Jazz

How do people feel about the Verve Vital Vinyl series? Yesterday i picked up my first from the series, a copy of Bird & Diz and I must say I'm somewhat underwhelmed. When I played it, it didn't really speak to me. Afterwards I played my new copy of Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims, from the BN80 series, and was blown away by how good it sounded in comparison, for basically the same price.

Perhaps the Bird & Diz tapes just don't sound as good, considering they are from 1950 while Jutta Hipp's record was recorded in 1956. That might explain it. Otherwise I think I won't be buying anymore from this series.

How do people feel about the Verve Vital Vinyl series? Yesterday i picked up my first from the series, a copy of Bird & Diz and I must say I'm somewhat underwhelmed. When I played it, it didn't really speak to me. Afterwards I played my new copy of Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims, from the BN80 series, and was blown away by how good it sounded in comparison, for basically the same price.

Perhaps the Bird & Diz tapes just don't sound as good, considering they are from 1950 while Jutta Hipp's record was recorded in 1956. That might explain it. Otherwise I think I won't be buying anymore from this series.
They feel pretty variable to me. My Bird & Diz was OK but agreed not BN80 good. My first Mingus x 5 wasn't great but I got a replacement copy that I thought sounded great. So in my limited experience they're fitting in somewhere between BN75 and BN80. Good to hear from others though...

They feel pretty variable to me. My Bird & Diz was OK but agreed not BN80 good. My first Mingus x 5 wasn't great but I got a replacement copy that I thought sounded great. So in my limited experience they're fitting in somewhere between BN75 and BN80. Good to hear from others though...
I picked Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth, and while the mastering was good (although not outstanding, but I may have to give it a more attentive listen), I was pretty disappointed at how noisy the pressing was. I asked for a replacement and I'm still waiting for it, but I haven't heard anyone have a similar issue with any of the BN80 records.

Bit of a random post but a while back I set up an Instagram account with the aim of posting one jazz record a day, with a bit of research/text behind the album. The main reason behind the idea was for it to act as a way of forcing myself to pull of some of the albums in my collection that get less play time than some of the others, I realised I was in a rut of playing the same handful of records even though the numbers in my collection is teetering upon the ridiculous.

Fast forward to now and im 4 posts shy of hitting 100 posts and I managed to stick with it everyday since I started. Its been a great success for me as I have dug out albums I had totally forgotten about, but the real benefit is in the research/readings before playing the album. I tend to take 15 minutes to read wikipedia articles, blog posts, and reviews before listening to the albums and its really pushed my listening experience to the next level.

Anyway, while setting up an account is overkill I would definitely recommend forcing yourself to pick out an obscure of forgotten album from your collection every now and again. @agutierrezb I have seen that you have done a similar thing with your 'record collection challenge', its great fun digging out the less-played records isnt it?

Anyway, while setting up an account is overkill I would definitely recommend forcing yourself to pick out an obscure of forgotten album from your collection every now and again. @agutierrezb I have seen that you have done a similar thing with your 'record collection challenge', its great fun digging out the less-played records isnt it?

ive been using the random item thing on discogs lately , thats fun too

I saw this on Univergowa IG (Universounds owner in Japan) this morning and forgot to tag you @Selaws, as I expected Great Harvest is also part of the Project Re:Vinyl. Too bad this record will also be part of Le Très Jazz Club next month... @ThePakoBuelna you might be interested too? I love the cover of Nio and Pigeon :)

View attachment 20667

Anyone bought straight from Universounds before? I am thinking of ordering these when they are released next week. I might also wait to see if Dustygroove gets copies.

Bit of a random post but a while back I set up an Instagram account with the aim of posting one jazz record a day, with a bit of research/text behind the album. The main reason behind the idea was for it to act as a way of forcing myself to pull of some of the albums in my collection that get less play time than some of the others, I realised I was in a rut of playing the same handful of records even though the numbers in my collection is teetering upon the ridiculous.

Fast forward to now and im 4 posts shy of hitting 100 posts and I managed to stick with it everyday since I started. Its been a great success for me as I have dug out albums I had totally forgotten about, but the real benefit is in the research/readings before playing the album. I tend to take 15 minutes to read wikipedia articles, blog posts, and reviews before listening to the albums and its really pushed my listening experience to the next level.

Yeas, it's been super fun! I've spun at least a record a day almost every day for the last 4 years, and its been super refreshing to change the dynamics on how I pick the album to play. Not only is the struggle of choosing what to listen over (since I'm "forced" to play the next record in my shelf), but I've also given my attention to albums that I rarely played before :)

Anyone bought straight from Universounds before? I am thinking of ordering these when they are released next week. I might also wait to see if Dustygroove gets copies.

