Jazz

Wow thats crazy, your order must have just slipped past them. Glad to hear you are still getting the coloured pressing, the Smokey Bronze is super nice, and actually looks like the photos which is a rare treat nowadays :rolleyes:
My guess is that rather than refund the money they probably just dip into overhead/reserve copies they have in the case of damaged shipments and what not. Stoked for it though, love me a good root beer brown vinyl.

I got an OG pressing of The Sidewinder a couple weeks ago along with Search For The New Land. They are both fantastic, Lee Morgan couldnt put a foot wrong IMO!

Once you go OG you get hooked. Very dangerous for your wallet :ROFLMAO:

Found an OG pressing of The Gigolo in VG+/VG shape for $17 at my local last weekend. It’s the first and only Lee Morgan record I own now, got my eyes peeled for The Sidewinder now, had a BN75 but returned it because it had horrible distortion at the high ends, believe what they call “splatting”

My guess is that rather than refund the money they probably just dip into overhead/reserve copies they have in the case of damaged shipments and what not. Stoked for it though, love me a good root beer brown vinyl.
Hahaha root beer brown is such a better description!

Found an OG pressing of The Gigolo in VG+/VG shape for $17 at my local last weekend. It’s the first and only Lee Morgan record I own now, got my eyes peeled for The Sidewinder now, had a BN75 but returned it because it had horrible distortion at the high ends, believe what they call “splatting”
Great find! The Gigalo was one of the first Morgan led records I bought. I believe Speed Ball is on that album, such a great track.

Not exactly jazz but figured most of you who are into Studio Mule would be in this thread. So I stumbled upon the Midnight in Tokyo series and I'm having massive FOMO about Vol. 1 being out of stock. The samples on kompakt.fm sound amazing. Did anyone manage to snag this?

How are Vol. 2 & 3 in comparison?

Not exactly jazz but figured most of you who are into Studio Mule would be in this thread. So I stumbled upon the Midnight in Tokyo series and I'm having massive FOMO about Vol. 1 being out of stock. The samples on kompakt.fm sound amazing. Did anyone manage to snag this?

How are Vol. 2 & 3 in comparison?
Myself and @Skalap tend to pick up the Studio Mule stuff. Im in the same situation, I bought Vol 2 & 3 a while back but Vol 1 alludes me. I have streamed it a lot and its very much in the same line as vols 2 & 3.

Myself and @Skalap tend to pick up the Studio Mule stuff. Im in the same situation, I bought Vol 2 & 3 a while back but Vol 1 alludes me. I have streamed it a lot and its very much in the same line as vols 2 & 3.

I didn't ordered any of the MiT volumes because Vol.1 is OOS, quite expensive in the 2nd hand market and I don't want to do anything bad! Though, I'll order both three volumes as soon as it's repressed and available through Kompakt :p

pssst @Skalap i checked kompakt today and they were down to 5 in stock Vol. 2's. I don't know if they update their inventory regularly but maybe worth picking up Vol. 2 now.

@Selaws you recommend Vol. 2 and 3 then?

I'm going to write them and ask if they're planning to do a repress on Vol. 1. They had written me back before about Aya's Samba, shortly when it went OOS, and told me they were repressing and not to buy on the secondary market.

pssst @Skalap i checked kompakt today and they were down to 5 in stock Vol. 2's. I don't know if they update their inventory regularly but maybe worth picking up Vol. 2 now.

I'm going to write them and ask if they're planning to do a repress on Vol. 1. They had written me back before about Aya's Samba, shortly when it went OOS, and told me they were repressing and not to buy on the secondary market.

I'll resist to FOMO (maybe). Let us know please, I have an order to place for the last Studio Mule reissues and might add these MiT records.

Yeah I liked them, its a nice mix of music on there. I recently spent some time listening to Aya's Samba and its potentially my favourite Johnnys Disk record, super good.

Wait, you ordered a record direct from MM and it came with an audible scratch and fingerprints? Email them and make a stink, that's unacceptable. The BN80 version of Indestructible sounds just as good and is only about ~$22 on Amazon, so if you're okay with a big step down in packaging, I'd go that route.
Like @botherly said, you should honestly try to return the MM Indestructible and just get the BN80 version. Can’t imagine it sounding much better than that and you’ll save $$$. I know MM customer service leaves a lot to be desired though.

