about putting together a view of each record and walking my way through my collection that way -- my downfall has been that I typically take notes longhand with a pen and moving that to a computer has been unsuccessful. Well done and thanks for nudge

I stumbled across an interesting rabbit hole last night. It revolves around 1 specific group, Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars, which were the house band for the famous Lighthouse Club (perhaps most famous for Lee Morgan's 1971 Live at the Lighthouse 2lp live album). What is really fascinating is that while there is a core set of regular members, each album has the inclusion of at least 1 'guest' player. This means that each album is unique, with the 'guest' player/s driving the music. These include Shelly Manne, Max Roach, Red Mitchell, Hampton Hawes, Pepper Adams, Benny Golson, Charlie Persip..... Its a real treasure trove of music and I was just imagining how amazing it must have been to pop into the venue each week and seeing another surprise 'guest'. They are predominantly cool jazz, but depending who the guest is changes the tone.

On top of this, they are really affordable records to pick up. I have only streamed so far but have put orders in for first presses (in VG+ condition) for Vol-6 (which seems to consist mainly of the regular lineup and the most AMAZING cover photo), Lighthouse At Laguna (which features Shelly Manne & Hampton Hawes) and Double or Nothin' (which is essentially a Lee Morgan album the amount he is featured, but also has Red Mitchell, Charlie Persip and Benny Golson). I managed to get all 3 of these with postage (thats 3 separate parcels) for just under £30.

This is great. I've thought a lot about putting together a view of each record and walking my way through my collection that way -- my downfall has been that I typically take notes longhand with a pen and moving that to a computer has been unsuccessful. Well done and thanks for nudge
Thanks, its been such fun and in the day I regularly think about which record I will be pulling out of the stack to play. Adds a flair of musical excitement to an otherwise dreary monday for sure.

The other thing it has emphasized to me is that while buying records isn't a cheap hobby (and more so with jazz), paying more doesn't always result in better music. Skimming through my posts and I tend to throw 1-2 expensive/rarer finds in amongst relatively affordable records, and in many cases the best musically comes from those easily affordable records which anyone could go out and pick up for less than £10.

This was originally on Joe Fields' Cobblestone label with a conventional cover. This brick cover was for the CD version Joel Dorn put out at 32Jazz, which contributed some amateurish, albeit humorous, jazz album covers.

I hated the silliness at the time Dorn was putting them out, but I have changed my mind. I guess it is time to dig those black plastic cases out from the storage box and listen to some jazz from Cobblestone and Muse labels.

yep, this one

D2557D7A-76C0-42AE-A339-2216866D4A7C.jpeg

this is just a cheapy, probably scorpio but, it was the black plastic cd cased version that first introduced me to it. I can’t find it at the moment so I think I may have given it to a charity shop when I got this record version which sounds ok for a tenner.

Cafe OTO → THE NAT BIRCHALL QUARTET, Thursday 30 April 2020, 7.30pm

I have seen a few posts about Nat Birchall's new album of Yusef Lateef tributes and just wanted to share this link. Looks like he is performing at the fantastic Cafe Oto in London next year. The venue is really tiny and the 'stage' is literally a 1 step podium. I saw the Ghanaian funk /dance musician there a couple years ago and it was fantastic.

@Mr Moore I see that peter brötzmann is playing there yet again (this time a solo show) in January. Might be something that interests you?

Cafe OTO → THE NAT BIRCHALL QUARTET, Thursday 30 April 2020, 7.30pm

I have seen a few posts about Nat Birchall's new album of Yusef Lateef tributes and just wanted to share this link. Looks like he is performing at the fantastic Cafe Oto in London next year. The venue is really tiny and the 'stage' is literally a 1 step podium. I saw the Ghanaian funk /dance musician there a couple years ago and it was fantastic.

@Mr Moore I see that peter brötzmann is playing there yet again (this time a solo show) in January. Might be something that interests you?

I've got this Birchall and Anthony Braxton booked there. I might be pushing my luck with Mrs Moore and Brötzmann though!

Bit of a random post but a while back I set up an Instagram account with the aim of posting one jazz record a day, with a bit of research/text behind the album. The main reason behind the idea was for it to act as a way of forcing myself to pull of some of the albums in my collection that get less play time than some of the others, I realised I was in a rut of playing the same handful of records even though the numbers in my collection is teetering upon the ridiculous.

Fast forward to now and im 4 posts shy of hitting 100 posts and I managed to stick with it everyday since I started. Its been a great success for me as I have dug out albums I had totally forgotten about, but the real benefit is in the research/readings before playing the album. I tend to take 15 minutes to read wikipedia articles, blog posts, and reviews before listening to the albums and its really pushed my listening experience to the next level.

Anyway, while setting up an account is overkill I would definitely recommend forcing yourself to pick out an obscure of forgotten album from your collection every now and again. @agutierrezb I have seen that you have done a similar thing with your 'record collection challenge', its great fun digging out the less-played records isnt it?

Selaws.Spins 100th Post

Well I did it. 100 days and 100 posts. As I said the other day, its been really fun and a nice visual representation of my collection. Im going to continue on with it I think, maybe in the future I will be less strict in 1 per day but for now its a good way of reconnecting to albums in the collection, as well as learning more about them.

A few weeks ago I asked you guys for some recommendations on good pressings for some albums on my wanted-list. Well, I got some of those now, and on some I went way over my planned budget. But I'm (mostly) very happy with what I got.