I never bought from Universounds but I did from HMV. Communication was really nice, honest and helpful. Only bad things were the taxes and custom fees I had to pay when it arrived in France. Dusty Grooves uses to have record from this serie in their shop and both Nio & Pigeon and Great Harvest are already listed. From my experience, ordering from Japan is ok if you place a big order. So if I was you, for two records, I would wait. If you want more records from the serie, you should contact Universounds or HMV (their Discogs account is recordshopshibuya). Three reissues are listed but are noted as deleted on HMV shop so I don't know what to think. If you plan in ordering these three others, it might be interesting to see if these are really being reissued or not and place an order through Universounds or HMV.

1572023690394.png

I failed to pick up 1000 Kings - Raw Cause and now see that it's not easily available at list price. If anyone in the UK/ Europe sees one at a local store or at an online retailer I don't know about please let me know!

I failed to pick up 1000 Kings - Raw Cause and now see that it's not easily available at list price. If anyone in the UK/ Europe sees one at a local store or at an online retailer I don't know about please let me know!
Very strange coincidence, as I pulled this out of my stack to play the other day. First time since it came out and I’ve been streaming it at work as well. I will keep an eye out for you.

Very strange coincidence, as I pulled this out of my stack to play the other day. First time since it came out and I’ve been streaming it at work as well. I will keep an eye out for you.

Thanks! I think Jazz Re:freshed will go about repressing at some point. I really liked the album but didn't expect it to go out of print so I didn't really place it as a priority to purchase.

I am adding more Japanese jazz info (maybe I should open a different thread for J-Jazz as it exists for Blue Note or ECM?). I just saw that there is a Three Blind Mouse reissue campaign in Japan. It seems it's only CD but I wouldn't mind to see all these records reissued. A few got repressed in the last years but are already out of stock and super expensive in the 2nd hand market.

1572177264785.png

I saw this on Univergowa IG (Universounds owner in Japan) this morning and forgot to tag you @Selaws, as I expected Great Harvest is also part of the Project Re:Vinyl. Too bad this record will also be part of Le Très Jazz Club next month... @ThePakoBuelna you might be interested too? I love the cover of Nio and Pigeon :)

View attachment 20667

Will definitely check it out. Hopefully I'll remember when I'm in Japan at the end of the year!

i find myself reaching for Hank Mobleys Soul Station a lot ! if anyone got any recommendations based on this 😘

Thanks for this. I hadn't listened to Soul Station in a while. Sticky pudding that's a great album.

What do you like about Soul Station? Mobley's tone? Or that classic Hard Bop sound?

I followed it up with Roll Call - see my post in What's Spinning - Mobley's next album which is the same lineup as Soul Station, just with Freddie Hubbard as well. So obviously, I recommend that. Actually, I'm pretty sure Roll Call one of Don Was's alternate picks for the BN Anthology.

Of his solo stuff, I'd also recommend No Room For Squares. Gotta go dig through my CDs for that one.

Mobley's also awesome as a sideman on some albums I like:
Donald Byrd - A New Perspective That album is amazing, and probably my favourite Byrd album. (I think @LeeNewman just got an OG of it?).
Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban.
Miles Davis Quintet - In Person Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk.

Thanks @BazookaTooth - That was fun. Anyone else got recommendations for the "Middleweight Champion of the Tenor Sax"?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I hadn't listened to Soul Station in a while. Sticky pudding that's a great album.

What do you like about Soul Station? Mobley's tone? Or that classic Hard Bop sound?

I followed it up with Roll Call - see my post in What's Spinning - Mobley's next album which is the same lineup as Soul Station, just with Freddie Hubbard as well. So obviously, I recommend that. Actually, I'm pretty sure Roll Call one of Don Was's alternate picks for the BN Anthology.

Of his solo stuff, I'd also recommend No Room For Squares. Gotta go dig through my CDs for that one.

Mobley's also awesome as a sideman on some albums I like:
Donald Byrd - A New Perspective That album is amazing, and probably my favourite Byrd album. (I think @LeeNewman just got an OG of it?).
Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban.
Miles Davis Quintet - In Person Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk.

Thanks @BazookaTooth - That was fun. Anyone else got recommendations for the "Middleweight Champion of the Tenor Sax"?

I always enjoyed this little oddity from the early 70s, a set under the Cedar Walton/Hank Mobley Quintet name.

It’s largely a straight ahead hard bop session done well but it does branch a little farther left field on a few tracks which appeals to me.

I always enjoyed this little oddity from the early 70s, a set under the Cedar Walton/Hank Mobley Quintet name.

It’s largely a straight ahead hard bop session done well but it does branch a little farther left field on a few tracks which appeals to me.

This was originally on Joe Fields' Cobblestone label with a conventional cover. This brick cover was for the CD version Joel Dorn put out at 32Jazz, which contributed some amateurish, albeit humorous, jazz album covers.

I hated the silliness at the time Dorn was putting them out, but I have changed my mind. I guess it is time to dig those black plastic cases out from the storage box and listen to some jazz from Cobblestone and Muse labels.

Back