I'm sitting here in Austria, across the big pond from MM, so just sending the record back to MM would cost more then the whole BN80 version of it. Initially I was actually planning on getting the BN80 version, but I always just wanted to have one of those highly appraised MM releases, and when surfing the MM homepage, and seeing that Indesctructible was available, the logical part of my brain simply turned off, and I just bought it. After cleaning the record it sounds really great, and I can live with those 2 or 3 slightly hearable pops. But I'll write an E-Mail to MM, maybe they wanna give me a store credit ;) since I've seen that there's also other nice releases available...
Long story short, I'm really happy with what I got, just expected "perfection", or better quality control for my 85€...

I got an OG pressing of The Sidewinder a couple weeks ago along with Search For The New Land. They are both fantastic, Lee Morgan couldnt put a foot wrong IMO!

I get into Lee Morgan more and more, having Sidewinder (original) and Cornbread (TP) now. I'll have to listen to Search For The New Land soon, Lee-Way made it onto my wanted list a few days ago...

Shit, I'm really hooked to Jazz now...

I get into Lee Morgan more and more, having Sidewinder (original) and Cornbread (TP) now. I'll have to listen to Search For The New Land soon, Lee-Way made it onto my wanted list a few days ago...

Shit, I'm really hooked to Jazz now...

He's one of the most consistent musicians IMO, although his life was obviously cut short so we dont know which avenues he would have taken if he had the chance.

I actually bought an OG copy of Leeway in beautiful condition a couple of days ago. Its on its way to me now but if the photos I was sent do it justice, this one is going to be really clean!

I’m surprised it’s taken this long tbh. These well predate the vinyl renaissance coupled with the jazz (and especially Spiritual jazz) trend of the day, it seems mad not to reissue if they still hold or can renegotiate the rights. I’m not a big buyer of comps on record, I tend to stream. But these are superb encyclopaedia for which artists to look out for.

Bad news concerning more Spiritual Jazz comps represses

Screenshot_2019-10-31-21-29-34-389_com.instagram.android.jpg

Still about Kompakt, this was released today :

This....sounds.....amazing

giphy.gif

Still about Kompakt, this was released today :

Seriously @Skalap I love the lo-fi DIY aspect of this. Looks like its got a wider release as its on a few other websites. Kompakt is still the cheapest I have seen but with almost 10euro shipping unfortunately. I will wait and hopefully pick it up somewhere in the UK.

Seriously @Skalap I love the lo-fi DIY aspect of this. Looks like its got a wider release as its on a few other websites. Kompakt is still the cheapest I have seen but with almost 10euro shipping unfortunately. I will wait and hopefully pick it up somewhere in the UK.

I still have to listen to this and to the other Jim O'Rourke collaboration from the same label. I'll take a bad or bad decision after that.

Edit: shipping is cheaper when you order only one record, at least it is to France.

I still have to listen to this and to the other Jim O'Rourke collaboration from the same label. I'll take a bad or bad decision after that.

Edit: shipping is cheaper when you order only one record, at least it is to France.
From the clips its a difficult one to listen to, full of background chatter and lo-fi recording equipment. BUT its also an interesting series of tracks and certainly gives the live feel. I have just finished reading a book on Sonny Rollins and the author, and Sonny, both say that the best music he ever played was in a live setting where he didn't realise he was being recorded (no pressure etc). So maybe this album with have that relaxed approach (although its hard to tell from the short clips).

Also, I may have taken an interest in this one because I have been listening to a lot of lo-fi recordings lately. For most of the year each time I go to an intimate gig (usually one where im sitting down) I have been recording the whole thing on my phones voice recorded (after checking its ok with the band/management). Some are better quality than others but they are all really listenable. The last one I went to with Binker Golding is really great.

Edit: Still looks to be 9.50 to the uk with VAT. The total is around £25 which actually seems to be the going-rate, but I would prefer to pick it up in person for that price so I might wait and hopefully see it in my local, if not il jump on the Kompakt one.

Back