I got a VG+/VG+ original first stereo pressing of Lee Morgan's Sidewinder, and I'm absolutely stunned about this 55-year-old record. It's quiet, flat and the sound is incredible. It definitely won't be my last BlueNote original. I love it, and it was worth every penny. Then, I treated myself with a japanese pressing of Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else", 100th anniversary of Alfred Lion series, and I love that one too. For Charles Mingus's "Mingus Ah Um" I got the suggested Music On Vinyl release, and also that one makes me really happy, especially for the price of 18€ brand-new.

The next one is the 33RPM MusicMatters release of Art Blakey's "Indestructible", which I ordered new from the MM homepage. That one gives me mixed feelings. The packaging couldn't be any better, but the record had many fingerprints on it, a few tiny hairlines and a tiny hearable scratch on side B. At the first play I could hear some static, after cleaning the record it was really quiet and sounded great, except this tiny scratch on side B which produces 2 or 3 slightly hearable pops. I mean, overall it's great, but for 85€ on one brand-new single record (incl. shipping/taxes/...) I expect perfection...

Thanks again for your recommendations, the hunt goes on, but now I just have to stay within my financial limits...

A few weeks ago I asked you guys for some recommendations on good pressings for some albums on my wanted-list. Well, I got some of those now, and on some I went way over my planned budget. But I'm (mostly) very happy with what I got.

I got a VG+/VG+ original first stereo pressing of Lee Morgan's Sidewinder, and I'm absolutely stunned about this 55-year-old record. It's quiet, flat and the sound is incredible. It definitely won't be my last BlueNote original. I love it, and it was worth every penny. Then, I treated myself with a japanese pressing of Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else", 100th anniversary of Alfred Lion series, and I love that one too. For Charles Mingus's "Mingus Ah Um" I got the suggested Music On Vinyl release, and also that one makes me really happy, especially for the price of 18€ brand-new.

The next one is the 33RPM MusicMatters release of Art Blakey's "Indestructible", which I ordered new from the MM homepage. That one gives me mixed feelings. The packaging couldn't be any better, but the record had many fingerprints on it, a few tiny hairlines and a tiny hearable scratch on side B. At the first play I could hear some static, after cleaning the record it was really quiet and sounded great, except this tiny scratch on side B which produces 2 or 3 slightly hearable pops. I mean, overall it's great, but for 85€ on one brand-new single record (incl. shipping/taxes/...) I expect perfection...

Thanks again for your recommendations, the hunt goes on, but now I just have to stay within my financial limits...
Were you using eBay or Cogs to buy these pressings outside of the MOV and MM press?

So I’m happy to say my Makaya McCraven In The Moment Deluxe Efition (Smokey bronze) is shipped! Was worried I wouldn’t get one as I placed the order after it was OOS on Bandcamp but it looks like it went through and they had another copy laying around for me. This is the second time on Bandcamp I’ve been able to add something to cart prior to it selling out and still check it out (and receive it) after it’s gone.

Sidewinder I got from Discogs, Somethin' Else from eBay.

I ordered some blue note originals from Japan on Discogs along with some King pressings, I was quite excited, thinking I got a good price, but the seller must have thought so too. He just ignored my request, wouldn't invoice me and I still have the outstanding order a month later.

I'm still to get an OG. Very happy with the BN80's and TP's though.

Wait, you ordered a record direct from MM and it came with an audible scratch and fingerprints? Email them and make a stink, that's unacceptable. The BN80 version of Indestructible sounds just as good and is only about ~$22 on Amazon, so if you're okay with a big step down in packaging, I'd go that route.

Like @botherly said, you should honestly try to return the MM Indestructible and just get the BN80 version. Can’t imagine it sounding much better than that and you’ll save $$$. I know MM customer service leaves a lot to be desired though.

I got an OG pressing of The Sidewinder a couple weeks ago along with Search For The New Land. They are both fantastic, Lee Morgan couldnt put a foot wrong IMO!

I ordered some blue note originals from Japan on Discogs along with some King pressings, I was quite excited, thinking I got a good price, but the seller must have thought so too. He just ignored my request, wouldn't invoice me and I still have the outstanding order a month later.

I'm still to get an OG. Very happy with the BN80's and TP's though.

Once you go OG you get hooked. Very dangerous for your wallet :ROFLMAO:

So I’m happy to say my Makaya McCraven In The Moment Deluxe Efition (Smokey bronze) is shipped! Was worried I wouldn’t get one as I placed the order after it was OOS on Bandcamp but it looks like it went through and they had another copy laying around for me. This is the second time on Bandcamp I’ve been able to add something to cart prior to it selling out and still check it out (and receive it) after it’s gone.
Wow thats crazy, your order must have just slipped past them. Glad to hear you are still getting the coloured pressing, the Smokey Bronze is super nice, and actually looks like the photos which is a rare treat nowadays :rolleyes:

Tubby Hayes Box Set

This looks super exciting. I’m going to wait for it to hopefully drop in price and certainly going to look into buying it. He was the best British jazz musician of his generation. I actually posted about his recently discovered album today, and just checked my emails to see the box set announcement. Weird. Here’s some information on Grits, Beans & Greens

FYI -- deepdiscount.com has the Pure Pleasure Coltrane In the Winner's Circle for $12.47 -- a steal for those in the US John Coltrane In the Winners on DeepDiscount
A range of good ones actually...sorry for the couple of non-jazz, but some good finds in there otherwise. I've no idea what version the VU 1969 is so I went in blind :)

ProductQtyCostTotal
CLARK AFTER DARK
Terry
LP
1$12.35$12.35
In the Winners
John Coltrane
LP
1$12.47$12.47
Live 1969
The Velvet Underground
LP